Games you didn't think you'd like but did?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Games you didn't think you'd like but did?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 20th, 2017, 9:59 am

Has there ever been a game you were 100% convinced you wouldn't like, but when you tried it out you actually did? I have two.

When Minecraft came out, I saw absolutely nothing in it that I thought I'd like. You run around a crappy looking world and build things? No thanks! But after watching a Minecraft Hardcore show my friend recommended, I figured I'd give it a try-- and guess what? I loved it! Playing it like a survival game, where you have to fend for yourself, hunt your own food, build your own shelter, etc, is a heck of a lot more entertaining than "Virtual Legos". True, doing the exact same thing over and over again *does* get boring if you play for too long, but playing it for short bursts is extremely fun.

The other one is Terraria. Even after finding out how fun Minecraft could be, I had absolutely no interest in what I saw as "2D Minecraft". When I finally caved in and tried it, I found out it was still fun but for different reasons. It has better combat, more enemies, catchier music, and more random events to keep you on your toes. Plus, it feels good to actually be given a quest with real objectives rather than "build, dig, craft, repeat." It lacks the feeling of discovery that Minecraft gives you, but I still enjoyed it anyway.

rahimtx

Re: Games you didn't think you'd like but did?

Postby rahimtx » January 20th, 2017, 3:06 pm

I was over at my friends house I want to say in 1997. I noticed he was playing Resident Evil. I briefly looked at it, and I didn't see too much to it. I finally ended up playing a Resident Evil game I believe around 2004. It was Resident Evil 2 on the Nintendo 64. I instantly fell in love with the series. After I beat it I went out and bought a PS1 so I could play all the past Resident Evil games. If I would have known Capcom was releasing all of them on the Game Cube, I would have gotten them on it instead.

I eventually caught up with the series. I still haven't played Resident Evil Revelations 2. I will one day, and I'm pretty psyched about playing Resident Evil 7 in VR.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 20th, 2017, 11:00 pm

I remember in the early 90's my friends and I were reading the previews of NBA Jam in EGM magazine and mocking the screenshots showing players soaring high above the rim. We thought it was so ridiculous.

After the glowing reviews came out I decided to give it a shot. I had my friends Eric and Tuan over the day I got it, and we played this game for SIX HOURS STRAIGHT. The rest is history.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » January 24th, 2017, 3:38 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I remember in the early 90's my friends and I were reading the previews of NBA Jam in EGM magazine and mocking the screenshots showing players soaring high above the rim. We thought it was so ridiculous.

After the glowing reviews came out I decided to give it a shot. I had my friends Eric and Tuan over the day I got it, and we played this game for SIX HOURS STRAIGHT. The rest is history.

Did you never go to an arcade? Surely your first exposure to NBA Jam wasn't a console preview in EGM.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 25th, 2017, 10:48 am

2 recent games I didnt like when they came out but I love now are Arkham Asylum and Skyrim. I just wasnt ready for Arkham when it came out. I was on a CoD and GTA kick, and just wanted a quick run and gun. When I played AA I couldnt just smash people and progress. I had to be slow and methodical, and it didnt do anything for me. Years later it is one of my favorite games of all time. Skyrim I just couldnt get in to because I had never played a game quite like that before. Having to do all this stuff to level up and craft weapons and spells and enchantments was just too much. I just wanted to stab people and move on. I recently picked it up on ebay for $5, and spend a good 4.5 hours last night playing it. I actually really enjoy it now, and look forward to the next time I have more than 5 seconds to myself so I can play it again.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 25th, 2017, 11:12 am

Rookie1, I was actually more surprised that I *DIDN'T* like Skryim. I mean, I can't deny that's it's an amazing game, but I'm the kind of gamer who can appreciate limited freedom but a compelling story more than a gigantic open world and "Hey, go make your own story!"

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 25th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Overwatch. I saw it get a 10 in Game Informer and thought to myself, "huh, an online only team based shooter getting a 10 in Game Informer. Uh oh, am I too old for modern gaming?"

Well, I decided to rent it to try it out and instantly became addicted and bought it. It can still be frustrating to get a bad match, but overall I enjoy it more than other online shooters. With the character variety and over-the-top special moves, it is to shooting games what power stone is to fighting games.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 25th, 2017, 12:39 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Rookie1, I was actually more surprised that I *DIDN'T* like Skryim. I mean, I can't deny that's it's an amazing game, but I'm the kind of gamer who can appreciate limited freedom but a compelling story more than a gigantic open world and "Hey, go make your own story!"

See, thats what I like about it. I can kind of just veg-out and explore, and do whatever I want. Its a bit refreshing considering everything elese I play is pretty much on rails. I sat down at 730 last night, and before I knew it, it was midnight. I got lost in the game, and never once felt bored.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » January 26th, 2017, 11:53 am

I discovered I actually enjoy Hidden Object games with the very addictive Gardenscapes for the Nintendo 3DS and the decent Mystery Case Files: Malgrave for the Wii!

scotland

Postby scotland » January 26th, 2017, 1:04 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:I discovered I actually enjoy Hidden Object games with the very addictive Gardenscapes for the Nintendo 3DS and the decent Mystery Case Files: Malgrave for the Wii!

Thanks for the tip!

Return to “Video Games General”