Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Genesis)

Postby Retro STrife » December 6th, 2016, 9:34 am

It's been a long long time since I've been instantly mesmerized by a retro game. Or any game for that matter... Until last night when I popped Michael Jackson's Moonwalker in my Genesis for the first time. This game just oozes style. And ridiculousness, and humor. Best walk animation in video game history goes to Michael Jackson, by a mile. The tune to Smooth Criminal playing in the background in the first levels is so perfect..you almost have to crank the volume. The rescuing of little kids (who respond with "Thanks Michael!") is weird/great, and the chimp Bubbles on his shoulder. And, while I appreciate MJ's music, it's not like I'm some huge fan, so I think most people could appreciate the game.

I can picture this game getting repetitive and tedious after awhile, but, as far as first impressions go, it's been a long time since I've been instantly surprised like that. I actually had to pull my girlfriend away from reading in bed to come see it...and she seemed mildly amused by it..which is about 99% more enthusiasm than expected at that point. I've sort of wanted this game for a while, because of the cult status nowadays (I don't think it was well-received back in the day) and because I like weird off-beat games...so I bought it last week on a whim when I saw it at a decent price ($30 for cart only). Anyone else tried this?

Rookie1

Re: Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Genesis)

Postby Rookie1 » December 7th, 2016, 8:49 am

I loved this game as a kid, in the arcade and then later when I got my Sega. I remember getting my Sega for Christmas, but not getting any games with it. My dad took me to the video store down the street (which, yes, was open on christmas day) and I rented Moonwalker and T2 arcade.

I have really been wanting to pick it up for a while now, but I want it CIB and that creeping close to $100 now. YIKES!

Slopes Game Room did a really cool retrospective on it. It is a really good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JGTO1D3yJV4

scotland

Re: Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Genesis)

Postby scotland » December 7th, 2016, 9:08 am

I don't know if anyone read those old game guides of the time. Bantam Books had a "Mastery Series" by Corey Sandler and Tom Badgett who wrote "Ultimate Sega Game Strategies for the Master and Genesis Systems" from 1990.

The very first game in the book is Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker. It has a chart of all the sprites for dancing Micheal. I remember when and where I was when first reading about the game. The book gives it an 8 out of 10 for fun, a 9 out of 10 for graphics, a 6 out of 10 for controls, and a 5 out of 5 for sound for a total of 28 points. That is the highest score in the entire book!

Of course the book also considers Phantasy Star II to be a schmup and gave it 22 points, so that book has serious issues.

Return to “Now Playing”