Good Superman Game?

General and high profile video game topics.
LS650

Re: Good Superman Game?

Postby LS650 » February 9th, 2017, 11:54 pm

I actually like the 2600 Superman game... :mrgreen:

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 11th, 2017, 5:19 pm

eneuman96 wrote:This almost happened on the NES. No, I'm not talking about the horrible Kemco Superman NES game, but rather an unreleased Sunsoft title (also just called Superman) planned to be released late in the system's lifespan before being turned into a lawyer-friendly version called "Sunman" and later cancelled altogether. There exist prototype ROMs for both versions of the game online, and what Sunsoft managed to put together was fairly decent for what it was. I get the impression that if Sunsoft kept the Superman character, polished the game, and released it, it would have been a genuinely good Superman game.

Wow! I never knew that. Doing a quick google search came up with the wiki link with more details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunman_(video_game)

That would have been awesome.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » February 11th, 2017, 7:34 pm

I think your best bet is Lego Batman 2 & 3. Yeah they're more focused on Batman, but you can still play as Superman and it's one of the best parts of those games IMO. They even have the Superman theme (from John Williams)! It's always nice to hear that song while soaring through the air, and that's one of the main reasons I love the Lego games: they take the simple idea of making a game based on their toy line, and turn it into an often sensational experience.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 17th, 2017, 7:45 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote: I suppose there's also the option of making it like an airplane/dogfighting game, like Ace Horizon or something. Like, you take off and then Superman automatically starts flying forward and you control him like an airplane. The problem with that, at least for me, is that airplane games are really disorienting. If you accidentally pass your target, you have to loop up, corkscrew sideways, and then locate your target. Which way is down? Am I still facing the same way, or am I heading in a completely different direction? Where'd my target go? Etc.

Here's a thought....'Laserdisc'

Well, not laserdisc anymore, but a Superman FMV kind of game...now with QTE action!

Sut

Postby Sut » February 17th, 2017, 1:20 pm

scotland wrote:That would have me motion sick in no time....I'll stick with flying with Space Harrier.

They tried a Superman Space Harrier style game:
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 11473.html

IMG_0661.GIF
IMG_0661.GIF (12.04 KiB) Viewed 2583 times

It's OK but may be better on stronger hardware.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 17th, 2017, 1:34 pm

The whole reason that flying is such an iconic superpower is that it's so liberating. To throw away the freedom of flight and lock it into QTEs would be terrible.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 18th, 2017, 7:21 am

There was a fun Superman game I used to play in the arcades when I was a kid. I remember me and my friends always trying to figure out who the player 2 superman was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0l6f3bmiGU

Arnold

Postby Arnold » February 24th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Superman for the Sega Genesis is a good oldschool action game. It's not a showcase for the system, but it's a rock solid game that take advantage of the abilities of the character.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 24th, 2017, 5:51 pm

I didn't even know about this Genesis Superman game, but now I'm intrigued.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 24th, 2017, 6:16 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I didn't even know about this Genesis Superman game, but now I'm intrigued.

It has a lot of elements reworked from Sunman and is basically the closest that game got to an actual release.

Return to “Video Games General”