Happy 15th Anniversary Xbox

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JWK

Re: Happy 15th Anniversary Xbox

Postby JWK » November 21st, 2016, 11:24 am

I've always been a Nintendo guy, but the Sega offerings on XBox ALONE are worth getting the system for, even today.

Jet Set Radio Future
Shenmue 2
OutRun 2/OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast
GunValkyrie
Toe Jam & Earl III
Sega GT 2002
Crazy Taxi 3
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Sega even had publishing duties for two of the system's best action games; Otogi and Otogi 2. Metropolis Street Racer had a spiritual successor on the XBox as well; Project Gotham Racing.

The PS2 and GameCube got some decent games from Sega, but no console maker benefitted more from Sega going third party in the 6th generation than Microsoft.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » November 21st, 2016, 8:43 pm

Yes! I came here to basically say that the original Xbox was the closest modern console we had to a Sega Genesis. Much of this had to do with SEGA providing lots of exclusives, but the original Xbox had this over the top ridiculous "attitude" we hadn't seen since the mid 1990s.

I absolutely ADORE the original Xbox and it's currently one of my favorite systems to collect for. The library is filled with excellent exclusives and games of all different genres. Right now is a great time to get into the system because most of the best games can be had for next to nothing. It's sort of a bummer that the system was overshadowed by the success of Halo, because Microsoft did an excellent job support the system. Yes, I love the Gamecube and PS2...but as time goes on I find myself gravitating more and more towards the original Xbox. Great system. Happy 15th Anniversary.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 22nd, 2016, 11:31 am

Is it safe to say that the Xbox wouldn't have made it without Halo?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 22nd, 2016, 2:31 pm

There were several things that came together to give the Xbox the push it needed. Halo was one of them. The GameCube's inability to play DVDs was another. Microsoft's impossibly deep pockets were probably the most important of all. I think that there was also a considerable element of patriotism in buying the first respectable American console since the '80s crash, especially given the political climate of W's first term.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 23rd, 2016, 8:06 pm

There are so many great games on the Xbox! It was definitely my favorite console from that generation (next to the Dreamcast that is :lol: )

+1 for a Crimson Skies reboot. I'd love that! And a Metal Wolf Chaos reboot! I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the boards to have picked it up before it got super expensive.

Hey, if it wasn't for Halo and LAN gaming I'd have moved back to Oklahoma. The winters in Minnesota are rough!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 24th, 2016, 12:56 am

The REAL Xbox One! Sadly, with how they named their latest console, it seems like Microsoft would just as soon forget it ever existed. That company only cares about profits for the next quarter, nothing more.

Return to “Classic Gaming”