POLL: Do you take more interest in collecting systems or games?

General and high profile video game topics.

Do you take more interest in collecting systems or games?

Systems
30%
Games
60%
I'm completely incapable of self-reflection and insist that both are completely equal to me.
10%

Total votes: 10

Retro STrife

POLL: Do you take more interest in collecting systems or games?

Postby Retro STrife » February 4th, 2017, 5:01 am

Or, put another way, are you more of a system collector or a game collector? With this question, I've always wondered which is more common. For some people there is an easy answer. For others it might take some thought. Obviously systems and games are intertwined to the point that you must collect both, but I genuinely believe that everyone leans one way or the other. Even if you're not the type of person to blow money amassing either games or systems, you can still try to reflect on the type you would be if you did do that.

For anyone struggling, here's some ideas to reflect on that might help... imagine walking into a huge gameroom with tons of systems displayed on the left wall and tons of games on the right wall--which way do you go first?.... or, if you won $100,000 that you had to spend only on gaming, would you want to amass a wealth of systems or would you focus on completing the game collections on a few favorite systems?.... or, would you take more pride in owning 100 systems or 5000+ games?.... or, Are you interested in buying "bad" systems or do you only want the best mainstream systems that had good games on them?

Personally, I feel like more of a system collector. I enjoy getting new systems - even bad systems - and then I try to get a representative sample of games for each system that I buy. I don't go too crazy trying to get big game collections for each system...if it happens, it's usually not by design. (The only exception is the Saturn, which I do try to pick up any game that I see at a good price.) I really love the machines themselves--the retro electronics--more so than the software. I like games too, of course, but the medium that piques my interest most is the hardware. I keep track of what systems I own, but I really don't care how many games I have. So I lean strongly toward the systems.

pacman000

Re: POLL: Do you take more interest in collecting systems or games?

Postby pacman000 » February 4th, 2017, 8:56 am

I'm a cheapskate, so I focus on buying games for systems I already own. Loose Gameboy & Atari carts are usually within my budget; new systems are not. I'd love to buy more PS1 games, but right now prices are over inflated by nostalgia. :( Guess I'll have to wait another decade before picking up a copy of Spyro: the Dragon. It's ok, tho. 2nd tier games, like Pacman World or Croc are still fun, and they only cost a few bucks, like the Gameboy & Atari carts.

For anyone struggling, here's some ideas to reflect on that might help... (1) imagine walking into a huge gameroom with tons of systems displayed on the left wall and tons of games on the right wall--which way do you go first?.... (2) or, if you won $100,000 that you had to spend only on gaming, would you want to amass a wealth of systems or would you focus on completing the game collections on a few favorite systems?.... (3) or, would you take more pride in owning 100 systems or 5000+ games?.... or, Are you interested in buying "bad" systems or do you only want the best mainstream systems that had good games on them?

1) I'd make a b-line for the games, first focusing on Atari, then the Playstation or Gameboy, then other systems.
2) That's the one time I'd focus on systems.
3) Both sound cool. 100 systems would look cool displayed, but 5000+ games might be more useful. Then again, would I ever be able to play that many games?

scotland

Postby scotland » February 4th, 2017, 12:55 pm

If I think about it as "Would you rather get a chance to play an rare/unreleased/prototype game or an rare/unreleased/prototype system" count me as a 'systems' guy. That probably explains my collection of Pong consoles.

By the way, thanks for making a poll question. Its kinda fun.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 4th, 2017, 1:07 pm

I certainly collect games more often but I enjoy discovering a new system more than a new game. The fact that I even have a desire to get an Atari Jaguar is probably enough to indicate that I'm a system collector. I know full well there are only a couple of games exclusive to that system that I'll even enjoy, but I still think it'd be cool to have the system.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 4th, 2017, 1:25 pm

My first thought was of course games. But the more I thought about it I'd prob go with systems. I was thinking I have many systems but some I just have a small collection of games for, like the Saturn. But each system had so many exclusives. So put me on the system side. Good question btw.

Return to “Video Games General”