The Terminator-Genesis

The readers post their own reviews.
matmico399

The Terminator-Genesis

Postby matmico399 » November 22nd, 2016, 4:40 pm

I just really like this game. I remember playing it as a young adult in my early 20's and I got hours of enjoyment out of it. But be aware this game is very short. Only four stages. But it is four stages of blasting mayhem and I consider it very fun. No password feature. The level design is very good and the sounds of the shotgun blasting sounds as good as any. The Critic gave it a D+ and a super hard user icon. I must digress. The difficulty is tough but in my opinion not nearly as hard as advertised. Just be sure to put it on easy. I imagine hard would be close to unbeatable for most. The graphics are top notch for a Genesis game. And it stays very close to the story of the original film. Stages 1 n 2 are pretty breeze through with practice. Stages 3 n 4 a lot harder but certainly not super hard. Of course I've had a lot of practice on this so it's coming from my view. Overall a really fun game. Grade B+

Robotrek

Re: The Terminator-Genesis

Postby Robotrek » November 22nd, 2016, 10:33 pm

I personally love this game. Good to see others like it.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » November 25th, 2016, 11:43 pm

I think that game is a definate diamond in the rough for sure. Back then at least 96 percent of movie games flat out sucked but then in the 16 bit era they started doing games that were admirable and I think this game falls right in line with that trend.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 26th, 2016, 2:36 am

Have you played the Sega CD version Matmico ?
Even more awesomeness with an absolutely fantastic soundtrack.

Rod

Postby Rod » February 22nd, 2017, 3:08 pm

I remember I was psyched up by the digitized stills of the film, something that was not so common in Genesis games - and when they were present in a game, they generally sucked - which doesn't happen in this game. I found the game to be pretty faithful to the movie's storyline, and the battles against the termimator were pretty intense.

Tim

Postby Tim » February 23rd, 2017, 3:07 pm

I posted regarding this when the VGC last reviewed it. It really is a very easy game, but I think it does come across as hard when you first play it. When it was first reviewed in the UK it was either easy or hard depending on who you asked. Gamesmaster (TV) rated it highly, Mean Machines (magazine) scoffed at how easy it was. My friend brought it round my house and said, "I swear - it's hard!!" Indeed, the first level does seem hard with the huge thing you have to fight at the start, but then when you find the gun, it becomes ridiculously easy. Levels 2 and 3 are also laughably easy. When I see people refer to this game as hard, I can only assume they give up after a couple of attempts, because once you've figured out the parts that's seem tricky, there's really no stopping you. Level 4 might take a couple of attempts, but once you realise the right path to take (and it won't take long, since it only takes about 15 minutes to get here), it's all over. The quality of the game for what it is is quite high, but it kind of feels to me like so much time went into the graphics that the length of the game was neglected. For the original price, there isn't nearly enough game for your money. And as for the hard settings - there's barely any difference. The gun on level 1 is more well hidden, and Arnie when you fight him moves a bit faster, but that's really all I noticed. I had another crack on archive.org after reading the VGC's review, and completed it on my second go, having not played it probably in 20 years! So overall, it's an enjoyable blast but there's just not enough here to really call it a good game. I agree though that the Mega-CD version is brilliant, one of the shining jewels in a lacklustre library.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 23rd, 2017, 4:56 pm

Sut I did not. I have a small Sega CD collection on my Sega Cd is on the fritz.. Once I get it fixed I know I need to grab that one. I have heard nothing but great things about it.

Return to “Reader Reviews”