Switch marketing (is there any?)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
zetax

Switch marketing (is there any?)

Postby zetax » February 24th, 2017, 8:49 pm

First thing, I don't have cable/satellite TV (I do have a bitchin' antenna, though!).

:arrow: Has there been any sort of commercial push for the Switch? If you aren't an avid follower of video games, would you have any idea that Nintendo has a new console coming out? I saw the so-so Superbowl ad, but that's all I've seen. How do they market to the masses? Do they? It comes out in one week, and if I didn't follow the interwebs, I'd have no idea that this thing is coming out... Does this matter? Does anyone who would ever want one keep up with this stuff on the internet?

Atarifever

Re: Switch marketing (is there any?)

Postby Atarifever » February 24th, 2017, 9:07 pm

I got kids. There's a lot of YTV and Disney XD, Disney Jr. etc. on here. It is wall-to-wall Switch ads. YTV is essentially Spongebob Squarepants episodes and cereal, Imaginators, and Switch ads 20 hours of the day.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 26th, 2017, 9:53 pm

I see a lot of signs in the stores. Haven't seen anything on TV other than the superbowl ad, but I pretty much stick to history, discovery, and animal planet if I am watching anything. I thought it was supposed to be a big push for an older group? I guess not that old lol.

Seriously though, most of the people I know who arent gamers dont know anything about it.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » February 28th, 2017, 9:30 am

First time I heard of a console at launch being advertised in theaters.
http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-co ... -theaters/

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » March 1st, 2017, 10:40 am

Showing the ad in movie theaters is a great way to get the word out, but I'm not all that sure if there are a lot of non-gamers who know about this. My dad is kind of a non-gamer (he played some NES over the holidays, and was frustrated by golf) and he only really knows about it because of my uncle posting about it online.

Non-gamers knew about the Wii, and I believe ads for it were everywhere long before it came out. I've seen the super bowl commercial replayed on cartoon network a few times, but that's it.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 1st, 2017, 2:41 pm

Saw one of those ads on kid tv I think Atarifever spoke of -

1) It highlights couch co-op
2) It highlights motion controls
3) It highlights being...sort of portable? It shows the Switch on its kickstand with people playing looking at the 6" screen instead of a television. It never shows the Switch in one person's hand playing it like a portable. So, it really is being marketed as a console you can take outside.

Return to “Modern Gaming”