2016/11/25: Turbografx-16: Mr. Heli (Japan), JJ & Jeff

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/11/25: Turbografx-16: Mr. Heli (Japan), JJ & Jeff

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 25th, 2016, 12:16 pm

Feel free to comment on my latest Turbografx (PC Engine in Japan) reviews.

Tron

Re: 2016/11/25: Turbografx-16: Mr. Heli (Japan), JJ & Jeff

Postby Tron » November 25th, 2016, 2:15 pm

I think these two games have the Critic an excellent opportunity for us to examine artistic styles in games. Personally I loved Ordyne so I'm thinking Mr. Heli would appeal to me. Side-scrolling shooters are plenty on the Turbo & Ordyne is one of my faves. I think part is artistic style, yet perhaps even more is pacing. I like the pace of Ordyne, comparable to R-Type, which is another fave.

J.J and Jeff didn't appeal as much to me. Childish like Ordyne, but without the charm. More immature than childish I guess. I don't recall the controls being very good on this game. I remember lame looking kicks.

I'll have to see if I can find Mr. Heli & perhaps give JJ another chance.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 25th, 2016, 3:07 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Feel free to comment on my latest Turbografx (PC Engine in Japan) reviews.

Critic, because you like JJ & Jeff, here is an import review request related with the game, the original uncut japanese version under the name Kato-chan & Ken-chan, because the US version was heavily censored, and the uncut Japanese release is far more funnier, here is the info from tcrf: https://tcrf.net/J.J._%26_Jeff#Regional_Differences it could also act as a separate review if you want to do it if their is enough differences, critic.

Rev

Postby Rev » November 26th, 2016, 9:04 am

Great reviews. JJ & Jeff is a very interesting game, it was one of several pc engine games that is completely different in Japan. This was actually a game about two characters on a popular Japanese television show. They censored quite a few things when this game was turned into jj and Jeff.

http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?wat

The site is weird, to see the game you have to scroll down on the left and click on jj and Jeff, the site uses frames I think which are really outdated so hard to link.

Cecco

Postby Cecco » November 26th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Hi,

It's not mentioned in the review that it's an arcade conversion. Just by the looks alone, it seems pretty faithful to the original. All the negative aspects included in the review have been inherited from the arcade game and because of that, it should be considered a good thing. In the end when you buy home versions of arcade games you want it to be as close as possible to the original. If that's what you get, the development team did their job right.

Besides, having played the original game, I would say it's just a matter of merciless difficulty more than a flawed game design.

Regards

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 26th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Great feedback guys thanks. I might not normally try to track down the Japanese games when the differences are minor, but since I really like the game, I just might do it.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 26th, 2016, 1:57 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Great feedback guys thanks. I might not normally try to track down the Japanese games when the differences are minor, but since I really like the game, I just might do it.

Critic, their are two things you can do for the Kato-chan & Ken-chan review?

1. Have a separate review if their are enough major differences between Kato-chan & Ken-chan and JJ & Jeff.

2. Or have the main JJ & Jeff review text updated to have things from the Kato-chan & Ken-chan version mentioned if the differences or only minor.

It is your choice critic?

Return to “Review Feedback”