Dormant Sega Franchises

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut

Re: Dormant Sega Franchises

Postby Sut » February 20th, 2017, 10:16 am

I do sometimes think it's been overplayed how poor Sega have been though. As another poster has stated 'inconsistent' is probably more fair.

For example a few examples of Sega getting it right with an old franchise.

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Out Run 2
Shinobi (PS2 & 3DS versions)
House of the Dead Overkill
Sega Rally Revo

Also likewise Sonic gets slammed but he's rather like the Star Trek films, for every bad game there is a good game. But for some reason everyone jumps on his lesser outings.

Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors and Sonic Racing are very good games. Sonic Unleashed was a mixed bag and Sonic Heroes was Ok.

Let's see how the two new Sonic games and Daytona 3 turn out this year.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » February 20th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Sut wrote:Panzer Dragoon Orta
Out Run 2
Sega Rally Revo

Those titles are not 'recent', time is moving fast in the video game industry! :)

But I guess titles like
After Burner Climax
Castle of Illusion Remake (PSN/Xbox Live) weren't too bad... (but not really recent either...)

Sega just tries to cash in on the mobile market (like Nintendo will in the near future) with average games (in franchises that were once famous) like Sonic Dash 1 & 2, Sonic Runners, Crazy Taxi: City Rush, Zaxxon Escape and Shining Force Chronicles. So I'm afraid we will only see famous dormant Sega franchises re-appear as mobile games.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 20th, 2017, 3:22 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:
Sut wrote:Panzer Dragoon Orta
Out Run 2
Sega Rally Revo

Those titles are not 'recent', time is moving fast in the video game industry! :)

But I guess titles like
After Burner Climax
Castle of Illusion Remake (PSN/Xbox Live) weren't too bad... (but not really recent either...)

Anything HD is recent to me :lol:

GTS

Postby GTS » February 20th, 2017, 3:28 pm

A new Space Harrier downloadable would be nice.

Rod

Postby Rod » February 22nd, 2017, 11:02 am

When I think of this post, several great games of the past come to my mind... there is so much potential in all of them, and they could use this potential to either make awesome remakes or entirely new games based on the franchises. Some that I wish to see enhanced one day are:

-Eternal Champions - very nice graphics, bad controls that need to be addressed;
-Altered Beast - the GBA iteration was a really cool version, maybe a bigger version for modern systems (forget the crappy PS2 version);
-ESWAT - nice arcade shooter, haven't heard of it since the Genesis version came out;
-Alex Kidd - I really think there could be a 3D version of this game, in the same fashion of Mario 64;
-Gunstar Heroes - awesome Genesis shooter made by the wizards from Treasure;
- Ristar - how come there is only one game of this awesome character??

Well, these are the ones I remember now. If I remember any other, I'll post it here.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 23rd, 2017, 3:40 pm

A big sore spot for me, when it comes to Sega, is the way that they're jerking people around with the Shenmue remaster. I get that there are some hurdles to jump, in regards to different licenses, but every five months or so, for the past several years, the same news story crops up: "Sega investigating HD remaster." Umm, are they? Honestly, this is a perfect example of how they squander their franchises. They had no problems removing licensed songs/advertisements when they rereleased Crazi Taxi a million times over! At this point, I would almost be more accepting if they came right out and said "there is no real money to be made with a remaster, so we're not doing it."

It's a shame that Shenmue wasn't a Sega Genesis game, because it would have been rereleased fifty times over by now. :lol:

Arnold

Postby Arnold » February 24th, 2017, 3:41 pm

There are so many…
Streets of Rage (in 3D)
Golden Axe (in the same vein of Lord of the Rings for PS2)
Altered Beast (in the same vein of God of War 3)
Alex Kidd (in 3D. Sega owe us the last chapter of the original trilogy for almost thirty years! :x )
Beyond Oasis
Shining Force
Landstalker
Monster World
Phantasy Star
Soleil (Crusader of Centy)
Pulseman
Ristar
Astal
Kid Chameleon (in 3D)
Psycho Fox
Shinobi
Shadow Dancer
E-SWAT
Jewel Master
Fantasy Zone
Rent-a-Hero
Eternal Champions (in 3D, but not only a 3D fighting Game)
Bonanza Brothers
Toe Jam & Earl
Alien Storm
Vectorman
Kenseiden (in 3D)
Master of Darkness
Zillion
Psychic World
Black Belt
Quartet
Gangster Town
Wanted
Assault City
Outrun
Super Monaco GP
Gratest Heavyweights (in the same vein of Sega Genesis Original)
After Burner
Thunder Blade
Galaxy Force
Zaxxon
Quackshot (remake)
World of Illusion (remake)
Ecco the Dolphin
Comix Zone
Fighters Megamix (with a expanded roster of Sega Characters)
Sonic The Fighters (with a expanded roster of Sega Characters)
Panzer Dragoon
Arabian Fight
Burning Rangers
and even Sonic The Hedgehog in classic style/design lost since 1994, and never translated appropriately for 3D... :(

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » March 1st, 2017, 9:45 pm

I've always said that SEGA has been missing out on capitlizing on their own legacy. I thought when they purchased Atlus Games that there were murmurs of that studio going through SEGA's back catalog and resurrecting some franchises?

Anywho here are some can't miss ideas!

Altered Beast - I agree with Arnold...make this a God of War style game. I believe the original game was set in Ancient Greece and they could easily use that as the canvas for an ultra violent, over the top action/beat em up. You could earn XP to level up the different animal forms, and fight HUGE bosses.

Streets of Rage - Hire Platinum Games to make the game and just watch the money roll in. Just give them free reign to make the combat system and story and be prepared for a return to glory.

Panzer Dragoon - I'd say make it a sequel to Panzer Dragoon Saga. That is such a heralded classic and just by calling it Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 people would be interested in it.

Shinobi - Bring back Shinobi! Except I think this one should resist the urge to be in 3D. Get creative with art style and make it 2D. If it worked with New Super Mario Bros. I don't see why it wouldn't work with other great franchises.

Phantasy Star - Forgot all of the Phantasy Online games...just go back and make a traditional turn based JRPG in the vein of the old games. Hell, remake Phantasy II with modern graphics and gameplay tweaks. Just to test the waters.

Seaman 2!!! - Yeah the exclamation points are part of the title. SEGA was always known for producing kind of INSANE stuff, and that bizarre charm is part of their heritage. With controllers having built in microphones these days and touch screens they could do something pretty nuts with Seaman 2!!!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 1st, 2017, 11:42 pm

Arnold wrote:and even Sonic The Hedgehog in classic style/design lost since 1994, and never translated appropriately for 3D... :(

Sonic is getting its best chance yet at a proper sequel to the Genesis classics. Christian Whitehead and Simon Thomley are heading the team behind Sonic Mania and they're the ones behind the great HD Sonic remasters of Sonic 1-2 and Sonic CD.

So hopefully later this year, you can scratch this one off your list.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » May 17th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Here's some potentially good news for people in this thread:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... t_classics

Return to “Video Games General”