Bonjour

General and high profile video game topics.
Roperious1

Bonjour

Postby Roperious1 » October 7th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Yes, it is a north american version. Gold stripe and all

Roperious

Re: Bonjour

Postby Roperious » January 30th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Roperious1 wrote:Hello

I've been comming to this site for about a year now, checking reviews and slowly building my collection of sega related material up. I really like the atmosphere on the site in particular on the fourms.

Anyhow, i'm a devoted sega fan and I finally purchased a saturn;

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... IBSA:CA:11

I hope this is a good starter set??

I am also having some problems with my 32x, anyone able to help out with this?

Wow. Where has the time gone? :shock:

My collection has grown so much over the past ten years. I'm especially proud of my Saturn collection, which now includes over 150 of the North American releases! I have noticed, however, since about February 2016, that the prices for Saturn games has gone through the roof! Especially for Canadian collectors.

I'd like to thank the VGC for all the work that he puts into this site. It really is something special. Hopefully I can participate more on the boards in the future!

-R

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » January 31st, 2017, 5:34 am

Roperious wrote:
My collection has grown so much over the past ten years. I'm especially proud of my Saturn collection, which now includes over 150 of the North American releases! I have noticed, however, since about February 2016, that the prices for Saturn games has gone through the roof! Especially for Canadian collectors.

-R

One of only 2 systems I regret selling (the Jag is the other). Part of the reason I won't sell my Wii U is how sure I am it will be the next Saturn (expensive to collect, with an interesting and unique library).

Time does tend to fly doesn't it. You still in PEI? We took the kids there this summer. They thought Sandspit and Shining Waters were essentially Disneyland. :)

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 31st, 2017, 8:23 am

Not really surprised about Saturn or Sega CD being expensive. Maybe it is because they weren't as popular when they came out? I'm not sure if they were or not, I'm just speculating.

I do believe the Wii U could be desirable down the line and expensive, simply because it was largely overlooked when it came out. I think people might also look at the gamepad as a nice innovation, even if it never lived up to the expectation, Also, it's Nintendo, so that will be a factor.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 31st, 2017, 8:42 am

CharlieR wrote:Not really surprised about Saturn or Sega CD being expensive. Maybe it is because they weren't as popular when they came out? I'm not sure if they were or not, I'm just speculating. I do believe the Wii U could be desirable down the line and expensive, simply because it was largely overlooked when it came out. I think people might also look at the gamepad as a nice innovation, even if it never lived up to the expectation, Also, it's Nintendo, so that will be a factor.

The Saturn, for a long time, was hard to emulate due to its architecture. Apparently someone did create a good emulator for it a few years ago. I think the Sega CD has emulators for it too. Maybe in the short term emulation really does increase people wanting to collect original hardware, but it seems logical to think that the old hardware itself will become less desirable as tv technology continues to evolve, and emulation take their place.

I really don't know about the WiiU. The "Its Nintendo" is actually a good argument for why it will hold collectible value. How collectible are the N64 and Gamecubes? What are the real selling points of the WiiU after four years, especially as it won't have a Zelda exclusive? I don't know. If I had one, I would hang on to it. Not having one, I'm satisfied that the decision to not invest was correct for me at that time. I'm looking ahead to the Switch now, but that price tag is like a Polar Bear plunge to my enthusiasm.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » February 1st, 2017, 5:43 am

scotland wrote: If I had one, I would hang on to it. Not having one, I'm satisfied that the decision to not invest was correct for me at that time. I'm looking ahead to the Switch now, but that price tag is like a Polar Bear plunge to my enthusiasm.

Buying one now would be a poor use of your money. The lowest price that one is likely to hit will actually be for the few years after the Switch comes out. First Gamestop etc. will pay okay money to get them from people trading in on the Switch. Then they will be available a little more easily used. A little after that it will be apparent still nobody wants to buy one, and even the used price will be slashed, then deeply slashed again. I'd think you'll see the real cheap prices in the next few years before any possible collectors market starts for the thing.

I think if you're buying one though, the next few years will be your last chance at a really cheap one. Whatever happens though, $299 is probably the highest the price will ever be, so you saved yourself that regardless.

I still think emulation will be the real big scene on the Wii U for future collectors. The tablet and power combined will allow for incredible handheld system emulation and console emulation, on the same system. GBA, GB, Lynx, etc. games will look much better on the touchpad than blown up on TV. The gamepad will also allow for keypad emulation for systems like the Intellivision. It will also allow for virtual keyboards for emulation of things like the Spectrum and Odyssey 2. If it could be powerful enough to do Dreamcast games (and I'm not sure it could) it would also be the only system capable of emulating the Dreamcast's VMU.

Roperious

Postby Roperious » February 3rd, 2017, 9:24 pm

Atarifever wrote:
Roperious wrote:

-R

One of only 2 systems I regret selling (the Jag is the other). Part of the reason I won't sell my Wii U is how sure I am it will be the next Saturn (expensive to collect, with an interesting and unique library).

Time does tend to fly doesn't it. You still in PEI? We took the kids there this summer. They thought Sandspit and Shining Waters were essentially Disneyland. :)

I'm in Nova Scotia now! Been working here after I graduated from Dalhousie. I get back to the Island fairly often, though.

I just bought a Wii U 2 weeks ago. When I realized they were discontinued, I knew people would be offloading them in anticipation of the Switch. I picked up a black deluxe model (CIB) with the following games for $300:

- Yoshi's Wooly World
- Smash Bros
- DKC Tropical Freeze
- Captain Toad
- Super Mario 3D World
- Super Mario Bros U + Super Luigi U
- Wind Waker HD
- GameCube controller adapter
- I also picked up a pro controller at EB.

I am really looking forward to trying a Wii U for the first time (if you can believe it!).

Return to “Video Games General”