Great Moments in Gaming

General and high profile video game topics.
velcrozombie

Re: Great Moments in Gaming

Postby velcrozombie » November 17th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Two more:

1. The Scarecrow hallucination sequences from Batman: Arkham Asylum, in particular the final sequence; after doing an accurate impression of your console's motherboard frying itself, the game then shows the opening cinematic sequence - except with Batman as the Joker's captive. Remember, "Use the middle stick to dodge Joker's gunfire".

2. Hilter (I mean "Master D") being resurrected in Bionic Commando for the NES. Later, you fire a bazooka through the cockpit of his escape helicopter and...well...

002-bionic-commando-front-final.png
002-bionic-commando-front-final.png (28.66 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 17th, 2016, 7:41 pm

It's always fun to kill Hitler! Check out Sniper Elite 2 the bonus missions!

Voor

Postby Voor » November 17th, 2016, 8:15 pm

^^^reminds me a bit of Glenn from the Walking Dead (though he was obviously not a murderous lunatic).

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » November 17th, 2016, 11:14 pm

velcrozombie wrote:2. Hilter (I mean "Master D") being resurrected in Bionic Commando for the NES. Later, you fire a bazooka through the cockpit of his escape helicopter and...well...

Dang, why didn't I think of exploding-head Hitler? And the fact they named him Master D in the U.S. version is pretty hilarious. I mean, what is he supposed to be, part rapper/ part der Fuhrer?

As for another great moment, how about finding the warp pipes in Super Mario Bros? It was the moment when you realized video games could be more than chasing a high score or getting from point A to point B; they were also about exploring levels and finding secrets.

Just had an idea...How about a separate topic entitled "Worst Moments in Gaming"? That one might be fun...

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » November 18th, 2016, 2:25 pm

I think one of my favorite gaming moments was Big Boo's Haunt in Super Mario 64. It seemed like every other Mario style Ghost House like from Super Mario World and Paper Mario and other games, but then I did the Red Coin Hunt star in that world. When I got into the room with the piano, that thing jumped to life with giant sharp teeth and tried to kill me! The "music" it made during that made it all the freakier for my 10 year old mind too, that was one scare I would have NEVER expected in a Mario title, and the sort of scare that I've never seen in that franchise since either.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 18th, 2016, 6:38 pm

SegaRiddle1990 wrote:I think one of my favorite gaming moments was Big Boo's Haunt in Super Mario 64. It seemed like every other Mario style Ghost House like from Super Mario World and Paper Mario and other games, but then I did the Red Coin Hunt star in that world. When I got into the room with the piano, that thing jumped to life with giant sharp teeth and tried to kill me! The "music" it made during that made it all the freakier for my 10 year old mind too, that was one scare I would have NEVER expected in a Mario title, and the sort of scare that I've never seen in that franchise since either.

Oh I can remember that first time too! What a great moment. (I wasn't quite that young... aging myself slightly, lol.) But Mario 64 has so many of those moments as well. (Also some of the most frustrating levels... looking at you, clock tower and rainbow road.)

I would nominate for 'Great moments' the first zillion times I played the original Smash Bros. on N64, not only was it a great party experience with my friends, but the specific level Saffron City, with the pokemon popping out on the building was the friggen best. I can remember numerous times where I'd be pinned or have an opponent pinned to the wall, and then a pokemon pops out... Kablammo.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 18th, 2016, 10:33 pm

The village sequence near the beginning of Resident Evil 4. You've encountered a few zombies (or whatever you'd call them) and a couple of traps thus far, but the game has really just been playing with you up until this point. Once you're spotted in the village, an unending wave of the infected converge on you from all directions - and for the first time you're genuinely scared (and thrilled) as you scramble for position and desperately try to avoid enemies from all sides. Just when you start to wonder how much longer you can survive, a bell rings and the villagers depart - leaving you to explore the deserted buildings and wonder what just happened.

Also, numerous moments near the end of Metal Gear Solid 2 - between running around doing naked flips as Raiden, the Colonel turning into an insane robot, pictures of Japanese models replacing your radar and "Fission Mailed", where the game insists that you've been killed and displays a Game Over screen...while you continue to fight in the thumbnail image in the left-hand corner:

Best-Metal-Gear-Moment-fission-mailed.jpg
Best-Metal-Gear-Moment-fission-mailed.jpg (79.53 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

Retrology

Postby Retrology » November 19th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Escaping the killer whale in the first level of Sonic Adventure. That part was amazing.

Discovering the secret slide level in Super Mario 64, then discovering there's a 2nd power star in that level.

The fake credits (Kredits) for the final boss of Donkey Kong Country.

Using a launch star for the first time in Super Mario Galaxy. The most exhilarating feeling you'll get in gaming.

The hilarious QuickTime sex scenes in God of War

Discovering the first Big Daddy in Bioshock. That's a scary one.

The co-op multiplayer in Portal 2.

Transforming into Super Sonic for the first time in Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 20th, 2016, 6:26 am

Retrology wrote:Discovering the first Big Daddy in Bioshock. That's a scary one.

That one is pretty intense too. That game is really full of classic moments... (see one of my earlier posts)

Voor

Postby Voor » November 20th, 2016, 7:16 am

Double Dragon (NES)--best intro ever. No music, no words exchanged. Bad dude punches your girl in the stomach and takes her away. You know what you need to do. Lol

Return to “Video Games General”