Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
David

Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Postby David » March 7th, 2017, 8:12 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:What does BotW do that The Witcher, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, Kingdoms of Amalur, and others don't?

I was listening to a podcast and the guy brought up a perfect point to describe how this game differs. The game doesn't pressure you to do anything. In basically every other open world game, there's always something telling you to go here, do that, look at that thing, here's a million quests that you need to do. Zelda doesn't do that at all. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of stuff to do if you look for it, but it doesn't shove it in your face.

In town, maybe someone will hint at a secret shrine in Faron Woods. Or a fairy shrine being nearby. Or hint about the ability to resurrect. In other games it would throw another thing onto the pile on things to do and stick something on the map. In Zelda, a lot of times it doesn't go onto a list, and it won't hold your hand about what to do. You can get to it if you want, or you can ignore it and do something else. Even if you don't like open world games I'd give this one a try. It's the best one.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 7th, 2017, 8:43 am

These one-hit deaths are aggravating too. And so much stuff kills you in this game. Ever play "Alex Kidd in High-tech World"? You turn on a computer in that game and you're dead. You go down the stairs and you're dead. With absolutely nothing to warn you of your impending doom. BotW is like that as well. The world is not only huge, but it's dangerous as well.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 7th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Can I just say, I love this. I love how everybody (not just you, literally everybody on the internet) started this game and had absolutely nothing bad to say about it. But as you keep playing, you start saying, "You, I don't really like this. This is pretty annoying too. Oh, and this is downright bad." I wonder what the final verdict will be after completing the entire thing?

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » March 7th, 2017, 10:17 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Can I just say, I love this. I love how everybody (not just you, literally everybody on the internet) started this game and had absolutely nothing bad to say about it. But as you keep playing, you start saying, "You, I don't really like this. This is pretty annoying too. Oh, and this is downright bad." I wonder what the final verdict will be after completing the entire thing?

Well, it has already gone from Best Game Ever to being compared to Alex Kidd in High Tech World. So, I'm guessing by the end it will probably be rated alongside games like Bubsy 2 and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties :P

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 7th, 2017, 11:37 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:But as you keep playing, you start saying, "You, I don't really like this. This is pretty annoying too. Oh, and this is downright bad." I wonder what the final verdict will be after completing the entire thing?

You know what? The more I play it, the more I love it. Best game I have ever played!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 7th, 2017, 11:43 pm

snakeboy wrote:Well, it has already gone from Best Game Ever to being compared to Alex Kidd in High Tech World. So, I'm guessing by the end it will probably be rated alongside games like Bubsy 2 and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties :P

I can definitely say that it's better than Action 52.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 8th, 2017, 2:12 am

Herschie wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:But as you keep playing, you start saying, "You, I don't really like this. This is pretty annoying too. Oh, and this is downright bad." I wonder what the final verdict will be after completing the entire thing?

You know what? The more I play it, the more I love it. Best game I have ever played!

That's awesome, Herschie. You sound like you are having a fantastic time, and really making 2017 be a stand out year in your hobby.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 8th, 2017, 10:00 pm

One thing I particularly love about this game is its ability to sidetrack me to such a degree that I literally can't make up my mind about which objective or spot on the map to visit next. Pretty much every open-world game tries to do this, but I've never been as captivated by sidequests in, say, GTA, than here. There is so much stuff to do in this game it's insane, and it somehow hasn't gotten tedious yet. Paragliding off one of the towers or any other high ledge will never get old.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » March 8th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Herschie wrote:
snakeboy wrote:Well, it has already gone from Best Game Ever to being compared to Alex Kidd in High Tech World. So, I'm guessing by the end it will probably be rated alongside games like Bubsy 2 and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties :P

I can definitely say that it's better than Action 52.

Ha! Maybe they should put that on the back of the case: "Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild...definitely better than Action 52!"

I will find out if that is true soon since I should be getting the Wii U version in the mail in the next day or two. My guess is that no matter how good it is, I will find somthing that I won't like about it. I'm a fairly big fan of Zelda games, but I could probably come up with at least one thing in each game that I don't like.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 9th, 2017, 8:12 am

Okay, here's the big question: Is this better than The Witcher 3? I bought that game because everybody was screaming about it being the best open world RPG ever made, but I was severely underwhelmed by it. Not a bad game, but not the religious experience everyone said it would be. Will Breath of the Wild be able to satisfy me better?

Return to “Now Playing”