Which Games Was the VGC Unfair Towards?

General and high profile video game topics.
Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » January 21st, 2010, 9:32 am

This is true take a look at a game like Shadowgate or the game Dick Tracy it's close but still off.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » January 21st, 2010, 10:57 am

I just finished playing Rescue Rangers (NES) and like this game the more I play it. It has to be an A-/B+ game for sure yet the Critic still has a 'D'. He complains about the two player mode being frustrating, but I think the fact you can stun your friend makes up for the decrease in difficulty. Far too many NES games become way too easy with two players and this feature requires you to keep alert at all times. It's also got a catchy musical score that fits in with the Disney theme.

Of course, my two players games usually lead me to intentionally attack the other Rescue Ranger because I'm so frustrated by their carelessness!

Luigi & Peach

Re: Which Games Was the VGC Unfair Towards?

Postby Luigi & Peach » January 30th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Adamant1 wrote:He reviewed some of the NES ports - Dizzy the Adventurer and Quattro Adventure, a multicart including Treasure Island Dizzy and 3 unrelated games.

I know this is an old post, but this game truly deserved a bad rating. My buddy had it and the controls were insufferable on just about every one of theses games. Fortunately I don't think many people had the misfortune to ever play this cartridge.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 31st, 2017, 1:46 am

I've mentioned this before, but when one realizes that Ridge Racer DS is a 1:1 port of the NST developed Ridge Racer 64 from the N64, these two reviews don't really align.

http://videogamecritic.com/dsmr.htm?e=76124#rev2084

http://videogamecritic.com/n64mr.htm?e=76124#rev2009

He loved it once, but hated it the second time except for complimenting the controls (Which ironically was the one area that compromises had to be made when porting it to Nintendo's portable hardware).

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 31st, 2017, 9:18 am

I always wondered if there was a thread like this.

For me, the biggest instance where the critic gave a review that I though (very) differently about was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. To each is own, and I don't mind that he didn't give it a good review.

This game is my favorite in the series and probably my favorite game of all time. I don't think this is a big deal, but he is right about there being no tutorial. You don't "officially" learn the revert until Alcatraz, the third stage, when Afro Pick Jefferson teaches you. This game also introduced the crazy tricks you can do within a manual, such as pogo and truckstand, and you don't learn those until London, which is late in the game, so he makes a good point.

To those talking about Sonic CD, I think the critic is right. It is a mediocre sonic game with poor level design, and what I think is a dumb time travel gimmick. Even the end screen when you beat a level sounds dumb. "Sonic made a good future in zone 1?" what?

One user made an excellent, excellent point about the game basically being in high regard, as not a lot of people had it. In reality, this game is no better than any of the genesis games.

Also, Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monk is one of my favorites, but his review was fine, especially about the annoying, repetitive enemies.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » January 31st, 2017, 10:58 am

CharlieR wrote:I always wondered if there was a thread like this.
To those talking about Sonic CD, I think the critic is right. It is a mediocre sonic game with poor level design, and what I think is a dumb time travel gimmick. Even the end screen when you beat a level sounds dumb. "Sonic made a good future in zone 1?" what?

One user made an excellent, excellent point about the game basically being in high regard, as not a lot of people had it. In reality, this game is no better than any of the genesis games.

I agree! :) (And I'm one of the biggest Sonic games you can find).
However I think the question 'Which Games Was the VGC Unfair Towards' is a little strange. I don't think he's 'unfair' at all, but sometimes I just feel different about games. I mean, I really liked The Orange Box (C+), Rage (D), Rocket Knight Adventures (C), NES Remix Pack (D-), Mad Dog Mcree Gunslinger Pack (F) and the Master System-games Ghostbusters (D+) and Alex Kidd in Miracle World (D+). (But those last three probably most out of nostalgia, I admit). But I guess that's the fun of game reviews - we can't all agree!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 31st, 2017, 11:20 am

I've certainly disagreed with the Critic on quite a few reviews but the only game I felt the review was unfair is Animal Crossing. It is a great game at what it does but it seemed like the critic was very negative about it due to it not being more action-packed.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » January 31st, 2017, 12:26 pm

No one has mentioned Guardian Heroes on the Saturn?

Sure, the game isn't an A but it's absolutely better than he gives it. I love the branching paths, unlock-able characters, etc. That game really deserves a B/B- in my mind.

Oh, and I 2nd cyborg justice, that game deserves a C in my mind. C+ if you have the instruction manual, which actually had mose of the moves in it.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 31st, 2017, 12:57 pm

Super Mario Maker, or any other modern game w/a level creator. I've always wanted to make levels for my favorite games, the few games that let me do so, like Daisy's Garden, were always winners in my book. The developers aren't taking a short cut; they aren't neglecting level design to give players the ability to create. Developing an user-friendly editing system w/the power to create satisfying levels takes work. The developers are trying to appeal to a different part of the market, the folks who might turn to modding software if there wasn't an official level editor.

For some reason older games w/ level editors, like Excitebike, aren't reviewed as harshly. I don't know if the Critic rates the newer games lower for poorly-designed user-created levels, or if he just hates the ability to share levels over the internet.

Dave, would you prefer a sneakernet solution? I can mail you a flash card if you want...

(Hope this isn't too harsh; I like this site, & I respect the Critic's opinions, but I don't always understand the grades these games get.)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2017, 6:54 pm

Maybe it's because I'm a software developer by trade, but I don't like games where I make my own content.
In games like Excitebike it's just an extraneous mode. I hardly bother with it and it really doesn't impact the grade.
I also don't care for Minecraft. Clearly there is a huge audience for this kind of stuff but I can only express my own personal thoughts and feelings on the game.

Return to “Video Games General”