6/7/2006: Nintendo 64: Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 8th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Thanks!  You guys know your stuff, so it's good to know when I've "nailed" a review.
The N64's getting plenty of love.

andrew

Postby andrew » October 29th, 2006, 9:16 am

Critic, Goldeneye should get the A+, not perfect dark which should get an A- only because of its chronic stuttering. I know Goldeneye had its share of slowdown but it wasn't as  much and I found the expansion helped smooth out its framerate. The reason Goldeneye should get the A+ is because  it  was such a landmark title and Perfect Dark while great  uses a lot of what was good in Goldeneye and tweaked it . Goldeneye was the first legendary  movie license game(and almost the only) and  its multiplayer was and still is great. Goldeneye also had amazing location based damage that I find is more realisitic than most PS2 shooters like today Red Faction and any Medal of Honor game. Also think about how Goldeneye was always referenced in reviews. Constantly reviewers used to say, where's my Goldeneye for the PC or PSX or they'd say this is as close to playing Goldeneye without buying Goldeneye meaning Goldeneye was really held in such high regard. Perfect Dark may have improved nearly every area of Goldeneye (graphics, sound, multiplayer, etc.) but Goldeneye is the original and imo the original is always the best one.

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » October 29th, 2006, 11:41 am

[QUOTE=andrew]Goldeneye was the first legendary  movie license game(and almost the only)[/QUOTE]

Uh, the vector Star Wars coin-op from the 80's?

I'd still rather play that than Golden Eye.

andrew

Postby andrew » October 29th, 2006, 1:50 pm

[QUOTE=John Rowland]

Actually, your video game license was suspended when you tacked that minus sign onto the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night score.  You lost it when you didn't add a plus sign to Super Metroid's score. 

[/QUOTE]

If there was any reason for him losing his license its because Neither Super Mario 64 or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time received minimum A and instead got B+ each. In true Nintendo fans eyes both are landmark titles as both link and mario made perfect transitions from 2D to 3D and bottom line should both be A+ games.

aktuel

Postby aktuel » October 29th, 2006, 2:11 pm

I'd have to disagree, I concur with the Critic. The 3D Zelda games were overrated and were definitely inferior to the 2D installments. There's a reason why more people flock to Link to the Past rather than the 3D selections on the N64. In fact, in my opinion, the Critic went too easy on Ocarina of Time, it deserved a lower score. The dungeons and forests were uninspired and encourage aimless backtracking and wandering. I would much rather prefer exploring the locales in LotP.

a1

Postby a1 » October 29th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Give me 3d Zelda over 2d any day of the week. I have tried multiple 2d Zelda games: the original, the sequel, the SNES, and 3 GB versions, and have never been able to finish them. I just can't find it fun to play overhead 2d exploration games. I have however finished and loved every 3d Zelda. Its a matter of personal preference; I don't think either can be considered superior to the other.

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » October 29th, 2006, 5:21 pm

The expansion pack has zero effect on Goldeneye. The games have to be programmed to take advantage of the device. In Goldeneye, the expansion pack functions identically to the jumper pack that it replaced in the 64.

Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are both A+ titles in my opinion, and the best of the Zelda series by far.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 29th, 2006, 7:20 pm

For me, there is no bad Zelda game (from the official series).  In terms of the very best of the series, I definitely have to say the original "Legend of Zelda", the SNES entry "A Link to the Past", and the N64 entry "Ocarina of Time".

andrew

Postby andrew » October 29th, 2006, 9:37 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]

The expansion pack has zero effect on Goldeneye. The games have to be programmed to take advantage of the device. In Goldeneye, the expansion pack functions identically to the jumper pack that it replaced in the 64.

Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are both A+ titles in my opinion, and the best of the Zelda series by far.

[/QUOTE]

I'll have to diagree on that one. Does the single player benefit from it? of course not.
When you play 4-player multiplayer and eveyone shoots an rc p-90 simultaneously with the jumper pack installed, the framerate dissapears and instead of the gun shooting multiple rounds per second each one shoots like one round a second. Its horrible. With the expansion pack I found that when everyone shot an rcp-90 simultaneously,  the framerate remained more consistant with each gun firing  2-4 rounds a second which is closer to what the rcp-90 is supposed to do. So for 4-player multiplayer I found the expansion pack keeps the framerate more consistant than the jumper pack. I never once meant to say that the expansion pack increased the resolution of Goldeneye or suddenly gave it a silky smooth framerate. That would be downright stupid. 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » October 30th, 2006, 12:20 am

Wow....this thread is getting a lot of response for being so old. Could the new upcoming Zelda have something to do with it?

...I stopped buying Nintendo CONSOLES with the SNES; never got a N64 or cube-thus, I have never played a 3-D Zelda game. In fact I've only played 4 of the Zeldas. I played the first and LOVED it to death, played straight through both quests and wished there had been a third! I tried LINK TO A PAST:SNES ; I know many claim this as the best but I couldn't get into it. My love was stirred again with the GBC LINKS AWAKENING -I bought the manual to help me beat that; I'd actually call THAT little game the best Zelda (in color at least). Finally, I did buy the GBA Zelda game (I forget the name, the one where Link gets small), but could not get into it so I traded it. It was okay but not as rewarding as LINKS AWAKENING.

Return to “Review Feedback”