Games that would have been graded better by the critic, if he did the reviews at a different time period?

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sonicx9

Games that would have been graded better by the critic, if he did the reviews at a different time period?

Postby Sonicx9 » December 4th, 2016, 2:23 pm

In the recent wake of the somewhat controversial re-reviews of both Goldeneye 007/Perfect Dark when they where originally given high scores, but lower scores in the new reviews. It got me thinking of a similar situation on Games that would have been graded better by the critic, if he did the reviews at a different time period. As it does go hand and hand with the recent situation.

Some good examples of this.

Dead or Alive: Dimensions got a C-, but that review came out in early 2016, almost 5 years after the game originally came out when the 3DS did not have that many worthwhile games/exclusives at that time period. And the bar/standards of what was considered high regard for that system then was far lower compared to early 2016. Because by the time the critic did review the game. It was way too late and too little. Because now the bar/standards of what was considered high regard for that system was far higher thanks to the likes of Mario Kart 7, the Fire Emblem Games, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokemon Games, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate/Monster Hunter Generations, etc. Making Dead or Alive: Dimensions look like a total joke by todays standards. And mind you the critic, was not the only one not too impressed with the gmae.. HG101 was also critical to this game as well.: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/doa/doa5.htm. Yes, I know I am comparing many different 3DS games to Dead or Alive: Dimensions, but it does prove my point of how the critic would have felt if he did the review earlier back then compared to now.

Ghostbusters Sega Genesis is another example of too late/too little review, where he gave the game a C+. but that was not too long after he reviewed the two 2009 Ghostbusters game for both the PS3/Wii that raised the bar for high standards for Ghostbusters games. And that explains why the score was not that high, because if the review came out before the two 2009 Ghostbusters games. Things would have been very different indeed.

Other games such as Devil May Cry, Luigi's Mansion 1, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, etc. All got higher scores back then, but lower scores later on because of age/standards.

Their could be more examples like this, but I want to know what you guys/critic think of this because it does show how things can get worse with age for obvious reasons.

scotland

Re: Games that would have been graded better by the critic, if he did the reviews at a different time period?

Postby scotland » December 4th, 2016, 3:15 pm

My understanding is that the Critic has 2 critieria - is it fun today, and how does it compare against the rest of the library.

Graphics generally run across the library, so that wouldn't be a big reason to pick on any one game unless it did something different with its graphics, like make them 'muddy'. Other issues, like controls, level design or the AI opposition, might really be game specific. Luigi's Mansion was downgraded for 'wonky', 'incredibly awkward', and 'counterintuitive' controls on re-review.

Fun can also diminish over time, as some genres like FPS have changed and have become times of strong popularity, while the other games in the N64 library - arcade racers, for example, have not changed as much. A game is rated across its library, so being in one genre may isolate a game for being downgraded.

For Goldeneye, what did the Critic mention - "muddy" graphics for one thing, which might be peculiar to Goldeneye'. The Critic also mentions the maze like level designs, the lack of AI opponents, and the issues in multiplayer losing track of your friends. I think those are the issues the game 'isn't what it once was' - because many of those problems in the FPS genre were addressed as the genre developed.

I don't things get worse with age, but how we see them changes. Goldeneye on the correct television set is the same game its always been - it has not gotten worse, its just been left behind.

Sonicx9

Re: Games that would have been graded better by the critic, if he did the reviews at a different time period?

Postby Sonicx9 » December 4th, 2016, 3:49 pm

scotland wrote:My understanding is that the Critic has 2 critieria - is it fun today, and how does it compare against the rest of the library.

Graphics generally run across the library, so that wouldn't be a big reason to pick on any one game unless it did something different with its graphics, like make them 'muddy'. Other issues, like controls, level design or the AI opposition, might really be game specific. Luigi's Mansion was downgraded for 'wonky', 'incredibly awkward', and 'counterintuitive' controls on re-review.

Fun can also diminish over time, as some genres like FPS have changed and have become times of strong popularity, while the other games in the N64 library - arcade racers, for example, have not changed as much. A game is rated across its library, so being in one genre may isolate a game for being downgraded.

For Goldeneye, what did the Critic mention - "muddy" graphics for one thing, which might be peculiar to Goldeneye'. The Critic also mentions the maze like level designs, the lack of AI opponents, and the issues in multiplayer losing track of your friends. I think those are the issues the game 'isn't what it once was' - because many of those problems in the FPS genre were addressed as the genre developed.

I don't things get worse with age, but how we see them changes. Goldeneye on the correct television set is the same game its always been - it has not gotten worse, its just been left behind.

True, but some of the examples do show how peoples view on things can fair worse later on compared to back in the day.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 5th, 2016, 1:39 am

He needs to spend the winter rewriting the summer game reviews and set aside next summer for winter and Christmas game rewrites. Then we'll know the truth. :lol:

Return to “Review Feedback”