2017/2/24: Playstation: Rage Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/2/24: Playstation: Rage Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 24th, 2017, 4:36 pm

I felt like these two reviews written way back in July of 1999 needed to be fleshed out more. The games definitely deserve the attention. They have stood the test of time quite well!

Kajicat

Re: 2017/2/24: Playstation: Rage Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4

Postby Kajicat » February 24th, 2017, 7:34 pm

You need to edit the Ridge Racer Type 4 review. You said it came with a bonus disk featuring a 30fps version of the original Ridge Racer when it is in fact a 60fps version. Created an account on here just to tell you this. :ugeek:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 24th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Much obliged sir! Fixing it now.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 25th, 2017, 11:32 am

Thanks for these; might have to pick up Type 4. I remember Ridge Racer Type 4 getting excellent reviews when it came out, with some even calling it the best racing game ever made. That was very high praise with Gran Turismo already on the market. I was interested in racing games back then, but my gaming dollars were limited to a few games a year, so I opted for Gran Turismo (and later, Gran Turismo 2). I think I made the right choice back then. Still- from your review it sounds like it's time I finally check out RR Type 4. Since it seems like it holds up really well, it makes me wonder if the GT games have held up well too. I haven't played GT1 and GT2 in almost 15 years.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 26th, 2017, 1:01 am

I have a ridge racer game on the 360 it was terrible. Archaic controls, graphics and handling. rubber cars that bounced along.

I reckon this series had it's day. When the first one came out, it was like nothing else every released. Somewhere along the way they lost that killer edge. On PS1 they could do no wrong on everything else they were also rans. Well the ones I played.

Good review. Though for me nothing will every take the place of the first game the first time I slotted into the game and was in the arcade. Perhaps Namco could get back to that... it still might be possible...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 26th, 2017, 10:17 am

My memories are a little vaguely (will need to consult my reviews) but it seems like the series tried to become more realistic and it lost its arcade flair.

I see that in modern games like Forza Horizons 3 (review coming this week). It's lack the pick-up-and-playability of a real arcade racer.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 26th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Graphically, Ridge Racer Type IV deserves praise too for how nice it still looks. Not hard to imagine this one with a resolution boost being a 1st generation Playstation 2 release. Of all the system's 3D racers, this one's visuals probably have aged the best and were amazing looking for at the time.

The 60 fps demo of Ridge Racer disappointed me. Just one other car on the track with you, as I recall. I'm not even sure if the alternate track layouts were included. I'd of loved to have seen it taken a bit further, particularly with the lack of an arcade perfect home version now that console hardware has long been up to the task.

VideoGameCritic wrote:My memories are a little vaguely (will need to consult my reviews) but it seems like the series tried to become more realistic and it lost its arcade flair.

15 years ago with Ridge Racer Type IV and V, they toned down the physics to be a bit less extreme, although I'd never use the word realistic to describe their handling.

The more recent entries such as the Xbox 360 title previously mentioned, are perhaps the least realistic physics in the history of the franchise. But sadly, much of the challenge of the 1990's arcade and home ports has disappeared since the cars are glued to the track and extreme drifts around corners are so easy to activate and control.

They compensate for the lack of driving difficulty with sometimes ruthless AI later in the game to maintain some difficulty, but the driving itself has lost a lot of the charm with its modern physics.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 26th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Forgot about R: Racing Evolution. That one really didn't feel like a Ridge Racer game.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the one that you're primarily thinking of, for an attempt to make a more realistic Ridge Racer title.

Return to “Review Feedback”