2016/11/30: Nintendo 64: Goldeneye 007, 007: The World Is Not Enough, Perfect Dark

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Alucard1191

Re: 2016/11/30: Nintendo 64: Goldeneye 007, 007: The World Is Not Enough, Perfect Dark

Postby Alucard1191 » December 3rd, 2016, 1:30 pm

jon wrote:Again, all I hear is multiplayer as if that should have any bearing on how good the game is. And sure for all I know there is a revolutionary way of playing FPS's and the control scheme renders Goldeneye obsolete and no one should touch it with a 10 foot pole. You can't look at it from an FPS perspective, or a multi player perspective. This is so ridiculous. I get the feeling that people try to spark up the multiplayer with friends, expecting Halo and being let down that it hasn't aged well. And then talk smack about it because they didn't have a good time with their friends. I'm glad there's another James Bond fan chiming in, because I'm not the only one. Guys, this is a one player game. I keep explaining that and all I hear is how the multiplayer sucks. The multiplayer was a fluke thing that got wildly popular. Me, I never was hot and heavy over it to begin with. Why? I know why. Because I'm a big fan of the movies and wanted to be James Bond. And how hard is it to understand that James Bond is a one player game. Is that too hard to comprehend?

So, what you're saying is that the gameplay doesn't matter as long as the format is something you like? That kind of sounds like people who are all into Dragonball games just because it's dragonball, or Kingdom hearts simply because it's disney. Is it just the strength of the brand for you? I'm honestly curious. Why can't you look at an FPS game in the perspective of other FPS games?

Retro STrife

Re: 2016/11/30: Nintendo 64: Goldeneye 007, 007: The World Is Not Enough, Perfect Dark

Postby Retro STrife » December 3rd, 2016, 4:01 pm

For what it's worth, I also only really played Goldeneye for single-player back in the day. Maybe that's why I'm not as nostalgic about the game as others...even back then, I didn't think the multiplayer was much fun. In fairness, though, I only played multiplayer on a few occasions back then and I sucked awfully at it at the time. But I always felt that I couldn't find people, I couldn't aim at people due to the bad controls, and I could unload 100 bullets in someone and still not kill them...so those aren't "new problems" to me..I always thought those were problems and disliked the multiplayer for it. Personally, when I remember Goldeneye, the first thing that pops in my head is the dam level on single player. I can't remember anything else.

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » December 3rd, 2016, 9:10 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:So, what you're saying is that the gameplay doesn't matter as long as the format is something you like? That kind of sounds like people who are all into Dragonball games just because it's dragonball, or Kingdom hearts simply because it's disney. Is it just the strength of the brand for you? I'm honestly curious. Why can't you look at an FPS game in the perspective of other FPS games?

To be fair to jon, he is praising the game for capturing the mood of James Bond, which I think is relevant to discussing the merits of the game. Now, I haven't played Goldeneye in a long time, but its adherence to the plot of the film, give or take a few liberties, has always impressed me.

jon

Postby jon » December 3rd, 2016, 9:21 pm

A lot of it is the brand because I always wanted to be James Bond. I know it's a FPS but to me it's sort of an adventure game. Goldeneye that is. To me it comes down to being James Bond. It sticks with the movie timeline with levels from the mid 1980s as well as 90s. I'm a huge fan of the movies and I think it's a treat if you're passionate about it. In almost a Bond aficionado lol. So I just really agree with other posters here they nailed it.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » December 4th, 2016, 2:37 am

For the record The World Is Not Enough isn't the Sequel To Goldeney :P that would be Tomorrow Never Dies who's Game Blew Chunks lol.

geforcefly

Postby geforcefly » December 4th, 2016, 9:17 am

I agree that GE hasn't aged as well as say Halo, but it's still a very good game. Still one of the best movie games ever. The thing that drove me crazy even more than the missions where you needed to defend a target is the fact in singleplayer you flinch when you're hit, causing cheap repetitive damage.

As for Perfect Dark, the XBLA version fixed pretty much all of the N64 version's shortcomings (framerate and controls, even if the melee button is a kludge), helping at least that version age more gracefully.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » December 5th, 2016, 12:05 am

It's fun to see a sacred cow get called out, and watch the defenders and the critics get to say their piece. I'm definitely a defender of Goldeneye, and as I said most of my passion for the game revolves around it being a great, faithful reincarnation of a James Bond experience. I agree with Jon that the brand matters, and with geforcefly that it is one of the best movie games made on any system.

Also, I'm probably tainted by the fact that I have not played much Halo or Call of Duty, so going back to Goldeneye is not a huge shock to me. I have played plenty of the newer Bond games (as well as basically every game since) and they all use dual axis controls, so I am comfortable with the design. But I'm not going to get my undies in a bunch either way.

One thing I find curious is this: C64 Critic stated that if put on an island with an N64 and told to choose 10 games, there would be a lot that were ahead of Goldeneye. If you use a standard grade scale (90 - 100 = A's, 80 - 89 = B's, etc), The Critic gives Goldeneye a C+, which would be a 79% at best. The N64 has a US catalog of 296 titles, which means The Critic would put at least 62 games ahead of it. As someone who owns the entire catalog, I certainly couldn't put that many ahead of it! Even looking at the 96 N64 games The Critic has reviewed, he would put 20 ahead of it. That seems low to me, but the beauty is we can all have our own opinions.

Either way, this kind of discussion and debate is exactly why I love this site, The Critic, and this community.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 5th, 2016, 8:16 am

I played Ms Dark on the bone and it is a great game. Very hard and unforgiving which I do like. It must have been such a breath of fresh air on the n64. That was at a time when nintendo still had its head in the game. Yes I am excited about the switch.

I played golden eye and it was good fun. I also played it sequel which was pathetic.

Though I did play the world is not enough of ps2. Not much cop to be honest. Another generic shooter under the guise of a bond game.

Good review. Liked the way all the reviews fitted the theme.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 5th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Breaker wrote:It's fun to see a sacred cow get called out, and watch the defenders and the critics get to say their piece. I'm definitely a defender of Goldeneye, and as I said most of my passion for the game revolves around it being a great, faithful reincarnation of a James Bond experience. I agree with Jon that the brand matters, and with geforcefly that it is one of the best movie games made on any system.

Also, I'm probably tainted by the fact that I have not played much Halo or Call of Duty, so going back to Goldeneye is not a huge shock to me. I have played plenty of the newer Bond games (as well as basically every game since) and they all use dual axis controls, so I am comfortable with the design. But I'm not going to get my undies in a bunch either way.

One thing I find curious is this: C64 Critic stated that if put on an island with an N64 and told to choose 10 games, there would be a lot that were ahead of Goldeneye. If you use a standard grade scale (90 - 100 = A's, 80 - 89 = B's, etc), The Critic gives Goldeneye a C+, which would be a 79% at best. The N64 has a US catalog of 296 titles, which means The Critic would put at least 62 games ahead of it. As someone who owns the entire catalog, I certainly couldn't put that many ahead of it! Even looking at the 96 N64 games The Critic has reviewed, he would put 20 ahead of it. That seems low to me, but the beauty is we can all have our own opinions.

Either way, this kind of discussion and debate is exactly why I love this site, The Critic, and this community.

I think your distribution based on a normal curve is a bit off, but the joke absolutely lands and now I'm thinking of probability distributions for N64 grades. So congrats nerd! (hahaha)

I agree though that it's really interesting to see just what interests people in their choices of games. I've already identified, as an RPG and Strategy game person, that my tastes are far different than the critics and several others on this site, but that is what makes it actually fun to read and type in.

Also, I like that civility is forced. While I certainly wouldn't want to live my life like it, (I'm rather boisterous/loud/expressive in real life) being forced to not read and write F-bombs all the time (being forced? that some kind of slip on my part?) is a nice change of pace.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » December 5th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:I think your distribution based on a normal curve is a bit off, but the joke absolutely lands and now I'm thinking of probability distributions for N64 grades. So congrats nerd! (hahaha)

I actually thought I was being pretty generous...if you loosen it up and say the top 15% are A's, next 15% are B's, the middling 40% are C's, the next 15% are D's, and the worst 15% are F's...the whole catalog would have 92 ahead of Goldeneye (or 30 of the 96 The Critic has reviewed)!

Glad you got a laugh out it, at least.

Return to “Review Feedback”