Paddle controller comeback?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Paddle controller comeback?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 24th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Lately I've noticed that when I pull out a lot of retro systems people are really fascinating by the "dial" controllers like Atari 2600 paddles and my special analog Jaguar controller with the knob. These provide such a precision degree of control that's a lot more satisfying that typical controls.

Then it occurred to me that with its detachable controller parts, the Switch might be able to accommodate something like this. I think its a real possibility and I'd really like to see that. Your thoughts?

Voor

Re: Paddle controller comeback?

Postby Voor » January 25th, 2017, 7:24 am

I wish. I'd take a paddle over anything motion controlled.

There was a YouTube video analyzing the switch' patents and had some mock up drawing of controller possibilities--including on that looked like a half GameCube for Smash Bros enthusiasts.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 25th, 2017, 7:44 am

I was actually thinking about this last night while playing skyrim. While doing the lock picking it would have been so much easier if you could fine tune it like a dial rather than play with the analog sticks. Seems like it would be pretty easy to add a dial type feature to one of the analog sticks.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 25th, 2017, 9:41 am

It would be a neat feature, but I think the games that would actually use it (and use it well) are too few and far between to bother. Unless you wanted every game to force some contrived dial gimmick in the same way the Wii forced waggle controls into its games.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 25th, 2017, 9:45 am

I'd like a controller with a paddle. It would be great for racing games and for quickly cycling through powerups or menus.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 25th, 2017, 5:41 pm

When I was hearing about the early switch prototypes, I actually saw an article suggest a "roller" mechanism.
Keep in mind it wouldn't have to be incorporated into every game. The switch controllers use attachments.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » January 28th, 2017, 9:04 pm

I luv my Atari 2600 paddle controllers. When I repurchased a 2600 off EBay several years ago I spent the extra bucks to make sure I got one with paddles. They are absolutely precise unlike any other game controller. Warlords is amazing with them, but if the kids aren't over the computer AI is pretty dumb. So I intentionally stick in a mediocre game like Super Breakout just to enjoy the controllers. Night Driver is fun for a bit. And yes Kaboom! What other 2600 games are great with paddles?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 29th, 2017, 10:13 am

Warlords of course!

Return to “Video Games General”