Introducing the Nintendo Switch

General and high profile video game topics.
strat

Re: Introducing the Nintendo Switch

Postby strat » January 14th, 2017, 1:12 am

There was a justification to the price. You were getting 4k support, a multi media blu-ray player, a graphical upgrade, etc. The switch is behind in all of those.

This isn't really a direct rebuttal but it got me thinking about why I'm so interested in the Switch.

It's an especially appealing design in how it streamlines the tablet as a gaming device with a sense of playfulness. The "Joycon" design is utter genius (at a glance; I realize we're not all crazy about using the twin Joycons detached from the grip) and a great alternative to slapping a standard dual-grip controller on a tablet like the Nvidia Shield. Plus the way it integrates motion controls appears to be Wii Motion Plus done right. The Switch doesn't invent any one new feature except maybe the Joycon detachability, but it's such a clever combination that it's enough to get me excited before even seeing the games.

We'll have to wait and see on third party support, though it's already obvious that on paper, Switch has tons more support than Wii U did. These devs need to put their heavy-hitters on Switch and not offer up lukewarm substitutes like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GC): The main entries of Resident Evil, MGS, Final Fantasy, etc. Already we're getting new Shin Megami Tensei and Dragon Quest, so that's promising right there (When was the last time a main entry in these series showed up on a Nintendo console, SFC/SNES?). Skyrim reeks a little of the day-old ports that passed for third party support on Wii U (Arkham City and ACIII) but somehow this seems more significant.

On the negative side, having to buy a new Pro Controller instead of using the one you got for Wii U blows, Mario Kart 8 "Deluxe" (seriously?), and I'm also skeptical about the paid online service. I feel it would be insulting to make gamers pay for online play and not give them the option to chat with complete strangers. It was another story when online play was a default feature of the games.

Wii U was a failure in that so few games made the gamepad seem like a necessity, but I frequently play it on just the gamepad anyway, so that makes me happy (And Mario Maker alone justifies it). But I'm not going to cut them any slack with the Switch. Nintendo has to convince us Mario and Zelda need the Switch and that they wouldn't be the exact same experience on just any hardware, like Mario 64 did for N64. As someone getting the Switch on day one, I'll be the first to say Nintendo should go 3rd party if I see its idiosyncratic features going to waste.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 14th, 2017, 5:57 am

I'm still excited since I have faith that they'll provide plenty that pleases me and I loved offscreen play on the Wii U, but their presentation sucked. I have my doubts that this will turn their fortunes around and it's as if they haven't learned from past missteps. Just look at their launch lineup. It's 5 games long and only one of them really matters to most...

-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
-1, 2, Switch
-Just Dance 2017
-Skylanders Imaginators
-Super Bomberman R

They really needed 12-15 games ready for day 1. Zelda and four releases of 1st/3rd party casualware aren't going to be enough. And while not expected with Nintendo's handhelds, where's the bundled in software that we've grown to expect since Wii Sports?

It needs Zelda (Which it is getting), it needs a remastered Nintendo port (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would do nicely at launch, but I believe is slated for later) an original AAA Nintendo release (Super Mario Odyssey would be perfect, but has to wait until Christmas), a good Nintendo developed party game (Even if '1,2, Switch' is it, controller cost and failure to bundle it in cripples this category), and some quality 3rd party AAA ports (Skyrim could be one, but no word on when it will appear), 2017 original releases, and annualized sequels from big 3rd party publishers.

Instead, Nintendo has put all of its eggs in one basket and it isn't even a Switch exclusive. I thought the barebones Wii U/3DS release calendar of the past couple of years and the merging of Nintendo's two lines was supposed to prevent this nonsense with the Switch. But instead of an exciting launch lineup and regular releases of major Nintendo titles in the weeks and months afterwards, it seems clear they're not even remotely ready.

Instead, it looks like 2017 will closely match the Wii U's inaugural first 9 months on the marketplace, minus most of the significant 3rd party support the Wii U actually had on day 1 like Mass Effect 3 before quickly flying the coop. Unless people are incredibly intrigued by the Switch concept and show an unusual level of patience while it grows, I'm afraid the opening months are going to murder the chances this thing had after an intriguing reveal trailer that had everyone anticipating January 12th and getting their hands on one in March.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » January 14th, 2017, 7:29 am

ESauce wrote:
You may recognize this voice chat as being the same voice chat as has been available on every console ever made, because that's just a phone.

Perfect analysis! Voice chat on a phone!? Talking? On a phone?! Will wonders never cease? Thank you Nintendo. Way to make use of Mr. Bell's exciting new technology. I'll be sure to take my horse and buggy down to the general store to buy the Switch when it comes out.

Hey, anyone want to multiplayer some 2600 Ms. Pacman? We'll call each other and report our scores over the exciting medium of telephone. I'll even ring a little bell whenever someone gets an achievement.

Man, Nintendo is really, really, really stupid sometimes.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 14th, 2017, 9:58 am

The Controller looks great. I mean this is what we should be focussing on. What a peripheral! I like the HD rumble pack idea. I will probably end up getting this one as it looks so good. Well that is if they can get some games to use all of the features.

Rev

Postby Rev » January 14th, 2017, 12:54 pm

I've had some time to think about the release and I think I'm a bit more skeptical now than I was before on how well the Switch will do... The line up looked pretty interesting but now I'm concerned that there simply won't be enough solid titles for the switch in the first year... the specs of the console are also quite low and the peripherals cost an arm and a leg... I think this will sell well at first and then could very well pull a Wii U type fiasco... i''m going to have to wait a bit before picking up the Switch... I hope I'm wrong but this could very possibly not be enough...

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 14th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Atarifever wrote:
ESauce wrote:
You may recognize this voice chat as being the same voice chat as has been available on every console ever made, because that's just a phone.

Perfect analysis! Voice chat on a phone!? Talking? On a phone?! Will wonders never cease? Thank you Nintendo. Way to make use of Mr. Bell's exciting new technology. I'll be sure to take my horse and buggy down to the general store to buy the Switch when it comes out.

Hey, anyone want to multiplayer some 2600 Ms. Pacman? We'll call each other and report our scores over the exciting medium of telephone. I'll even ring a little bell whenever someone gets an achievement.

Man, Nintendo is really, really, really stupid sometimes.

Wait, you can do that now? Holy cow! I'm still telegraphing my chess moves to other people. I should buy one of these telephones.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 14th, 2017, 1:27 pm

ESauce wrote:Well Reggie Fils-Aime just confirmed how voice chat will work

"The ability to do matchmaking, voice chat through your phone, it's a hell of a lot more convenient than having a gamer headset stuck into your backpack trying to do that."

You may recognize this voice chat as being the same voice chat as has been available on every console ever made, because that's just a phone. No, Reggie, that is not more convenient. That means me going out and buying a Bluetooth headset for my phone, and not being able to voice chat if my phone is out of batteries.

At first I thought you were trolling, but then I googled it and saw this was true. How is this easier? What if youre like 10, and dont have a phone? And before anyone says anything, I know 10 year olds are on these games chatting because I have been called the N-word more than once by kids who couldnt be much older than that playing CoD.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 14th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Rookie1 wrote:
ESauce wrote:Well Reggie Fils-Aime just confirmed how voice chat will work

"The ability to do matchmaking, voice chat through your phone, it's a hell of a lot more convenient than having a gamer headset stuck into your backpack trying to do that."

You may recognize this voice chat as being the same voice chat as has been available on every console ever made, because that's just a phone. No, Reggie, that is not more convenient. That means me going out and buying a Bluetooth headset for my phone, and not being able to voice chat if my phone is out of batteries.

At first I thought you were trolling, but then I googled it and saw this was true. How is this easier? What if youre like 10, and dont have a phone? And before anyone says anything, I know 10 year olds are on these games chatting because I have been called the N-word more than once by kids who couldnt be much older than that playing CoD.

I'm pretty sure most 10 year olds have smart phones now sadly. But actually what you're saying is a plus to me. Haha.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 14th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Interesting polygon article that the Switch is competing more with tablets than consoles.The Google Play and iStore are a mess. The article says it not unlike the 2600 market that led to the 83 Crash, and Nintendo could really change things. However, the Switch would have to something close to as multifunctioned as a tablet. A tablet may not be the best way to game, but it does so much more. Will the Switch be a focused gaming item, competing with the two true consoles, or a tablet for gamers?

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14268678/nintendo-tablet

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » January 14th, 2017, 9:29 pm

But will the Switch have a voice synthesizer add-on much like the Mattel Intellivoice?

Return to “Video Games General”