Mouse/Keyboard vs Controller

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Mouse/Keyboard vs Controller

Postby scotland » February 7th, 2017, 8:38 pm

There is some hullaballoo about console players using an adapter to play Overwatch with keyboard and mouse. The outcry is that those players have an advantage. I prefer a mouse and keyboard, but I thought that dual thumbsticks were just a skill to master, not inherently better or worse.After all, some people play PC games with a console controller.

What do you think? Is mouse/keyboard better for FPSers, or just a matter of taste?

Robotrek

Re: Mouse/Keyboard vs Controller

Postby Robotrek » February 7th, 2017, 9:04 pm

I'm writing a Half-Life 2 retrospective, actually, and this is an issue that comes up. I first played HL2 on Xbox (which, while good, made me suffer a bit), then on Xbox 360 (fantastic PC conversion). But then, when I finally played it on PC, I noticed the game got EASIER. But no, it did NOT get easier. What REALLY happened, is that KB+M is far more precise. Not only could I do platform jumping easier when it asked me to, but I could dispose of most enemies with the standard pistol. In fact, that's how I played the game for the most part on PC, was with the pistol. I've had the same experience with many other games, in fact. It's unquestionably, without a doubt, 100% more accurate. NOBODY can deny that. That being said, some people may prefer controllers. KB+M IS better, but in terms of preference, some people may stick to a computer.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 7th, 2017, 9:29 pm

I've always just used a controller, but I've also always heard that the mouse/keyboard combo has the edge when it comes to speed and accuracy, which I believe.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 8th, 2017, 7:21 am

I grew up with FPS games on the PC. WASD, Space Bar, Shift, and my trusty mouse. Decades later, I still would prefer that over a controller, even though I havent gamed on a PC in probably 15+ years. It just feels better to me.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 8th, 2017, 11:47 am

Mouse/KB for a FPS is inherently better and gives a large advantage over analog sticks.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » February 8th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Mouse/KB for a FPS is inherently better and gives a large advantage over analog sticks.

I remember discussing that with you when we played that custom Homer Simpson game of Team Fortress Classic. Been a while since then, hasn't it? Haha.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 8th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Everybody says that keyboard and mouse is better, and I believe them, but I've never been able to get used to using the wasd keys to move, and even aiming with the mouse is too janky for me. I'm the rare gamer that will always choose a twin thumbstick controller over a keyboard.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 8th, 2017, 5:58 pm

I played Quake III online on the Dreamcast back in the day, and I was really bad at it until I switched to a mouse. It gave me more precision. I imagine the same would be true for modern games.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 9th, 2017, 2:31 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Everybody says that keyboard and mouse is better, and I believe them, but I've never been able to get used to using the wasd keys to move, and even aiming with the mouse is too janky for me. I'm the rare gamer that will always choose a twin thumbstick controller over a keyboard.

This. Never used a keyboard and mouse, tried it and just found it ungainly. Probably just that used to joypads now.

Return to “Video Games General”