10/28/2006: Xbox 360: Condemned, Dead Rising, X-Arcade Unplugged Volume 1

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 28th, 2006, 11:39 am

Of all the reviews I've written, I think these rank up with the best.  Condemned is genuinely scary, Dead Rising is cool but flawed, and the X-Arcade is really just a Microsoft gimmick.  Let's hear what you have to say.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » October 28th, 2006, 12:37 pm

Very good reviews.  Two things I want to mention, though:

1. Did you have problems with your system freezing or anything like that with Dead Rising (I heard people had a lot of problems with that game in particular)?

2. In the X-Arcade review, you mentioned Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, which was actualy released in 1997, not 1996 as you stated.   

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 28th, 2006, 2:23 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D]

Very good reviews.  Two things I want to mention, though:

1. Did you have problems with your system freezing or anything like that with Dead Rising (I heard people had a lot of problems with that game in particular)?

2. In the X-Arcade review, you mentioned Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, which was actualy released in 1997, not 1996 as you stated.   

[/QUOTE]

1. No, I don't seem to recall running into that.
2. Thanks for the correction.

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » October 28th, 2006, 2:41 pm

The only thing I have to say is that I'm glad the Video Game Critic liked Geometry Wars so much. My little experience with it is playing the two minute demo over and over again at my cousin's house, but even at that it was an absolute blast.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » October 28th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Bang on with Condemned.  One of the best games ever in my opinion.  If you like Geometry Wars if you get a chance try Mutant Storm Reloaded.  It's more like Robotron with levels rather than a continuous playing field and is utterly amazing.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » October 28th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Dead-on rating for 'Condemned' (no pun intended), and it scared the crap out of me even on my tiny 27" regular TV set.  As soon as I get me a big-screen HDTV this game will get replayed immediately so I can be fully surrounded into a high-def world of s*** (most of it coming from me as I delve further into the dark hallways).

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 28th, 2006, 6:20 pm

I agree with Condemned.  It's one of the scariest games I've played in this generation.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » October 28th, 2006, 11:53 pm

Wow, this is a first.   This is the first time I have actually played all the games the critic reviewed on a given day, so I actually get to voice my opinion.   Ok not really, I only played the one game on Unplugged that matters, but I'm sure you know which one I'm referring to.

Dead Rising -   I consider this to be one of the greatest games ever made.   Even though it has the horrible save system, not even that can ruin this brilliant game.   The ability to go anywhere and do anything is amazing, and this game plays like nothing else.    I would probably give it an A-.   If the save system were not broken, I would give it an A.

Condemned -   I knew the critic would like it.   Some critics bashed this because it's only about 7 hours long.   But if they added another 10 hours of filler to this game, it would ruin it.   This game has an atmosphere that only System Shock 2 can beat.   The melee combat is a lot of fun, and the guns pack a lot of power when you get them.   Probably one of the best games of its kind.  My review B+.

Unplugged Vol 1 -  This collection is complete crap.   Forcing offline gamers who want to play Geometry Wars to pay 40 bucks for a bunch of card  and puzzle games is just pure greed.  Hey Critic, If Microsoft released Geometry Wars for 5-10 bucks at the stores like they do on Xbox Live, what grade would you give it?    I would give it an A.   Geometry wars is an awesome Robotron Clone which far surpasses it.  It would be A+ material if it's gamerscore points where more creative.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » October 29th, 2006, 1:16 am

Yeah, Geometry Wars proves that simple gameplay, when given some clever twists, can be totally sweet. There is no better game for just killing time. The game also has awesome pacing, it just keeps getting more and more frantic. Yet, at the same time, most players I know have certain stratagies that seem to work for them. I like to manipulate the black holes if I can, for both scoring purposes and for keeping the board a bit more clear of shapes (especially useful when a ton of them materialize at once, if you have a blackhole already going, which should divert some of them making an escape easier).

-Rob

www.therobzone.com

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 30th, 2006, 9:26 am

I would have to agree with you critic, these are some of the best reviews you have put out. Condemned is one of the best games on the 360 and is one of the scariest of all times. Excellent game! I personally think Geometry Wars is highly overrated. Personally I liked the game but maybe I am just getting old as the frenetic pace tends to kill me off rather early. I just didn't think there was that much variety in the game. You obviously have a pension for arcade games and must have thought very highly of it b/c the other games on the collection are pretty awful to say the least. Lastly, any game or set of games that registers a high score should allow you to save them and it is a shame that Microsoft allowed this ommission. I am staying away from Dead Rising b/c of the save system. I don't have the time or energy to constantly back track in order to play this game. It's a shame b/c I loved the demo.

Any other 360 reviews in the pipeline?

Return to “Review Feedback”