Rocket League (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Rocket League (PS4)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2017, 6:48 pm

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Old-school arcade action and four-player split-screen!

My friend Scott gave me this game and it's a winner.
You have vehicles knocking around soccer balls and hockey pucks in huge arenas, kind of like a smash-up derby sports game.

There's a lot of replay value but Rocket League is also good for a quick play.
Full review coming soon. Also available for XboxOne.

MrLuck87

Re: Rocket League (PS4)

Postby MrLuck87 » February 1st, 2017, 1:14 am

The funny thing is that it's predecessor, Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle-Cars, has actually been a PS3 exclusive since 2008! I'd tell people to check out the game when talking about PS3 exclusives but no one listened. Instead I'd keep hearing the stupid, "PS3 has no gamez lol" meme. It's still weird how big the game got nearly a decade later. It's still available on the PS Store for $3.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » February 1st, 2017, 5:28 am

A YouTube channel called "Noclip" has a GREAT documentary feature thing on the making of this and Supersonic etc. Cars, and it is well worth a watch by anyone who likes games. They have an equally great documentary about the making of the latest "Doom" that really shows how much thought went into bringing that franchise back to form. Noclip has quickly become my favourite youtube channel, and I can't recommend this documentary enough.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 5th, 2017, 4:24 pm

I just discovered my X-Arcade PS4 adapter allows me to connect any PS2 controller to my PS4! So now I have a third controller for Rocket League!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 12th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Finishing this review and it's becoming clear this is one of the best games of this generation.

I just have one complaint which the C64 Critic does not share. Why is there no music during the matches? The menu music has a nice vibe, mixing vocals with electronic beats. The matches however are relatively quiet.

The C64 Critic doesn't see an issue, since most modern sports games don't have music during the game. Yeah, but games like Madden and The Show have commentary. This game does not and the sound effects are even integral to the action.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 11th, 2017, 10:05 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Old-school arcade action and four-player split-screen!

My friend Scott gave me this game and it's a winner.
You have vehicles knocking around soccer balls and hockey pucks in huge arenas, kind of like a smash-up derby sports game.

There's a lot of replay value but Rocket League is also good for a quick play.
Full review coming soon. Also available for XboxOne.

Thanks Dave for bringing this one to my attention - would have never discovered it otherwise. The game is getting harder and harder to find on physical disc (without overpaying), but I bought it recently and just started playing it this weekend. It is infinitely fun and addictive. I think that's in large part thanks to the short matches, which take 5-10 minutes each. It allows the game to have a "just one more" quality to it, and the "just one more" often turns into 5 more. The short matches also makes it easy to squeeze in a game or two anytime..For example, I was waiting to watch a movie on the PS4 with my wife, so I played a quick game of Rocket League while waiting for her.

Now today, while away from my PS4, I have Rocket League playing in my head, and can't get it out. I haven't had that happen since the early 2000s, when Virtua Tennis had this same addictive effect on me and I would have endless Pong-esque tennis volleys playing in my head during English class...

While Rocket League sounds simple, the learning curve is deceptively steep. I learned that the hard way while playing 3 vs 3 matches online. I sucked and was a completely useless teammate. I still have a lot to learn. It takes awhile just to get good at judging the ball and lining up shots, let alone the great aerial plays that I see everyone doing online.

As for the music during matches, I agree with Scott. I think, given the option, I would prefer it without music. I want to hear everything going on, including the cars, the hits on the ball, the cheers of the crowd, etc., and it feels more immersive without music (imagine a Madden game with music during it). That said, I wouldn't have been against at least having the option to turn music on.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 11th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Had a marathon session of Rocket League tonight with my friends Brent and Kevin tonight. This game is so addictive! Love how you can play 3-on-3 versus the CPU! Naturally we played "snow day" mode (hockey), and there's an arena that's even decked out with Christmas lights. Beautiful.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 12th, 2017, 9:57 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Had a marathon session of Rocket League tonight with my friends Brent and Kevin tonight. This game is so addictive! Love how you can play 3-on-3 versus the CPU! Naturally we played "snow day" mode (hockey), and there's an arena that's even decked out with Christmas lights. Beautiful.

Yeah, while there's a lot of decent multiplayer games for 2 or 4 people, it's tough to find one that works well for 3 people. This one definitely fits the bill, since I feel like 3 v 3 is the ideal match size for this game.. I'm looking forward to trying it out the next time I have friends over.

And snow day mode is great. I was playing it online yesterday. I like the puck, because it bounces less, so aerial moves are less of a factor. I've improved at the game a bit over the past few days, but I feel like I'll always suck at the aerial stuff. I see people online pulling off huge aerial boosts and knocking the ball right in the net, but I'm nowhere near there yet.

Probably my only notable issue is the depth. While I love the gameplay, I don't know that I can play it long term. I already completed a 27-game season, and have no desire to do another season, since it's so basic. So at this point, online matches and local multiplayer are probably the only two things that will keep me playing it here and there. But then again, that's part of why it's a budget title.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 16th, 2020, 8:55 am

Just an FUI out there that rocket league is now “free to play”. So between that, and the cross platform online action, this game is a winner!!

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 16th, 2020, 9:25 am

My 12 year old son has a 5th degree black-belt in Rocket League. But as a responsible and caring parent, I limit my kids gaming to 22 hours a day, NO exceptions. “Dad, can I play 23 hours a day?” “Absolutely not! Maybe starting next week.”

I run a tight ship.

Return to “Now Playing”