Why won't the DVD die?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Robotrek

Why won't the DVD die?

Postby Robotrek » March 6th, 2017, 1:18 am

I found this chart yesterday and was blown away: http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2016

Why was I blown away? Because DVD, a 20 year old format, is still selling very impressively. The top 10 DVD's last year appear to have sold damn near 15 million units, and generated over 240 million dollars in revenue. That's a crazy high amount of money to have been generated from such a dated format. Together it appears that DVD's brought in almost a BILLION dollars in revenue, which is STAGGERING.

Now of course, that's not much when you compare it to THIS:http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2016

But it's still massively impressive. It actually sort of restores my hope for the future of physical media. I seriously hope that it sticks around for longer than we had all anticipated.

Robotrek

Re: Why won't the DVD die?

Postby Robotrek » March 6th, 2017, 11:45 am

Whoops, it appears I placed this in the wrong topic, could a mod kindly move this to "other media"?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 6th, 2017, 12:09 pm

This is actually pretty disheartening to me. I don't know anyone who still doesn't have a flatscreen TV, but people are apparently still buying their movies in a format that looks like blurry garbage on flatscreens. Why go to the trouble of buying a decent TV if you're just going to waste it? Why spend that money and then cheap out on the one thing that would justify that spending?

How friggin' stupid are people?

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » March 6th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Stalvern wrote:This is actually pretty disheartening to me. I don't know anyone who still doesn't have a flatscreen TV, but people are apparently still buying their movies in a format that looks like blurry garbage on flatscreens. Why go to the trouble of buying a decent TV if you're just going to waste it? Why spend that money and then cheap out on the one thing that would justify that spending?

How friggin' stupid are people?

My mom doesn't have a flatscreen yet (though she IS 72 years old) , though ironically, she DOES have a blu-ray!

That said, I agree. Why go through the trouble of getting one if it won't look good? My uncle has both a blu-ray and a Wii, but strangely enough, he INSISTS on watching Netflix on his Wii! WITH AV CABLES NO LESS. I guess some people don't care, or just wanted to brag about their giant TV screens.

But thankfully, as said, Blu-Rays ARE outperforming DVD's. I'm just glad physical media still has a future, so it won't bug me tooooo much.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 6th, 2017, 8:08 pm

DVDs are durable media and I don't think they look bad at all on the big screen. I was watching my old Seinfeld DVDs over the weekend and I didn't even notice the quality.

DVDs always had the best packaging: sturdy plastic, glossy inserts... Plus my DVD let me do basic stuff like return to the main menu at any time. Blu Ray players are ridiculous for saying "you can't do that" for no good reason. I like Blu Rays for their picture, but they really don't have much else going for them.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » March 6th, 2017, 8:58 pm

I think one of the main reasons DVD is still around is peeps don't want to have to replace their entire collection. I have a few blu rays but the quality is not Night and Day to me. I notice very little difference. The sound more than anything, not the picture. I upgraded once from VHS to DVD. Major difference from DVD to blu ray. DVD is still great! And shut Your pie hole stalvern!

Rev

Postby Rev » March 6th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Has anyone noticed how flimsy blu ray players are? I have had maybe 2-3 DVD players, all the cheapest model (last two were 30 bucks each) and 2 of the 3 still work. The other one only stopped working because the VHS section broke, not the DVD player... My partner went through about 6-7 blu ray players in 4 years. He was a huge movie lover and used it a lot but the fact that they had a life span of 6-8 months, for each one, different models, is insane. Blu Ray players also have weird issues such as refusing to play 1 blu ray out of several hundred movies... My PS3 has been more reliable than all my blu ray players. Also... DVD players always start up right away but all the blu ray players I've owned will open the tray right away but it won't respond to inputs from the control until you let it sit on, for 10-15 seconds... I don't mean to complain because I do own a lot of blu rays but man... they are a pain in the butt sometimes.. Better technology, flimsier hardware.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » March 6th, 2017, 9:10 pm

I still prefer VHS anyway, so...

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » March 6th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Watching DVDs on a Full HD screen looks ugly when the DVD player is connected to the TV with composite cables. When it is connected through HDMI, the quality is fine, in my opinion.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 6th, 2017, 9:34 pm

DVD is a measurably inferior medium. Same material as Blu Ray, but a fraction of the capacity. There's no way to argue something that's that black and white. Not to mention the picture quality--you'd have to be partially blind not to see the difference.

I don't know if Blu Ray players are flimsier than DVD players, but what I do know is that software updates for Blu Ray players are the most godforsaken thing ever devised.

Return to “Other Media”