Games you used to like, but aged like milk.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alucard1191

Re: Games you used to like, but aged like milk.

Postby Alucard1191 » November 17th, 2016, 6:58 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Most stuff from the PS1/Saturn/N64 generation.

Specifically:

Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye

I think Goldeneye in particular is pretty putrid to play these days. I like Ocarina of Time, but I don't love it anymore. It's pretty overrated. Mario 64 feels like an ugly, empty, world compared to the beautiful NES/SNES games.

I would debate that Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 are still fun today, (As I was playing them both on my N64 recently.) but I've read that opinion on those games in particular on this site from many people, so I might be in the minority there. As for Goldeneye, I agree completely. Mainly the issue for me is the controls. Ever since the Halo revolution for FPS controls, playing older console FPS games like Turok or Goldeneye is pretty tough for me.

I also agree that the early 3d generation of games has aged the worse. My PS1 and Saturn overall are probably my least played systems, whereas my SNES and PS2 still get a load of play.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 17th, 2016, 10:22 pm

I really need to go back and get a second opinion on this, but the last time I played the Sonic the Hedgehog I was bored stiff. It just seemed so slow and primitive, especially in comparison to its sequels. I ended up quitting halfway through Stage 4.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » November 17th, 2016, 11:19 pm

I concur about most of the N64/PS1/Saturn generation having aged horribly (at least as far as 3D games are concerned) but I've always felt Super Mario 64 was an exception to the rule. It doesn't feel nearly as clunky to me as most of its contemporaries do nowadays, except maybe for the camera controls.

Donkey Kong 64, on the other hand...good lord. Rare was so hell-bent on stuffing random crap to collect into that game that they neglected to make the levels interesting at all. Though I like that it's currently the only way to play the arcade version of the original Donkey Kong legally, short of actually going to an arcade.

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » November 18th, 2016, 9:34 am

In terms of features and mechanics, fighting games, racing games and sports games have "improved" the most since the 80's or so. Take Karate Champ/Kung Fu/Kung Fu Master, Pole Position/Hang On or Bases Loaded/Double Dribble compared to today's games in the genre. Street Fighter 2 and Double Dragon alone made older fighters obsolete. Outrun made older racers obsolete. Bases Loaded and Double Dribble have been improved upon many times.

In general, though, I prefer to view games in the context in which they were originally released and can't contribute anything of my own to the list. What I liked then I still like.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 18th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:I would debate that Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 are still fun today, (As I was playing them both on my N64 recently.) but I've read that opinion on those games in particular on this site from many people, so I might be in the minority there.

No, you're right. Super Mario 64 has always been and will always be a perfect game.

jon

Postby jon » November 18th, 2016, 4:24 pm

This whole thing with people trashing Goldeneye is so ridiculous. It makes me wonder do these people not even like James Bond? Because I'm a huge James Bond fan and I love the game. Would you rather be playing Magic the Gathering or watching Marvel movies? If so, I understand such a weak opinion on Goldeneye. This game was intended for people like me that actually care about the James Bond movie franchise. Because if you could care less about the movies, then you're in no position to judge. This game is not for people who like JRPG's or think the Zelda series rocks. And even fans of Halo don't even know what they're talking about. The game was faithful to the Bond franchise and the movie Goldeneye in particular. And it felt like James Bond. That's quite an accomplishment and it's not easy to do. For that it deserves an A. The single player mode was the way to go since day 1 anyways. It's just now people are realizing that.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 18th, 2016, 6:29 pm

jon wrote:This whole thing with people trashing Goldeneye is so ridiculous. It makes me wonder do these people not even like James Bond? Because I'm a huge James Bond fan and I love the game. Would you rather be playing Magic the Gathering or watching Marvel movies? If so, I understand such a weak opinion on Goldeneye. This game was intended for people like me that actually care about the James Bond movie franchise. Because if you could care less about the movies, then you're in no position to judge. This game is not for people who like JRPG's or think the Zelda series rocks. And even fans of Halo don't even know what they're talking about. The game was faithful to the Bond franchise and the movie Goldeneye in particular. And it felt like James Bond. That's quite an accomplishment and it's not easy to do. For that it deserves an A. The single player mode was the way to go since day 1 anyways. It's just now people are realizing that.

Well, I'm not saying it isn't a good game or wasn't absolutely amazing in the mid 90's. I put so many hours on Goldeneye when it was new it's ridiculous. (And I love James Bond... mellow out on that, lol) What I am saying is that for me, the controls now are hard to handle. Playing the original Doom is easier for me than Goldeneye nowadays. Another good game that suffers from this is the Timesplitters series on Gamecube. It uses the old Goldeneye control scheme... and I would love the game so much more if it used both joysticks like Halo. (Which was out by then, so I don't know why that series in particular was made that way.)

Just the whole "holding R (or was it Z?)" to aim, and you have to stand still... hahaha. If the control scheme doesn't bother you, more power to you. I just personally can't handle that at my current age.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 19th, 2016, 12:06 am

jon wrote:This whole thing with people trashing Goldeneye is so ridiculous. It makes me wonder do these people not even like James Bond? Because I'm a huge James Bond fan and I love the game...Because if you could care less about the movies, then you're in no position to judge.

I don't have a dog in this fight (never owned a N64 as a kid and only ever played Goldeneye multiplayer at a friend's house) but the game has to stand up on its own, regardless of how faithfully it adheres to the subject matter. Batman: Arkham Asylum was a good Batman game because it was well-paced, had finely-tuned stealth and combat mechanics, told an interesting story and had engaging setpieces - that it had respect for the character and a wealth of extra content for fans was the icing on top. On the other hand, Batman for the NES didn't have nearly as much "lore" - take out the cut-scenes and reskin the character models and the game could be about anybody - but it would still be a well-made game even without the trappings of the character. The Critic will even say in his reviews sometimes to "add a letter grade" if you're a fan of the genre or franchise - he acknowledges that there are games that will appeal to some people more than they might to a more general audience.

jon wrote:Would you rather be playing Magic the Gathering or watching Marvel movies? If so, I understand such a weak opinion on Goldeneye...This game is not for people who like JRPG's or think the Zelda series rocks.

Watch where you step around here, man...you wouldn't want to get any nerd slime on you... :roll:

Return to “Classic Gaming”