Console Wars on YouTube

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Console Wars on YouTube

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 1st, 2017, 11:44 pm

I was just browsing around YouTube and I stumbled upon two guys who do a series called Console Wars.
In their latest they talk about the Genesis version of Primal Rage versus the SNES version. Interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9W37y66fU

They aren't as over-the-top as the AVGN, but they still seem to be having a good time.
If I ever did a video series with my friends I suspect it would be similar in tone.
I'll have to check out their other stuff.

CharlieR

Re: Console Wars on YouTube

Postby CharlieR » March 3rd, 2017, 9:12 am

thanks for posting! I look forward to watching the other vids, but I did check out the NBA jam one. I had always heard the SNES version had better colors, but it is very interesting how this series goes in-depth with each version and puts everything into perspective. Great watch.

JWK

Postby JWK » March 3rd, 2017, 12:15 pm

I've been watching these guys for a couple years now. They are pretty funny, the show is well edited with good production values and the games they cover are usually great. It's one of the YouTube video game shows I look forward to.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 3rd, 2017, 4:19 pm

They are very thorough - maybe to a fault. When they were comparing the music tracks in Primal Rage, they played all the tracks back-to-back. Informative but probably overkill. Had to fast forward through that part. Sometimes less is more.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » March 5th, 2017, 7:50 am

I'll say it again: man do I miss the time when different consoles got different versions of the same games. Things were always different as the programmers optimized (or took shortcuts) for the various systems. It made playing games at a friends' house more interesting, made getting a second system or newer console more exciting, and has really made collecting years later a lot more fun. I also believe it made for mostly better quality games, as the aim was optimization for hardware, so the music, controls, etc were aimed directly at what a system could do best, not what the average of all systems was doing.

Can you imagine this show for Xbox One vs. PS4? "My framerate holds at a steady 30 frames, while yours sometimes dips as low as 28 frames. On your console, you press B, but on mine you press O."

It's my favourite thing about the Wii library. The Wii was like the Genesis or Atari. It was under-powered for much of its generation, but was too popular by far not to be developed for. This lead to some strikingly different games on the Wii vs the Xbox/PS3, that were sometimes completely different games than on the HD systems, or even different genres.

Return to “Video Games General”