Movies That Get Better Upon Multiple Viewings

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Movies That Get Better Upon Multiple Viewings

Postby Retrology » November 30th, 2016, 9:36 am

A good movie can be watched more than once, but which movies actually get better upon a second viewing?

The Big Lebowski-You'll never understand the film the first time through. It's only when you watch it a second time that you see just why this movie is a classic.

Airplane!-You'll find new jokes every time you watch this movie.

Caddyshack-Take away all the filler and this could be a 30 minute flick. But then you realize how well acted the improv is, especially Bill Murray's character, and it makes the characters a lot more interesting.

The Crow-The surreal visuals and thrilling storyline get even more so when you realize the fate of the actor who played the lead.

Shrek-Like Airplane, you'll find new jokes upon multiple viewings.

The Dark Knight-Memorizing the Joker's lines alone is worth watching a second time.

Thoughts? What movies get better upon multiple viewings?

scotland

Re: Movies That Get Better Upon Multiple Viewings

Postby scotland » November 30th, 2016, 10:10 am

For watching a movie 5 or more times, it needs something special.

Movies with oodles of quotable lines. These could be comedies like Blazing Saddles or Monty Python and the Holy Grail, or dramatic films like the Godfather, Star Wars or Hunt for Red October.

Approachable classics. Not high brow or academy award winning stuff, but maybe cheaply made movies, or just one more in a popular genre, or maybe were just made for fun light entertainment but still unexpectedly captured lightning in a bottle - Casablanca and Maltese Falcon, The Magnificent Seven, Laura, Rear Window, Goldfinger, .... maybe newer movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Alien, Wall-E, Groundhog Day, etc.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 30th, 2016, 10:54 am

Donnie Darko. First time I watched it, I was scratching my head. I have seen it quite a few times now, and I grasp something new every time.

Tron

Postby Tron » December 1st, 2016, 8:18 pm

Back to the Future - I've watched this film probably 10 times. I can recite scenes from it. Love every character in it.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 2nd, 2016, 1:54 am

You said many of the movies I would say. I will add almost all Tarentino films to the list. Specifically Django and Pulp Fiction you'll catch much more on the 2nd watchings.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 2nd, 2016, 11:58 am

First 5 that come to mind:

1. Glenn Gary Glenn Ross
2. Midnight Run
3. The Matrix
4. Airplane!
5. The Natural

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 2nd, 2016, 1:17 pm

How about National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation?

It's a holiday tradition for my in-laws and me. My wife hates it, which makes it all the more fun to watch with her folks as they like it.

And as others have said Casablanca and Star Wars

A few more that come to mind are The Philadelphia Story with Katherine Hepburn and Carey Grant, The Empire Strikes Back, It's a Wonderful Life, etc.

They're classics for a reason. They're awesome on so many levels.

Return to “Other Media”