NES games I need to review?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
goldenband

Re: NES games I need to review?

Postby goldenband » January 12th, 2017, 12:44 pm

I'm going to be a slightly dissenting voice here and say that I don't really come to this site looking for yet another review of the games everyone already worships (or hates). We don't really need a Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior review from someone who doesn't especially like RPGs, or at least that kind of RPG.

Your energies are better spent pursuing the things you find interesting, and/or shedding light on games that haven't gotten a lot of attention, rather than those that already have. Conceived in ideal terms, your job isn't to validate fanboys' existing prejudices, but to broaden horizons. And I don't think a game's quality or popularity is a good metric of whether it deserves priority for a review.

(all IMHO, of course)

That said, there are some games on the list I'm surprised to see you haven't covered yet, and would make for interesting reviews. Double Dragon III is an obvious one, though you probably won't like it, but it would complete your review of the NES series. Kid Niki is simplistic-looking but fun and easy, with some interesting secrets, and will be pleasant to write about. Faxanadu and The Guardian Legend are well-made action RPGs (more or less) that were staples of my childhood. Kickle Cubicle is a very solid action-puzzler.

As a boxing game, Ring King is in your wheelhouse and was ubiquitous back in the day, so it's certainly worth a post. Pro Wrestling, same deal. Lode Runner was huge in its day and deserves discussion. The second and third Lolo games are fine succcessors to the first. Battle of Olympus is a lot like Zelda II, and I think you'd enjoy the gameplay (whether you'd enjoy the backtrack-heavy quest is another story). Golgo 13 is another one of those games that was everywhere when I was a kid, and when I played it recently, I found that it holds up surprisingly well.

And of course I'm still hoping you'll re-review Destination Earthstar -- not because it's a great game (it's not, though I like the music), but because your 2001-era review completely overlooks the meat of the whole game, the side-scrolling shmup stages! :)

BTW a few of those games are unplayable without a translation patch, including Final Fantasy II and III (why does 1+2 have its own entry? Isn't it just a compilation cart?). Wagyan Land goes into some sort of Japanese quiz that I couldn't get past when I tried (and, until then, enjoyed) the game back in the early 2000s. You have no reason to review Takeshi no Chousejou, an infamously bad and hostile game, and in any event shouldn't go anywhere near it without a translation patch and walkthrough. And Lei Dian Huang Bi Ka Qiu Chuan Shuo -- why spend time on a bootleg version of Pokemon Yellow?!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 12th, 2017, 2:43 pm

DAVEEEEEEEEEEEE

For a million years now (or at least 5+), I have been yelling at you to play "North and South" for the NES. I rarely make recommendations--and when I do they usually fail miserably (i.e., Tomba, which I thought was a sure thing...)--but I'm still gonna stick by this one. Give it a shot for a few hours, and you definitely have to play it against a friend too. It's a great multiplayer action-strategy game, set during the Civil War, with a good sense of humor. And it's a hidden gem, so there aren't a million other reviews on the internet. Even if you only think it's a C-range game, it's undeniably unique, so I think you'll at least appreciate your time with it for that reason. Plus it's #13 on that list you posted. Check out a Youtube video.

A Boy and His Blob might make for an interesting review too. I don't care for it much, but it had an interesting premise for its time and many gamers have fond memories of it.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 12th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Kirby's Adventure was a late release, and it pushed the NES to it's limits, but you don't like Kriby, and this is the game which set up the franchise's main tropes*. You should review it, for it's historically significant, but I don't know if you'll enjoy it, and, if you gave it a poor grade, you might get some backlash for the game is well-loved.

*Yes, the Game Boy game, Kirby's Dreamland, was released earlier, but Kirby could not absorb his enemy's powers, a key feature in most Kirby games.

(I've not played Kirby's Adventure, nor have I played Kirby's Dreamland, but I want to. I've only played Kirby's Pinball Land, and a Breakout clone where Kirby's the ball, both on the Game Boy. The info I've provided is from other websites, which I read long ago. I cannot remember exactly which sites; Wikipedia and TSR's NES Archive come to mind, as does NES Player & NES World.)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 12th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Retro STrife wrote:play "North and South" for the NES.

Retro STrife wrote:A Boy and His Blob might make for an interesting review too. I don't care for it much, but it had an interesting premise for its time and many gamers have fond memories of it.

I just realized... you actually reviewed the remake of A Boy and His Blob for Wii, so that's another reason to review the NES original. Also the game was designed by David Crane, and it's under $10.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » January 15th, 2017, 12:51 am

I know these 2 aren't on the list, but I'd like to see you review "Pin-Bot" and "High Speed". They're both based on the classic pinball machines of the same names that were popular during the 80's, and they're surprisingly very faithful to the originals (right down to the voice synthesis).

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 8th, 2017, 7:01 pm

I am curious about your opinion of Ironsword. It is an infuriatingly difficult game.

Palamedes is one of my favorite puzzle games on the NES. It's kind of a hybrid puzzle/shooter. You flip the number of your die and shoot it at rows of falling dice to match them. You can clear rows by making Poker style "hands" such as a straight or six of a kind. Or you can go for the 50,000 point perfect bonus by not doing any combos and matching all the dice naturally. You can do single player like Tetris, compete head to head with another player (clearing rows of dice make them appear on your opponent's screen), or compete head to head with computer opponents in a tournament setting. I bought it a few months ago for cheap, but it has since gone up in price... I suspect because it was recently featured on a popular Youtube channel.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 8th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Here's a really, really tough RPG for the RPG crew, (which I would be open to trying out for I suppose, I own a lot of games for various systems that you have yet to review) Ultima, Quest of the Avatar. Off hand I would give it a solid B if I were the one reviewing it, but it's one of the few Ultima titles that I feel is better on the NES than on the original 8-bit CPU release. (Had it on the Apple IIe, and I ALWAYS went for the NES version over it.)

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 8th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Also, late note: I would love to see a review of Power Blade. I played the hell out of that game and for some reason still have the instruction book for it. (No NES for many, many, many years now.) It's a basic megaman style platformer where the hero uses boomerangs. I remember it being really fun, but who knows? I haven't played it since I measured my age in single digits. (Again, a very long time ago, Star Trek, TNG was still new back then.)

mjex

Postby mjex » February 15th, 2017, 6:48 am

Not on the list, but I would love to see a review of Zen: Intergalactic Ninja. It's one of my favourite NES games, wonder how does it hold up today. From the list i would like to see reviews of Darkwing Duck, Lode Runner, Gimmick and Bomberman 1 & 2.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 15th, 2017, 8:44 am

Willow and Battle of Olympus

Return to “Classic Gaming”