Christmas Loot

General and high profile video game topics.
Robotrek

Re: Christmas Loot

Postby Robotrek » December 27th, 2016, 2:31 pm

I got a Saiga-12 gauge shotgun. Best damned 12 gauge I've ever felt. In terms of gaming, my son got me a PS4. I'm not even disappointed, as I wouldn't have bought one otherwise. It's nice to experience Arkham Knight.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » December 27th, 2016, 3:44 pm

I thought it would be funny to buy myself a couple of gifts for Christmas, wrap them up and put "From Santa" on them. So then when I get done opening presents I play dumb and go, "Oh, what are these two gifts right here? Oh they're for me?!!?!". Let's just say my wife found it alot less amusing than I did!

I didn't really get any games, but with some Christmas Cash I'm going to buy a Wii U and some games. I think once they disappear from shelves they will be a pain to find. Plus I've wanted one for a year or so now.

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » December 27th, 2016, 4:22 pm

I did not get an NES Classic (I had owned an original "NES" system for more than 20 years), but I did get some videos games for Christmas (on discs):

Super Mario Maker for Wii U systems
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U systems
Rayman Legends for Wii U systems

My only other Wii U games before those were Super Mario 3D World (on disc), Wii Sports Club (in digital form), and EarthBound (in digital form). I had just purchased a Wii U system with my copy of Wii Sports Club through an auction on eBay back in October of this calendar year for $153.50 (shipping was free) before purchasing my copies of the others through Amazon (my copy of EarthBound did not cost me anything since I had used an electronic gift card to purchase it whereas my copy of Super Mario 3D World had costed me $9.00 plus $3.99 for shipping).

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » December 27th, 2016, 7:39 pm

I too got the Art of Atari book, along with a couple of homebrew games from Atari Age: Frenzy (7800) and Stella's Stocking (2600).

Also got three PS4 games: Geometry Wars 3, Trackmania Turbo, and Driveclub.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » December 27th, 2016, 9:26 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:I didn't really get any games, but with some Christmas Cash I'm going to buy a Wii U and some games. I think once they disappear from shelves they will be a pain to find. Plus I've wanted one for a year or so now.

Don't hold off for long if you want a new system.

The production line was closed a while back and they've been disappearing quick this month with the price sticker already stripped off Wal-Mart's case locally a week or more before Christmas, unavailable at most online retailers, and with several AtariAge users also reporting similar experiences to what I saw locally at my Wal-Mart.

In fact a quick look around online is only showing inflated prices for new systems from 3rd party sellers at sites like Amazon. Have seen speculation that Nintendo has been taking back unsold hardware inventory from retailers to clear shelves for the Switch launch in a few weeks, with the systems presumably to be resold as refurbished hardware via their online store.

I just hope the Selects reissue program continues in 2017 with Super Mario Maker, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Paper Mario Color Splash, Wii Sports Club, and Yoshi's Woolly World.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » December 28th, 2016, 10:54 am

Thanks for the heads up. I noticed a few of them the weekend before Christmas at Target and Walmart. I'll probably hustle over there and try to snatch one up before they become a huge PITA to get. I sort of figured this would happen. My gut is still telling me that the Wii U will have a Dreamcast like following years after its demise.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » December 28th, 2016, 1:19 pm

I got a gift card to gameStop for $50. I picked up Batman the Telltale Series for $20, then found out after opening it that the disc only contains Episode 1 and a season pass to allow you to download seasons 2-5. I have no problem with downloadable games, but I do have a problem with downloadable games masquerading as retail games. This disc is basically a coaster. Also, the disc didn't even work initially; it tried to charge me for episodes 2-5! I had to uninstall and re-install again to get it to work. Arg. Anyway, I tried Episode 1 and it was very action heavy but I'm hopeful it tones that down for the remaining episodes. The walking dead seasons 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games from the 360.

I also got an xbox live gift card so I downloaded gears of war 4 (and yes I'm wishing I had gotten a physical copy of this at Gamestop instead, but I had this gift card before the gamestop card).

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 28th, 2016, 10:29 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
BanjoPickles wrote:I didn't get much in the way of gaming: a $20 eshop card and that was it. Other than that, I got the Camelbak that I really wanted, along with a new hair dryer, an electric grill, and a knife. I may spend some of my own money on the Bioshock Collection.

Ahhh, to be young and have hair. :lol:

I still have lots of hair (and likely will have all of it, and some of it still brown into my 60s like my Dad), but I have never, in my life owned a hair dryer. Towel dry it, comb it down, and out the door for me. Some days that leaves me looking a bit like a hobo, but I'm already married and wasn't going to win Mr. Universe anyway, so who cares? :)

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 28th, 2016, 10:44 pm

I got a new PS3 (new new, like from WalMart). It came with The Last of Us. It also came with a huge library of games I got from PS+ from having that all this year for my PS TV.

On the plus side, the PS+ thing really, really rocks. Having a bunch of free games on PS TV already made it a bargain. I got a lot of great games there this year, including some real AAA titles. However, because I went online and "bought" the free PS3 and PS4 games every month too, when I started my PS3 for the first time I had a huge pile of games waiting to be downloaded. Real games. Like Dragon Age Origins. Yakuza 5, DiRT 3, and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Incredible deal. I'd advise getting a PS+ subscription now, even if you don't have a PlayStation platform yet, if you are intending to get one ever. If a PS3, Vita, or PS4 is in your future, start banking up games now. They'll end up costing like $1 each.

On the negative side, I now know that a good chunk of Sony fans on the internet are massive liars. Back in 2006 and 2007, they were already bragging about how much better the UI and user experience of the PS3 were than the Wii. Listen, I have a Wii, okay. It is unmodded. I now have a PS3 with the latest updates. The PS3 UI, even now in 2016, is not up to the Wii's standards, let alone the 360. I had a 360 when they had "the Blades" system, and after the first big overhaul. Either of those systems is a better UI than whatever the heck the PS3 is using. The menus and sub-menus are so poorly orgainzed, I can't believe this is a product from later than 1992.

And the user experience? Download a game for 20 minutes, then look like you can play it, but then have to wait as long again for the install? Being asked if you want to download later, then having it "preparing" to download later for 2 minutes? Preparing to download for 2 minutes? What is that? Nothing else I have ever used has taken that long to prepare to wait to do something later.

I'm aware this is a console from 2006, but so are the Wii and the 360, and BOTH have better experiences. It blows me away looking back at all those "contented" PS3 fans back in 2006. Contented? With this experience? Coming off the simple to use PS2? For $600!? Insane.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » December 29th, 2016, 4:52 am

I got some points for the Nintendo 3DS eShop. I bought Steel Empire, a remake of the Sega Genesis shmup. I enjoyed it and it looks great, but it is also very short (like half an hour short).

Return to “Video Games General”