Browns vs Tide. Who would win?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
twilighthotel

Re: Browns vs Tide. Who would win?

Postby twilighthotel » November 20th, 2016, 9:54 am

Even weak NFL teams are filled top to bottom with players who were the best of the best in college football during their college days. Otherwise they wouldn't have been drafted or signed as street free agents after the draft.

Just because the rest of the NFL teams are far and away better than the Browns and are lapping them doesn't mean they will fall to a college team. Even the absolute best college teams have rosters in which 90% of the guys on them will never sniff an NFL roster and some of the ones who do will wash out of the league in short order.

jon

Postby jon » November 20th, 2016, 11:20 pm

Yes, weak NFL teams are filled with players that were the best college players. But a lot of these players end up being busts and obviously the worst team in the league is going to have a lot of them. I looked at the 2001 Miami Hurricanes. There were 38 players on that team taken in the NFL draft. That's way higher than 10% of the roster. And lets say even if the best teams only have 10-20 NFL players. Well, obviously those players would be starters and significant contributors in college. So if you take just as an example, the 2001 Hurricanes just as an example. Well, just about every starter got drafted. 1995 Nebraska is another team that probably had over half its starters play in the NFL. I want to go back to my first point. Let's not assume that every player that makes it to the NFL is a great player. A lot of them end up not working out. So if you take a college team that's stacked with NFL draft picks against an NFL team with a lot of busts and not that good players, I think it's very realistic for the college team to win. I'll go as far to say that if it was played in the college team's stadium, they'd probably win. Would you really bet a lot of money that the Cleveland Browns would win big at 2001 Miami or 1995 Nebraska?

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » November 27th, 2016, 9:56 am

Still think the Browns got this. As for the Canes, their QB was Dorsey who was a disgrace at the NFL level. Other problem is the college guys going into the game have no real knowledge of the NFL speed or more complex NFL playbooks. Most of them have not bulked up and reached an ideal NFL playing weight either and don't until they've been in the league a year or two.

Every college football, NFL analyst and veteran sportswriter out there who has ever addressed the question has said a bad NFL team will still beat a great college squad and I'm willing to take their word for it.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » December 2nd, 2016, 2:47 pm

This seems to come up every year. I wish one year they would just play the game, that way when the NFL team wiped the floor with the college team we could shut up about it. The Browns are terrible but they're roster is more talented, more athletic and more trained than any college team by a longshot.

Let's just say that every single player on Alabama will make it to an NFL roster. Even in that crazy scenario, you are ignoring the fact that players on a college team are between 18-22 and players on an NFL roster average around 27. You basically have children playing against men. 5 years is a lot of extra training and experience that shouldn't be ignored.

The Browns might go 0-16 this year, but against Alabama they would win 70 to 0.

Bamakdx

Postby Bamakdx » December 16th, 2016, 11:39 pm

I have been cruising this site for 10 years and have never posted but I feel I should on this topic. I live in Tuscaloosa Alabama and have attended many of the games over the years. I not sure if the Tide could beat any pro team just anywhere but if you were to come to Bryant-Denny stadium and watch it with 102,000 screaming Bama fans you might change your mind. Also, last year Alabama had more wins in Cowboys stadium then the Cowboys did. 2-1

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 17th, 2016, 6:55 am

matmico399 wrote:...they are asked what is the big difference between college and Pro, they all say the same thing. The pro game is SO much faster. Probably why so many great athletes in college never translate well to the pros. They have to adjust to how lightning fast the game is on the next level. I agree Browns win.

I'm a huge CFL (Canadian Football for anyone who doesn't know) fan, and the guys from the U.S. College system say the same thing when they come up here. The only difference is, they assume, because it's not the NFL (and is thus the second best professional gridiron league, not the first) that when they come up to Canada to play, they will walk all over the league. They always end up citing the speed of play as the most difficult part to transition to from College ball. It's why so many of them never make the transition, regardless of College numbers. If they have that problem coming here too, I imagine there's something about professional ball (and guys around you who have played it for years longer beyond College) that makes it a different animal altogether.

I've often heard this question asked of the Browns vs. whoever the best CFL team was at the time. So this year, probably the Calgary Stampeders vs. the Browns. The catch is, they have to play CFL rules, on a CFL field. :)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 17th, 2016, 11:58 am

Bamakdx wrote:I have been cruising this site for 10 years and have never posted but I feel I should on this topic. I live in Tuscaloosa Alabama and have attended many of the games over the years. I not sure if the Tide could beat any pro team just anywhere but if you were to come to Bryant-Denny stadium and watch it with 102,000 screaming Bama fans you might change your mind. Also, last year Alabama had more wins in Cowboys stadium then the Cowboys did. 2-1

Welcome to the forum Bama! I just had to reply because I think it's hilarious that you've been cruising a video game forum for 10 years and this was the one topic that finally pushed you over the edge!! But sports might be the one thing I'm more passionate about than games, so I totally feel you.... (though, your biased opinion is still completely wrong....good try)

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 21st, 2017, 11:24 am

Cubs.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » January 21st, 2017, 8:22 pm

I'd argue the Indians with a healthy rotation, but we'll never know now, will we?

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 21st, 2017, 10:47 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:I'd argue the Indians with a healthy rotation, but we'll never know now, will we?

in
Or the 2004 Cubs with a healthy Wood and Prior. Or the 1986 Bears with a healthy Jim McMahon. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Injuries are part of the game, and part of a player's value is his ability to stay healthy. I'm sure that when Theo and Jed were putting together the Cubs, they kept that in mind.

Return to “Other Media”