should i buy the xbox one ?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
imderfnz

should i buy the xbox one ?

Postby imderfnz » December 23rd, 2016, 12:26 pm

Even if i only have dial up internet ? and i can download games offline with the ps4 can the new model Xbox One's download games offline like the PS4 or should i wait for the Nintendo switch i have enough to buy it .

ptdebate

Re: should i buy the xbox one ?

Postby ptdebate » December 23rd, 2016, 3:06 pm

I would unequivocally advise against buying a current or next-generation system in the absence of high-speed internet. Their basic functionality is inseparable from that utility.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 23rd, 2016, 4:42 pm

No way. I have high speed internet and still had a problem with the One and returned it. Dial up would be nothing but misery for you. You'd never play.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » December 24th, 2016, 6:38 am

I remember trying to download a 1mb video during the AOL 2.0 days. It would take hours if the connection didnt drop or time out. Cant imagine a 20gb patch on a dial up modem. yikes.

I dont own any of these next-gen stuff, so I am not 100% sure how the internet works with them on all games. I know some games require a constant connection to be able to play a single player campaign, other are online only, some are unplayable without a day 1 patch, and if I remember correctly a game like Tony Hawk 5 didnt even have the game on the disc. It had to be downloaded once the disc was inserted.

Now Nintendo has steered away from such things in the past, but looking at their new mobile Mario game, it requires you to be online at all times to play it. And with so much proposed 3rd party support for the Switch, I can almost guarantee that 3rd party devs will push some sort of heavy use of the internet for their games.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 24th, 2016, 9:34 am

Yeah, it's just going to be frustrating, unless you research each game you want to buy to ensure that they don't require ANY online connection.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » December 24th, 2016, 10:58 am

Based on my experience with the Xbox One over at the Critic''s house, I would advise against buying one even if you have a fully functioning broadband connection... I suspect it would be completely unusable with a dial-up connection.

imderfnz

Postby imderfnz » December 24th, 2016, 11:03 am

ptdebate wrote:I would unequivocally advise against buying a current or next-generation system in the absence of high-speed internet. Their basic functionality is inseparable from that utility.
i bought the ps4 and i can play and download the games offline so ill just stick with the ps4 and not buy the xbox one and buy the nintendo switch in march.

Rev

Postby Rev » December 24th, 2016, 11:27 am

Yeah, no.... Like everyone else has said the Xbox One would be a very painful experience for you...

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 29th, 2016, 5:53 am

No broadband no point. I am sorry to echo all the other thoughts but minus a good connection it does not work very well. I like it but prefer a console that does not need constant patches. It does and about twice a month now it has a gigabyte update just to remain where it is. Just imagine trying to get that sorted on dial up, your 56k is gonna have a hard time.

Return to “Modern Gaming”