Super Mario Odyssey looks wrong

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Super Mario Odyssey looks wrong

Postby CaptainCruch » February 7th, 2017, 10:36 am

I saw the trailer for Super Mario Odyssey for the upcoming Nintendo Switch a while ago. The graphics and gameplay look good, but does anyone else feels that it looks wrong (or at least weird)? For me, it doesn't look like a good fit: Mario in a world of 'normal' humans... (And it reminds too much of the horrible Sonic 2006 somehow).
(check https://www.inverse.com/article/26391-super-mario-odyssey-realistic-people-sonic-hedgehog-2006). Anyhow, I was wondering how you guys felt about the game.

Atariboy

Re: Super Mario Odyssey looks wrong

Postby Atariboy » February 7th, 2017, 10:05 pm

Watch the trailer all the way through. This is just one part of the game, with it my belief that it's the hub world for Super Mario Odyssey. The actual levels look to be traditional Mario fare.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 8th, 2017, 12:26 am

Atariboy wrote:This is just one part of the game, with it my belief that it's the hub world for Super Mario Odyssey.

You mean like in, uh, Sonic '06?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 8th, 2017, 6:57 am

While watching it, I couldn't help but feel it was all pre-rendered graphics. Most notably, the image you posted.

Honestly, I have never been in to these 3D Mario. I used to get so angry at Mario 64 when I was a kid. I still hate that game to this day. I tried Mario Sunshine when it came out, and it was just "meh" to me. The Galaxy games look interesting, but unless I get them for free I will probably never play them. I recently just bought a used WiiU and to my surprise it had the new 3D mario world game it. Played it for about 5 minutes and turned it off. Not my cup of tea.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 8th, 2017, 7:12 am

I feel that it was a matter of time, and concur that it just seems to be the hub....but who knows? Nintendonis never afraid to try something new.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » February 8th, 2017, 10:40 am

Rookie1 wrote:While watching it, I couldn't help but feel it was all pre-rendered graphics. Most notably, the image you posted.

Honestly, I have never been in to these 3D Mario. I used to get so angry at Mario 64 when I was a kid. I still hate that game to this day. I tried Mario Sunshine when it came out, and it was just "meh" to me. The Galaxy games look interesting, but unless I get them for free I will probably never play them. I recently just bought a used WiiU and to my surprise it had the new 3D mario world game it. Played it for about 5 minutes and turned it off. Not my cup of tea.

You make a good point. I still get frustrated a bit with Mario 64 and I'm 28. Not sure why I have so many copies of the game. I downloaded it for the wii when I first got one, have 64 DS, and downloaded it on the wii U when they started DS games on the virtual console. I guess I just let my love of Mario get in the way. It's tough to figure out the objective in most levels. I seem to have a tough time getting anything going.

I think it gets the praise it does for being, A: the first real 3d platformer and 2: a Mario game.

A lot of people love Sunshine and think it is the best 3d Mario, probably for the exploration aspect, but I don't care for it at all. I tried to get into it a couple times, but it wasn't my thing, and the levels were also frustrating I thought. I really liked 3d world and the galaxy games.

I don't mind the look of odyssey. I think it's interesting that people compare it to Sonic 06 because of the real life environments.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » February 8th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Though the more realistic environments aren't what we're used to when it comes to Mario, I'm still looking forward to this because it's, you know, Mario. At the very least, I think it's safe to say it won't be the crime against humanity that Sonic '06 was, even if it does superficially resemble it.

I just wish it would come out sooner than the end of the year.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 8th, 2017, 7:05 pm

Mario 64 was an awesome game, really impressive how they flipped the script for what a Mario game is--no more just running to the end of a level. That said, it was frustrating at times, but still impressive considering it wasn't that much less precise than modern 3D platformers.

I played Sunshine last year for the first time, and what I noticed is that the FLUDD thing helped with the ramped up difficulty, especially with precision jumps. But when the FLUDD was taken away for some levels--I was awful! Seriously.

Oh well. 2D games in general are much more enjoyable, so it's no surprise that Odyssey doesn't really interest me.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 10th, 2017, 9:36 am

Return to “Video Games General”