Physical Release Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
JWK

Re: Physical Release Thread

Postby JWK » November 4th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Just yesterday I picked up Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary and Geometry Wars 3 on PS4. Not sure about Duke, but Geometry Wars 3 is a pretty limited release and most Stores in my area only had one copy left if they had any.

I also ordered Wild Guns via the info Critic gave. Always loved that one on SNES. Also ordered physical version of Rez Infinite (PS4/PSVR) from iam8bit.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 4th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Atariboy wrote:Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved got a physical release last month on the PS4 and XB1.

Sonicx9 wrote:http://gematsu.com/2016/11/darius-30th-anniversary-edition-announced-ps4 Japan only!

Since it's potentially misleading by being posted in this thread and that article doesn't stress this, it's worth mentioning that this is primarily a collection of soundtrack CD's along with an 8th Blu-Ray video disc with gameplay videos.

Only the 9th disc is a PS4 disc and it only seems to have the recently released Arcade Archives version of the original arcade Darius, which isn't even particularly beloved by the fanbase (Although the super wide aspect ratio resulting from the original triple monitor setup will be neat to experience at home at the very least). There doesn't seem to actually be a Darius videogame compilation here.

And if one still wants this for the original Darius, it's perhaps worth mentioning that we've gotten most of the releases in the Arcade Archives line on the PS4 store and are quickly catching up with the wait between Japanese and North American releases shortening. So Darius likely isn't too far away from reaching the NA store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives

The disc with Arcade Archives Darius counts with the topic.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 4th, 2016, 10:56 pm

I didn't say that it didn't, but it could easily be misinterpreted between the poor translation, the grand sounding name, and the impressive package that it's something much more than it actually is. I know my first impressions were much different than what it apparently is.

The actual videogame component of it is very small, so it would be a shame to see someone spend ~$150 on what they might think is a collection encompassing pretty much the entire history of this franchise pre-Dariusburst, and end up surprised with just a single game that they could've downloaded for $8.

Great package for the soundtrack fans, the diehard Darius fans, and those that just love videogame collectibles. But not much of a release from a gaming standpoint in my opinion. If they ever do a budget retail line for the Arcade Archives line and release this and others on disc for 1000-2000 yen a game like Hamster did on the PS2, then we'll talk.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 5th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Atariboy wrote:I didn't say that it didn't, but it could easily be misinterpreted between the poor translation, the grand sounding name, and the impressive package that it's something much more than it actually is. I know my first impressions were much different than what it apparently is.

The actual videogame component of it is very small, so it would be a shame to see someone spend ~$150 on what they might think is a collection encompassing pretty much the entire history of this franchise pre-Dariusburst, and end up surprised with just a single game that they could've downloaded for $8.

Great package for the soundtrack fans, the diehard Darius fans, and those that just love videogame collectibles. But not much of a release from a gaming standpoint in my opinion. If they ever do a budget retail line for the Arcade Archives line and release this and others on disc for 1000-2000 yen a game like Hamster did on the PS2, then we'll talk.

I can not write it properly because I am writing this on a phone, so cut me some slack, it was related with the topic in some ways so I have the link posted for the collectors.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 5th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:I can not write it properly because I am writing this on a phone, so cut me some slack, it was related with the topic in some ways so I have the link posted for the collectors.

You did nothing wrong, so don't be so defensive about it. It's a digital release coming out on retail disc and thus fully qualifies for this topic.

I was just making sure it was quite clear that this package just contains the original arcade version of Darius, since at least in my opinion, that news article isn't particularly well written or clear on that fact.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 16th, 2016, 9:56 am

Here's one that flew under the radar. Released on November 1st for $20.

Besides the centerpiece in Pac-Man Championship Edition 2, it also includes as extras 3 of the 4 arcade classics that Namco has released under their Arcade Game Series label for the digital marketplaces on both consoles (Pac-Man, Galaga, and Dig Dug; Missing is Ms. Pac-Man).

Rev

Postby Rev » November 16th, 2016, 5:45 pm

I don't know much about Pac-Man Championship Edition. Is it an online game only or something? I'm interested in getting this just not sure what to expect.

Tron

Postby Tron » November 16th, 2016, 10:25 pm

Atariboy wrote:Here's one that flew under the radar. Released on November 1st for $20.

Besides the centerpiece in Pac-Man Championship Edition 2, it also includes as extras 3 of the 4 arcade classics that Namco has released under their Arcade Game Series label for the digital marketplaces on both consoles (Pac-Man, Galaga, and Dig Dug; Missing is Ms. Pac-Man).

I like this. Only a couple games, but nice to have. Sure I've got these on several consoles, but those consoles are all in storage so for $20 to play some Pac-Man and Galaga sounds good. Maybe Ms. Pac-man will come on another disc.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 17th, 2016, 4:16 am

snakeboy wrote:I posted this in another thread, but I thought I would add it here too...

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 is getting a physical release for PS4 and Xbox One. It will also include arcade versions of Pac-Man, Dig Dug, and Galaga:

https://www.amazon.com/Pac-Man-Champion ... +edition+2

Oops

:oops:

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » November 17th, 2016, 11:24 am

Atariboy wrote:
snakeboy wrote:I posted this in another thread, but I thought I would add it here too...

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 is getting a physical release for PS4 and Xbox One. It will also include arcade versions of Pac-Man, Dig Dug, and Galaga:

https://www.amazon.com/Pac-Man-Champion ... +edition+2

Oops

:oops:

Haha.

I wouldn't worry about it since judging by responses to your post, you're not the only one who overlooked mine.

Return to “Video Games General”