Xbox One Game Pass - Netflix style gaming

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
scotland

Xbox One Game Pass - Netflix style gaming

Postby scotland » February 28th, 2017, 3:26 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14761576/xbox-game-pass-xbox-one-microsoft

Xbox One has a Game Pass, allowing access to a library of games by subscription.

Voor

Re: Xbox One Game Pass - Netflix style gaming

Postby Voor » February 28th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Wow. Really interesting. I'm guessing it's gonna be a huge hit.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 28th, 2017, 8:30 pm

I wonder if you will have to pay for xbox live for the ability to use this pay-to-use service? :lol:

Sut

Postby Sut » March 1st, 2017, 1:20 pm

To be honest I think this is where all media will soon be consumed. Video games will be no different.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 1st, 2017, 1:42 pm

Sut wrote:To be honest I think this is where all media will soon be consumed. Video games will be no different.

The on-demand subscription library is a pretty good model for both business and consumer.

The consumer budgets in and pays for the subscription, content creators find a way to monetize older media, there is not much need to market games (just the service) and it generates guaranteed income. It could even have tiers for heavier consumers. New games wouldn't roll onto the "Game Pass" for a period of time, say a year, to not hurt retail sales. Like with the many television media subscriptions, consumers have to be careful about spending lots of money unconsciously with multiple subscriptions, games would cycle on and off the service (this particular one has a 30 day offline feature so the game isn't instantly gone), and most games would be newer and more mainstream ones, not niche games.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 1st, 2017, 6:02 pm

Hasnt gamefly been doing this for a while though? I never hear anything about them, then again, I dont think you can use that service through your consoles.

https://www.gamefly.com/#!/streaming/how-it-works

https://www.gamefly.com/#!/games/

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » March 1st, 2017, 7:57 pm

Why does everyone, on every website I've seen (not just here) keep comparing this to Netflix. It's essentially Playstation Now, and that's old and getting ready to die. This is like if someone said "Sony is offering a new online service where you download games on a PC, from all kinds of publishers, and there are tons and tons and tons of games on there, and there are sales all the time dropping the prices by a mile, and you can get tons of games in early access, and there are achievements, and hats to buy, and mods. Yeah, it's like a bigger version of Origin." No, it's like Steam you would say. This is like that. This isn't like Netflix for games. This is just like Playstation Now, but on Xbox and with downloading.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » March 1st, 2017, 9:24 pm

Atarifever wrote:Why does everyone, on every website I've seen (not just here) keep comparing this to Netflix. It's essentially Playstation Now, and that's old and getting ready to die. This is like if someone said "Sony is offering a new online service where you download games on a PC, from all kinds of publishers, and there are tons and tons and tons of games on there, and there are sales all the time dropping the prices by a mile, and you can get tons of games in early access, and there are achievements, and hats to buy, and mods. Yeah, it's like a bigger version of Origin." No, it's like Steam you would say. This is like that. This isn't like Netflix for games. This is just like Playstation Now, but on Xbox and with downloading.

I came here to say pretty much this.

This reminds EXACTLY of Playstation now...except with downloading. I find it about as exciting as a pair of jeans with buttons instead of a zipper...

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 1st, 2017, 11:49 pm

It seems a lot more reasonably priced than PlayStation now.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 2nd, 2017, 7:25 am

Atarifever wrote:Why does everyone, on every website I've seen (not just here) keep comparing this to Netflix.

I pulled it right from the Polygon headline. You can certainly argue its not new, and its not news, but it is a subscription based library of media available for download, and 'so, kinda like Netflix for video games' is a totally reasonable and appropriate shorthand.

Return to “Modern Gaming”