A discussion on Microsoft/Nintendo's lack of confidences in the Xbox One/Wii U, and the future of exclusives?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

A discussion on Microsoft/Nintendo's lack of confidences in the Xbox One/Wii U, and the future of exclusives?

Postby Sonicx9 » January 17th, 2017, 7:29 pm

I have been wanting to discuss this for a good while because I have noticed a trend for both Microsoft/Nintendo where they lack confidences in the Xbox One/Wii U systems. Here are examples, Microsoft made games are all getting ported to Windows 10 PC store such as Gears of War 4/Forza Horizon 3/Sea of thieves/Stroneer/Halo Wars 2/Killer Instinct 2013, and the like. And games that where 3rd party games such as Dead Rising 3 and Ryse: Son of Rome where all promised to be Xbox One exclusives, but both got later better PC ports giving a broken promises to the customers.

And Nintendo new that the Wii U flopped hard for them to the point that by 2016, some of there former Wii U exclusive hits such as Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario Maker, and Yoshi's Woolly World all getting later down ports to the 3DS systems, with 2 of the 3 games Hyrule Warriors and Yoshi's Woolly World getting loads of new content not found in the Wii U original releases. And even before 2016, in 2014 most of the NES Remix series was ported to the 3DS under the name Ultimate NES Remix, and the game that could have single handily save the Wii U, Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U being a Multiplatform game from the start giving consumers more reasons not to get a Wii U if they had a 3DS.

But this got me thinking that it gives me the impression that exclusives from not just 3rd party, but even 1st party are almost completely dead compared to the past for gaming in older console generations, and is it sign of the times. I would like to know what are others peoples thoughts about this current trend?

Rookie1

Re: A discussion on Microsoft/Nintendo's lack of confidences in the Xbox One/Wii U, and the future of exclusives?

Postby Rookie1 » January 18th, 2017, 7:13 am

Personally, I think the Playstation will end up being the last free-standing console. I think Nintendo has maybe 5 years left in the market, and Microsoft is going to transition in to a Windows machine that plays games the likes of a STEAM machine. They really dont have any reason to solely invest in just a console when they can merge it with a computer. In fact, I remember reading several articles last year that said that is where Microsoft is heading.

Nintendos casual gamer market was done as soon as every yuppy got a smart phone. Now you have thousands of casual games at your fingertips. Heck, even kids are that way. My son wont touch any of my consoles, but loves his tablet. Same with a lot of the kids I work with. They like CoD but the newest SnapChat post is way more important to them. I see the Switch as another failure in their pattern of failures, and then thats pretty much it.

Playstation I see going strong though as a multi media all-in-one type of thing, and being the last of its kind in the console market. Mainly because there is always going to be that divide between console and PC gamers. It is a 100% different market between the two.

With that, exclusives will probably dry up, as there will really be no beneficial selling point in doing to. Timed exclusives, yes, but 100% exclusives to one device or another will dry up eventually and vanish.

Sonicx9

Re: A discussion on Microsoft/Nintendo's lack of confidences in the Xbox One/Wii U, and the future of exclusives?

Postby Sonicx9 » January 18th, 2017, 11:13 am

Rookie1 wrote:Personally, I think the Playstation will end up being the last free-standing console. I think Nintendo has maybe 5 years left in the market, and Microsoft is going to transition in to a Windows machine that plays games the likes of a STEAM machine. They really dont have any reason to solely invest in just a console when they can merge it with a computer. In fact, I remember reading several articles last year that said that is where Microsoft is heading.

Nintendos casual gamer market was done as soon as every yuppy got a smart phone. Now you have thousands of casual games at your fingertips. Heck, even kids are that way. My son wont touch any of my consoles, but loves his tablet. Same with a lot of the kids I work with. They like CoD but the newest SnapChat post is way more important to them. I see the Switch as another failure in their pattern of failures, and then thats pretty much it.

Playstation I see going strong though as a multi media all-in-one type of thing, and being the last of its kind in the console market. Mainly because there is always going to be that divide between console and PC gamers. It is a 100% different market between the two.

With that, exclusives will probably dry up, as there will really be no beneficial selling point in doing to. Timed exclusives, yes, but 100% exclusives to one device or another will dry up eventually and vanish.

At this rate, that is true!

Steve

Postby Steve » January 18th, 2017, 1:17 pm

I'm torn between opinions on the Xbox One/Windows 10 issue. Personally, I have a Windows 10 laptop and while it has reasonable specs, there is no way it will run any of the modern graphics heavy game such as Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War, and others. I also wouldn't want to play these types of games on a laptop. I'm sure there are many people who have a computer configured to either a large monitor or their TV but are there THAT many where it will have a significant impact on sales? I guess my point is that even if I had a Windows 10 computer that was capable of handling these games, I'd still buy them on Xbox One. It would be interesting to see or know how many sales of a game on PC were from people who don't have an Xbox One and otherwise would have bought one potentially resulting in fewer sales of an Xbox console. Either way, I'm not sure I would agree that Microsoft doesn't have confidence in Xbox One.

However, from a PR perspective, having games on Xbox One and Windows 10 seems like a huge mistake since it has clearly been used against them by the Sony fan base. The argument put forth is simple and easy, "Why do I need an Xbox One?". Even if the argument isn't true for a specific individual (meaning they don't have a PC powerful enough to run the game), the PR damage is done and unfortunately, I think console sales are driven moreso by public opinion on exclusivity than any other factor.

From my perspective, if a game is not available on WiiU or PS4, I would consider it an Xbox exclusive and vice versa.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 18th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Bad news folks, they are making Fire Emblem Warriors for the New Nintendo 3DS family of systems, along with the main Nintendo Switch version. It is bad news as it could not only hold back the main Nintendo Switch version to the New 3DS versions lowest common denominator, but it defeats the purpose of the Nintendo Switch System as a whole! Your guys thoughts?: http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-embl ... o-new-3ds/

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 19th, 2017, 8:35 am

Sonicx9 wrote:Bad news folks, they are making Fire Emblem Warriors for the New Nintendo 3DS family of systems, along with the main Nintendo Switch version. It is bad news as it could not only hold back the main Nintendo Switch version to the New 3DS versions lowest common denominator, but it defeats the purpose of the Nintendo Switch System as a whole! Your guys thoughts?: http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-embl ... o-new-3ds/

The way I see it, Nintendo is making every mistake they can with the Switch. The biggest being releasing Zelda on the WiiU at the same exact time. Why would you buy a Switch when you have a WiiU and can get the only good launch title until Christmas for that? I dont even own a WiiU and I got Zelda for that console as they are selling open auction for $100 on ebay. Why even bother with the Switch for at least another year.

Return to “Modern Gaming”