Overwatch

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Overwatch

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 6th, 2017, 8:48 am

I'm a casual fan of Team Fortress 2, so I've wanted Overwatch ever since it was first released. Having played a few matches, my first impression is... confused. I really, really want to like it, but there are a couple things holding me back. First, while the different heroes are all visually interesting, it only seems like a couple of them are actually worth playing as. The fact that only one person is able to play as each hero at a time only exasperates this problem. I did decently when I was playing as Reaper, but when somebody else grabbed him before I could it didn't seem like any of the other heroes were as good at dealing out damage as him. Maybe I just need to practice with the others, but this definitely seems like a negative to me.

Also, on a minor note, why doesn't this have a story mode? I mean, I'm perfectly fine with shooters being multiplayer focused, but after all the time and effort they put into the different characters, giving them entertaining personalities and cool backstories, it seems like a waste to to not include a story at all. With the FPS market dominated by grim, edgy realistic shooters, I would be SO DOWN for a more lighthearted shooter.

ESauce

Re: Overwatch

Postby ESauce » March 6th, 2017, 11:18 am

I would definitely practice some more. Reaper is a good character for a beginner but as you play more you'll feel comfortable moving to other characters. When you're on the character select screen hold left on the d-pad to see the move list, and in addition it shows a star rating for how difficult the character is to use. That rating doesn't mean the character is better; it only indicates the difficulty of using them. For a beginner I would say to stick with 1 star characters until you get used to the game. I would say the easiest characters in each category for a beginner are:

Attack: Soldier 76 or Reaper - Be aggressive but stay alive. Don't forget to heal yourself with Soldier.

Defense: Junkrat - Beginners usually forget about their mines and traps so try to remember you have them. A good beginner strategy is to lay the mine on the trap and when someone gets caught in the trap you can detonate the mine. For the most part you can just fire your gun wildly into corridors and rack up easy kills.

Tank: Reinhardt - your main job is to hold up that shield for your team. Kills are secondary, especially as a beginner. The shoulder charge can take some practice before you land it consistently, so stick with aiming it at opposing tanks.

Support: Mercy - Stick with healing and ignore damage boost until you get more familiar with the game. Also ignore your pistol except as a last resort if you're cornered.

When I started I usually stuck with those characters, and I still play as them from time to time, but my best character in each category is:

Attack: Pharah-frankly I'm not great with any attack hero
Defense: Mei
Tank: Zarya
Support: Ana

You'll notice that aside from Pharah those are all 3 star difficulty characters. Part of the reason I'm better with the 3 star characters is because they require more strategy and less inherent FPS ability, which I lack.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 7th, 2017, 6:35 am

I do not like these MP online only games. I have battle bore which as far as I can work out is the same idea. Overwatch was free for a weekend on xbox. I did not bother with it. Battefield one was also free last weekend. MP only. I did not bother with it.

I see a pattern emerging.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 9th, 2017, 12:33 am

BlasteroidAli wrote: Battefield one was also free last weekend. MP only. I did not bother with it.

Um Battlefield is not MP only, not even that free weekend. I downloaded it and played some of the single player game.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 10th, 2017, 10:47 am

ESauce wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote: Battefield one was also free last weekend. MP only. I did not bother with it.

Um Battlefield is not MP only, not even that free weekend. I downloaded it and played some of the single player game.

Oh damn!!!!! Oh well..

Return to “Now Playing”