Why won't the DVD die?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Why won't the DVD die?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 6th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Great point about software updates for Blu Ray players. What in God's name do I need this for?
Isn't Blu Ray a standard??

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 6th, 2017, 11:23 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Great point about software updates for Blu Ray players. What in God's name do I need this for?
Isn't Blu Ray a standard??

It probably has something to do with copy protection.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 7th, 2017, 2:14 am

A lot of people are either too poor or too lazy to bother investing in a Blu-Ray player, even in an age where the two most popular game consoles have one built in. I remember a fair amount of people taking forever to upgrade to DVD from VHS even in the mid-noughties.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 7th, 2017, 9:36 am

Well, DVDs won't be phased out as easily as VHS because Blu-Ray is not as huge of a jump and, more importantly, because Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible with DVDs. Not everyone wants to spend $15-$20 on every new movie they buy...sometimes you're willing to settle for the cheaper DVD version. And some people don't care about picture quality, especially for certain types of movies. I really don't need to see a 1080p version of most comedies...the SD version is usually just as funny. And the jump in picture quality is not so huge that you have to do it (nowhere near as big as VHS to DVD). I'm not as mystified by this one..I think it makes perfect sense that DVD is still around and I hope it stays around.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » March 7th, 2017, 9:56 am

Stalvern wrote:This is actually pretty disheartening to me. I don't know anyone who still doesn't have a flatscreen TV, but people are apparently still buying their movies in a format that looks like blurry garbage on flatscreens. Why go to the trouble of buying a decent TV if you're just going to waste it? Why spend that money and then cheap out on the one thing that would justify that spending?

How friggin' stupid are people?

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. I watch DVDs all the time on my 42" LED, and they look just fine. I also watch Blu Rays. One thing, is my blu ray player does upscale my dvds (and I believe most DVD players upscale nowadays).

The difference between bluray and dvd is nowhere near the difference that vhs was to dvd.

I still buy a lot of dvds over bluray. Mostly old comedies, which I really don't need on bluray. However, I do buy movies that have good visuals on bluray (Star Wars, etc).

Return to “Other Media”