Worst Movies of 2016!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Sonicx9
Posts: 400
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby Sonicx9 » January 22nd, 2017, 3:21 am

What are your guys worst movies of 2016?

I have two that I HATE with all my might, and they are the infamous Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice aka Batman v Stupidman and the infamous Ghostbusters 2016 movie reboot aka an SJW fan fiction gone wrong with the Ghostbusters name!

Both movies where bad ideas from day one, where Batman v Superman is a nonsensical mess that would fit right home with the infamous Anime series Sword Art Online because both Batman v Superman and Sword Art Online have the same problems. And the movies acting is dreadful such as Lex Luthor in the film. The dream sequences make no sense and some look like they come from the new Mad Max movie, not Batman v Superman. The movie is cheesy during the Batman V Superman fight scenes, and if it was the mid 90s during the SNES/Sega Genesis days, it would make a perfect Acclaim Entreatment movie tie in game that would be a sequel to the infamous Batman Forever game. I can go on and on on how terrible this movie is, but it would be over 9000 sentences long and many know this movie is a pile of garbage.

And Ghostbusters 2016 needs no introduction as this movie is so infamous words can not describe this movie because if I write a detail review it would be over 9000 sentences long on this infamous train wreck of a film!

Can you guys give your two cents on the worst movies of 2016?

User avatar
velcrozombie
Posts: 268
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Re: Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby velcrozombie » January 27th, 2017, 1:57 am

I didn't see many new films last year (I didn't even bother with Batman v. Superman, although I'm sure I'll make myself watch it eventually), but Suicide Squad was the worst of them. The shame of it was that it had potential: the idea of team of super-villains being forced to work against their will for perks and a chance at freedom is both refreshing and stands out well enough against what Marvel has been doing, the acting is solid (excepting Jared Leto, who was borderline unbearable as the Joker) and the Enchantress has a wonderfully creepy design (before they destroy it with added CGI later on). The film has a LOT of issues, however - choppy editing and obvious reshoots (the film went through a month of reshoots and three edits before one was settled on by the studio and it shows), whiplash changes in tone that never allow the material to maintain a coherent identity, lots of boring action scenes versus faceless Golem-like enemies, forced attempts at humor (cribbing from both Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy), etc. During the few times that the film slows down and the characters are given time to themselves to talk and interact (such as a scene in an abandoned bar late in the movie) you can see glimpses of what the movie could have been, but most of the rest of it will just give you a headache.

Ozzybear
Posts: 101
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Re: Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby Ozzybear » January 27th, 2017, 8:24 am

I had really high hopes for Batman vs super man , but they turned it into a clusterf**k.

User avatar
scotland
Posts: 1864
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Re: Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby scotland » January 27th, 2017, 10:45 am

velcrozombie wrote: Suicide Squad was the worst of them. The shame of it was that it had potential: the idea of team of super-villains being forced to work against their will for perks and a chance at freedom is both refreshing and stands out well enough against what Marvel has been doing...


The idea is older than it appears. Its basically The Dirty Dozen idea. Comics have a long history not just with superheroes but war and combat comics. Nick Fury used to be as associated with WWII commandos as much as SHIELD and superheroes. Comic series like Doom Patrol had misfits joining together (and famously dying) in the 1960s. The Suicide Squad also goes back to 1960s, but became popular in the 1980s.

For alternatives, check out the animated movies DC makes. Many are on Netflix.

User avatar
velcrozombie
Posts: 268
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Re: Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby velcrozombie » January 27th, 2017, 11:00 am

scotland wrote:
velcrozombie wrote: Suicide Squad was the worst of them. The shame of it was that it had potential: the idea of team of super-villains being forced to work against their will for perks and a chance at freedom is both refreshing and stands out well enough against what Marvel has been doing...


The idea is older than it appears. Its basically The Dirty Dozen idea. Comics have a long history not just with superheroes but war and combat comics. Nick Fury used to be as associated with WWII commandos as much as SHIELD and superheroes. Comic series like Doom Patrol had misfits joining together (and famously dying) in the 1960s. The Suicide Squad also goes back to 1960s, but became popular in the 1980s.

For alternatives, check out the animated movies DC makes. Many are on Netflix.


I'm aware of The Dirty Dozen and the history of the Suicide Squad - I didn't say it was a NEW idea. All I meant was that, within the current landscape of the superhero film, it had the potential to carve out its own recognizable space - something that DC desperately needs. I guess you could argue that the Guardians movies have the "band of misfits/criminals" trope already, but the tone and setting are different enough (or at least they should have been - as I said, the film didn't seem to know what it wanted to be). I do need to watch the DC animated movies - I loved Batman: The Animated Series as a kid.

Alucard1191
Posts: 94
Joined: November 16th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Re: Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby Alucard1191 » January 27th, 2017, 12:50 pm

My oh my... yes, I'll nominate Batman vs. Superman as well... that was genuinely awful. Probably the worse film I've seen in a long, long time. I'm glad the critic thought Lex Luthor was awful, I agree whole heartedly. It was from the same guy that did Watchmen, and he f***** that movie up really really bad as well.

I want to go SLIGHTLY different with it and say 'most disappointing' and say Hateful Eight. I absolutely LOVE Quentin Tarantino, and that film just let me down... purely because of its length and certain excesses it takes. The movie has so much that should have been cut, it was 3 and a half hours... That's Lord of the Rings territory, and there is a reason I only watch those once a year. Sure, it has some great dialogue and cool scenes... but the premise was honestly rather weak considering his past work. I put it just above Deathproof (which is his worse in my opinion) in the "Tarantino pantheon." I watched Django Unchained for the millionth time a few nights ago, and it was fantastic. I can't even bring myself to attempt a 2nd watching of Hateful Eight.

ESauce
Posts: 266
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Re: Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby ESauce » January 27th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:My oh my... yes, I'll nominate Batman vs. Superman as well... that was genuinely awful. Probably the worse film I've seen in a long, long time. I'm glad the critic thought Lex Luthor was awful, I agree whole heartedly. It was from the same guy that did Watchmen, and he f***** that movie up really really bad as well.

I want to go SLIGHTLY different with it and say 'most disappointing' and say Hateful Eight. I absolutely LOVE Quentin Tarantino, and that film just let me down... purely because of its length and certain excesses it takes. The movie has so much that should have been cut, it was 3 and a half hours... That's Lord of the Rings territory, and there is a reason I only watch those once a year. Sure, it has some great dialogue and cool scenes... but the premise was honestly rather weak considering his past work. I put it just above Deathproof (which is his worse in my opinion) in the "Tarantino pantheon." I watched Django Unchained for the millionth time a few nights ago, and it was fantastic. I can't even bring myself to attempt a 2nd watching of Hateful Eight.


I personally loved Hateful Eight, and also should mention that it was released in 2015.

I tried watching Batman v Superman on HBO. Twice. I could not get through it. It's not just the worst movie of the year, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It makes Batman and Robin look like Citizen Kane.

I doubt a lot of people here have seen this but another bad one is Secret Life of Pets. My wife wanted to see it because it looked like it would have cute pet scenes, and it had a voice cast that was appealing to me (Louis CK, Jenny Slate, Albert Brooks, Hannibal Buress).
Well, we were both disappointed. It hardly even had any cute animals being animals scenes that my wife wanted (okay, I would have enjoyed them too), and the voice cast was irrelevant because there was no decent dialogue. They didn't even write any jokes for their lineup of comedians to deliver! Honestly it was the worst animated movie I've seen in years. The script seemed to have been written by a child.

Sonicx9
Posts: 400
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby Sonicx9 » February 27th, 2017, 1:44 am

Ozzybear wrote:I had really high hopes for Batman vs super man , but they turned it into a clusterf**k.


I agree 100% with what you just said, and mind you, in the next several years when people look back at this infamous clusterf**k of a movie. They are going to pull an Angry Video Game Nerd saying "Batman v Superman, it sucked back then, and it sucks forever!"

It is based on how terrible Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice the movie was as a whole! And mind you this movie reminds me of a mid 90's Acclaim Entreatment movie tie in game that would be a sequel to the infamous Batman Forever game! Right down with it cheesy nature of an Acclaim Entreatment movie tie in game!

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 364
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby Stalvern » February 27th, 2017, 6:18 am

Why are you so angry about these movies, Sonicx9? Why are you still angry about them in 2017? Batman v. Superman is awful (as far as I know), but you don't have to care. I love Zoolander, but when I heard that the sequel was bad, I didn't buy a ticket and didn't give a crap. The mere existence of a bad movie isn't going to change the movies that I enjoy; my life is exactly the same after Zoolander 2's release as it was before: I still haven't seen it, and I can still watch the original whenever I want. And there are thousands and thousands of great movies out there to discover and love - why hang your happiness on two franchise-based cash cows that would never have been great even if everything had gone right?
Last edited by Stalvern on February 27th, 2017, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainCruch
Posts: 171
Joined: July 17th, 2015, 11:26 am

Re: Worst Movies of 2016!

Postby CaptainCruch » February 27th, 2017, 6:26 am

Mother's Day
WarCraft
Independence Day: Resurgence
Inferno


Return to “Other Media”