The Switch won't launch with a Virtual Console

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever

Re: The Switch won't launch with a Virtual Console

Postby Atarifever » February 25th, 2017, 6:01 pm

bluenote wrote:I may be in the minority here, but why are people so enamoured with virtual console with the switch? I'm not spending $400 on the newest console so I can play super Mario bros for the millionth time.

Here's a much more pertinent question: As people do seem to buy VC games and do want it at launch, why is Nintendo not throwing up a few simple ROM files that they already own and that already exist? Let's say you were in the business of selling groceries. At the counters in your store, you also sold gum. Eventually, your stores ran out of gum. All your customers began to write complaints in the complaint box that said "will not shop here again until you have gum. Every other store has gum at the counter." You get tons and tons of these letters. What is the simple solution that lets you keep customers happy and sell gum? What is the only choice here that leaves customers mad and leaves you with zero gum sales?

This is what Nintendo is doing. They're not selling VC games and are leaving people unhappy who would have bought them, all because they won't throw up ROM files you can otherwise get for free on the internet, that people will still pay for anyway. People are begging "Please sell me something I could get for free. Please please let me spend money I don't need to, on a thing you have 100% ownership of, that will cost you less than a penny to deliver to me for $5-10 in profit." And Nintendo is saying "no." Why? It is idiotic.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 25th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Atarifever wrote:
bluenote wrote:I may be in the minority here, but why are people so enamoured with virtual console with the switch? I'm not spending $400 on the newest console so I can play super Mario bros for the millionth time.

Here's a much more pertinent question: As people do seem to buy VC games and do want it at launch, why is Nintendo not throwing up a few simple ROM files that they already own and that already exist? Let's say you were in the business of selling groceries. At the counters in your store, you also sold gum. Eventually, your stores ran out of gum. All your customers began to write complaints in the complaint box that said "will not shop here again until you have gum. Every other store has gum at the counter." You get tons and tons of these letters. What is the simple solution that lets you keep customers happy and sell gum? What is the only choice here that leaves customers mad and leaves you with zero gum sales?

This is what Nintendo is doing. They're not selling VC games and are leaving people unhappy who would have bought them, all because they won't throw up ROM files you can otherwise get for free on the internet, that people will still pay for anyway. People are begging "Please sell me something I could get for free. Please please let me spend money I don't need to, on a thing you have 100% ownership of, that will cost you less than a penny to deliver to me for $5-10 in profit." And Nintendo is saying "no." Why? It is idiotic.

Equally frustrating is how they abandon VC, at random, without giving those who supported the service an answer as to why. It isn't because they ran out of games, since there are plenty of first party titles that never made it to the 3DS. They've actually told developers that they couldn't release specific titles! Capcom, for instance, wanted to release the NES version of Bionic Commando, but Nintendo denied the request. Seriously? You're going to refuse the offer of one of the best, most unique games on NES? A representative for Natsume had a similar story.

Like I said, it's irritating that Nintendo takes a "that's good enough" approach when they should be doing everything in their power to get quality games onto their platforms!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 26th, 2017, 1:06 pm

The lack of Virtual Console software probably has as much to do with the sales of the NES Classic as anything else. Hardcore gamers will complain about paying too much for the same titles again, and pirates will just pirate away, but the nostalgic masses?

bluenote

Postby bluenote » February 27th, 2017, 9:45 am

BanjoPickles wrote:
Atarifever wrote:

Equally frustrating is how they abandon VC, at random, without giving those who supported the service an answer as to why. It isn't because they ran out of games, since there are plenty of first party titles that never made it to the 3DS. They've actually told developers that they couldn't release specific titles! Capcom, for instance, wanted to release the NES version of Bionic Commando, but Nintendo denied the request. Seriously? You're going to refuse the offer of one of the best, most unique games on NES? A representative for Natsume had a similar story.

Like I said, it's irritating that Nintendo takes a "that's good enough" approach when they should be doing everything in their power to get quality games onto their platforms!

Good points, never thought of it that way.

Sounds like Nintendo is going to have the virtual console, but perhaps they are needing extra time to optimize it?

Return to “Modern Gaming”