Wonder Boy III remake on the Switch = The correct way to do a retro remaster!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
MoarRipter

Wonder Boy III remake on the Switch = The correct way to do a retro remaster!

Postby MoarRipter » February 26th, 2017, 9:44 pm

https://youtu.be/qwy351pLXas

This is very cool. Not only can you transition between the Sega Master System graphics and the HD graphics on the fly, you can do the same with the audio or mix it up if you want to have 8-bit graphics and remastered audio or vise versa. Additionally the game is compatible with all of the old passwords from the original game. That's the right way to do a retro remaster and I hope more games do the same in the future.

Rev

Re: Wonder Boy III remake on the Switch = The correct way to do a retro remaster!

Postby Rev » February 26th, 2017, 11:31 pm

This is a great way to handle the game and it seems like the developers have really thought this through. Is this going to be a physical release like The Binding of Isaac?

MoarRipter

Re: Wonder Boy III remake = The correct way to do a retro remaster!

Postby MoarRipter » February 27th, 2017, 2:24 am

Rev wrote:This is a great way to handle the game and it seems like the developers have really thought this through. Is this going to be a physical release like The Binding of Isaac?

I can't find an answer one way or the other. I first read about this game today on NintendoLife and the developer's blog says that it will be released this Spring for PS4/Xbone/Switch and later PC but I can't find anything about digital only or physical on their blog.

Rookie1

Re: Wonder Boy III remake on the Switch = The correct way to do a retro remaster!

Postby Rookie1 » February 27th, 2017, 8:31 am

Thats awesome. I love that so much more than the 2.5d nonsense.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 27th, 2017, 11:22 am

Man, if they'd launch with a number of these games that would make me want to get a Switch. Using your old passwords is a brilliant concept.

JWK

Postby JWK » February 27th, 2017, 2:34 pm

What Rookie1 said. I'm so sick of 2.5D games. Sure there's a right way to do them (thank you, WayForward!), but for the most part they just look cheap and will age like milk. 2D, sprite based games will look good forever. This one looks like a winner.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » February 27th, 2017, 11:36 pm

I was actually considering making a thread about good and bad remakes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm a huge animation fan so the retro features would have meant nothing to me when comparing the hand drawn art to the pixelated graphics. Though it's great to see that those who grew up with the game have the ability to reexperience it as they did before. Either way I'm looking forward to the game.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » March 11th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Honestly, I liked the other Wonder Boy III, Monster Lair. I would love to see that get a remaster, or at least rereleased in its original arcade form on PS4.

Return to “Modern Gaming”