8-bit Sonic games appreciation thread

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
eneuman96

8-bit Sonic games appreciation thread

Postby eneuman96 » November 17th, 2016, 2:23 am

Sonic's outings on the Game Gear and Master System are often undeservedly ignored in my opinion. Though I don't think any of them are as good as the Genesis games, I think a fair amount of them are at least interesting and worth a try.

I personally consider the Master System versions of the first two games to be my favorite of the 8-bit titles because I feel they did the best job of maintaining the spirit of Sonic while also sporting quality level design and originality, though Tails Adventure gets brownie points as well for trying something completely different.

Rev

Re: 8-bit Sonic games appreciation thread

Postby Rev » November 17th, 2016, 9:40 am

That's really funny that the day you made this topic one of my favorite YouTubers made a video on these games. They look interesting.

https://youtu.be/6mEV1TSYQ5s

Sut

Postby Sut » November 17th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Rev wrote:That's really funny that the day you made this topic one of my favorite YouTubers made a video on these games. They look interesting.

https://youtu.be/6mEV1TSYQ5s

I really like this guy as well, he feels like one of your mates explaining a game to you.

I rather like Sonic Chaos on the Master System as well, very playable although a little on the easy side. But they managed to crank the speed up a bit.

Really need to try out the other Game Gear games.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » November 17th, 2016, 5:35 pm

Note: the Master System version of Sonic 2 is considerably more playable than the Game Gear one. There are tons of cheap moments in the Game Gear version due to the already difficult level design being unsuitable for the smaller screen. I suspect if the VGC did a review of the (PAL-exclusive) Master System version, he would give it a higher grade than the Game Gear edition.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 19th, 2016, 7:36 am

The more I have gotten in to gaming, the more I see just how bold the Master System one as a system. I mean the library for that thing had some amazing games that nintendo would never have touched. Its a shame that system doesnt get more credit.

Return to “Classic Gaming”