Finally got a Dreamcast

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Finally got a Dreamcast

Postby jon » February 23rd, 2017, 2:33 pm

After years of contemplation, I finally decided to man up and get one. The only thing is, I don't have any games. I was wondering what the best 2d and 3d games are, while hopefully not being to expensive.

ESauce

Re: Finally got a Dreamcast

Postby ESauce » February 23rd, 2017, 5:38 pm

Just a tip for the really expensive games: the dreamcast can play burned CD-R's without any modding. So Powerstone 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 become a lot more affordable.

I recommend the above games, as well as Jet Grind Radio, Soul Calibur (the best 3D fighter ever made if you ask me), Tony Hawk 1&2 (the DC has the best version of those), Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Floigan Bros, Chu Chu Rocket (underrated puzzle game), Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Gauntlet Legends, Hydro Thunder (one of the best arcade racers of all time), Virtua Tennis (the best tennis game ever made), Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and I recommend Ecco the Dolphin, which isn't a great game but I find it is really fun just to swim around.

It's a fantastic system and I don't think you'll be disappointed. You can get quite a few of the best games on Dreamcast on other systems now, but there's nothing quite as satisfying as the Dreamcast beeping noises as the game loads.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » February 23rd, 2017, 8:58 pm

If your TV or monitor supports it I strongly recommend a VGA output box. I got mine two years ago on eBay for $25 brand new. Dreamcast games look awesome in 480p over VGA.

JWK

Postby JWK » February 27th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Congrats Jon. I think you'll really enjoy it, as it sounds like a system that would be right up your alley. Lots of arcade style games. You may already know this, but the Dreamcast was essentially the home version of Sega's Naomi arcade board so lots of Dreamcast games are basically arcade perfect.

The Dreamcast has, in my opinion, the greatest 2d fighting library of all time. Street Fighter 3/Double Impact/Third Strike, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Super Street Fighter IIX (best version of SF2), Capcom vs SNK, Capcom vs SNK 2, Vampire Chronicles (basically a Street Fighter Aplha 3 version of Darkstalkers), Last Blade 2, Garou: Mark of the Wolves (best SNK fighting game ever!), Jo Jos Bizzare Adventure, the list goes on and on.

Listen to the others here about burning games onto CD-Rs. Piracy was pretty rampant on the Dreamcast because you didn't have to mod a thing to play pirated games. I'm against piracy when a system is alive and well, but am I really gonna put $150 in a price-gouging reseller's pockets for Cannon Spike (awesome 3D Capcom arcade game)? Nope. So I burned it and play it for free.

The system has awesome sports games, which I don't usually like, but Virtua Tennis and the Tony Hawk games have aged very well. Look into Sega's other 2K games, too.

Buy a VGA cord off Amazon for $20, find someone giving away a CRT computer monitor on Craig's list, get a decent surround sound system and enjoy how ahead of their time Sega was with the Dreamcast. I have one CRT monitor in my game room and 3 back-ups in my garage. They're nice monitors and all 4 were free. I have a second Dreamcast hooked up to my Sony Wega Trinitron with S-Video, which is what I suggest if you don't wanna go the VGA route. Combined S-Video & RCA cables are also about $20 or less on Amazon and highly recommended if you don't get a VGA setup. Composite cables suck.

I know you hate RPGs, but the Dreamcast has two fantastic ones with Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II. Shenmue should be tried as well. Just in case you change your mind about an awesome gaming genre. :) Enjoy your Dreamcast.

jon

Postby jon » February 28th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. I appreciate it and am definitely going to use this as a reference and get some of those games. So far I have NFL 2k1 and Ecco the Dolphin. I'm interested to see how Ecco the Dolphin is because apparently the reviews are all over the place but I like the concept.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 28th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Good call Jon. I got both my Dreamcast and Saturn around the same time two years ago. I enjoy them both a lot. If I could only keep one it would be the D.C. Though. So many terrific games! I'm glad I added the Saturn too but it only has a handful of exclusive games that are good and affordable so my collection is small. However my D.C. library continues to grow. Enjoy! :)

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » March 1st, 2017, 9:55 am

Congratulations on getting a Dreamcast, that's my second favorite Sega system! (My first favorite being Saturn lol). Well, prices are starting to go up for this system's games too, but it's thankfully nowhere NEAR Sega Saturn price level, so you should be good to go for the most part. As for starting games that are affordable, I will suggest Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Adventure 1, Space Channel 5, and Crazy Taxi 1 since those are the ones I paid the least for, not counting sports games. They're all really fun, especially considering their low pricetags. The Ecco the Dolphin game is really cheap too, if you're into that series. Hope that's of help, and happy game hunting! :)

Return to “Classic Gaming”