I am never buying used games EVER again on Ebay

General and high profile video game topics.
LS650

Re: I am never buying used games EVER again on Ebay

Postby LS650 » February 4th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning of the contacts with Q-tips and alcohol, as suggested by the VGC.

Everyone wants to say never again to eBay, but where else are you going to buy some of these games? I've never seen Pitfall II in the wild. Let's face it, for a lot of items, it's either eBay or nothing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2017, 12:18 pm

I can see how repro carts could become a problem on Ebay. With the high prices of carts these repros are becoming more and more popular. Most of the time they look exactly like the real thing.

Usually you can tell a repro if it's "new" and a lot cheaper than the real thing. I don't have anything against repros when it comes to super rare games, but for something like Thunder Force 3 you shouldn't need to settle.

Personally I only buy stuff off ebay if there are pictures, which I study very carefully. If there's no pics, the seller is either lazy or trying to get one over on you.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 4th, 2017, 12:59 pm

LS650 wrote: Everyone wants to say never again to eBay, but where else are you going to buy some of these games? I've never seen Pitfall II in the wild. Let's face it, for a lot of items, it's either eBay or nothing.

I feel much the same way, although there has been several posts on people shopping at local brick and mortar places now.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 4th, 2017, 8:58 pm

eBay isn't even the worst place... You would think going to Gamestop, or a vintage game store would be a safe bet, but with a skilled repro maker, a lot of the time the only way you can tell if something is fake is to open it up. A lot of places don't double check which is even worst... Sure, bad repros are easy to spot- cheap plastic, stickers that look weird, I didn't use to check my games when I bought them but for the last couple of years any cartridge I buy I double check... It's a pain in the butt...

Return to “Video Games General”