New Construction Icon

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Construction Icon

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 26th, 2017, 10:57 pm

I want to my thank Mark Jewell for creating another nifty little icon for me: "contains construction elements"
I thought this might be a good way to identify the new breed of "builder" games like Minecraft and Mario Maker.

You can see the games I've applied it to so far:
http://videogamecritic.com/icon/icon_Construction.htm

I'm not going to go overboard with this. I've decided not to apply it to games that let you customize your character for example. However, I'm sure there are a few games that qualify that I missed, so please let me know!

Thanks
VGC

ESauce

Re: New Construction Icon

Postby ESauce » January 27th, 2017, 12:13 am

If just having a level builder qualifies then off the top of my head: Excitebike, Mach Rider, Tony Hawks Pro Skater.

And Little Big Planet and Mod Nation Racers are very focused on creation.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 27th, 2017, 8:15 am

Good idea. Doesn't Megaman Powered Up on PSP have a level editor?

scotland

Postby scotland » January 27th, 2017, 9:33 am

The icon may apply to older games too. Games like 1985's Racing Destruction Set by EA for 8 bit computers were popular. The game was remade for the SNES in 1991 as RPM Racing with the track editor still there.

There are also games where modding is encouraged by users. I think Doom is one, where many users made 'wad' files with wad editors.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 27th, 2017, 11:36 am

Little Big Planet is a good catch by esauce. The first one that popped in my head was the Tony Hawk games, since that's the only level editor I've spent a lot of time with. Several of the THPS games have a level editor, although I don't recall which game it started with (I think it was THPS2).

One thing this icon highlights that surprised me is that you've never reviewed a SimCity game. Might be worth picking one up, like SimCity 2000 for the PS1, just to knock that off the list.

Just out of curiosity, what do games like NCAA Football and Sega GT have that are related to construction? I ask genuinely, because I've never played them. If it's like a stadium-creator or track editor, that makes sense, but if it's the Dynasty mode, My Player mode, Build a Car mode, etc., then I think that is very similar to create-a-player options. (And I agree with you about not using it for things like that, because that would apply to hundreds or thousands of games.. it makes more sense if the construction element is integral to the game or, at least, a significant side feature.)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 27th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Great feedback guys! I've added (and removed) some of these icons per your suggestions. Keep them coming.

zetax

Postby zetax » January 27th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Rally Cross 2 for PS1. Coaster Works (DC) and Screamride (XB1). Probably any of those Sim-fill in the blank games.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » January 28th, 2017, 9:21 am

I just had a recommendation for a good construction game that would also be a great summer game. Thrillville: Off the Rails isn't overly complicated, but is still really lots of fun. Plus you get to design the parks and some of the individual rides yourself which is kind of cool. Riding one of the insane coastets after you've built one can be a blast too. The parks have some fun mini-games as well that recreate the fun of old arcade games. Now that I think about it, one of the parks is even holiday themed and covers both Halloween and Christmas.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 28th, 2017, 11:34 am

Thanks for the Thrillville recommendation. Looks like something I can get used for a low price.
I'll try to review it by summer!

Return to “Video Games General”