PS Vita - need game recommendations

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Gentlegamer

PS Vita - need game recommendations

Postby Gentlegamer » March 13th, 2017, 10:34 am

I decided to get a PS Vita while some are still available new, now I need game recommendations!

I have the below coming from amazon

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Dungeon Hunter Alliance
Tetris Ultimate
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
Soul Sacrifice
Child of Light

JWK

Re: PS Vita - need game recommendations

Postby JWK » March 14th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Gravity Rush
Hot Shots Golf
Wipeout 2048
Killzone Mercenaries
Unit 13

If you like Japanese RPGs (like Child of Light), this will become a very long conversation. But Persona 4 Golden is taking the red pill. Then an entire niche world opens up...

Let me know if you want recommendations in this area of gaming. I have 50+ retail Vita games and most are these weird, quirky JRPGs, visual novels, etc. It's an awesome system, especially if you're into JRPGs.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 15th, 2017, 5:11 am

Don't forget about Jeff Minter's Tempest 4000, otherwise known as TxK. I've also enjoyed Motorstorm RC: Complete Edition, one of the few overhead racers of recent years.

I wish the handhelds were cheaper. I own a PSTV, but Uncharted Golden Abyss and a few other odds and ends I wouldn't mind checking out, aren't compatible with that version of the Vita. I had been hoping Uncharted would see a PS3 port when that system was still alive just like many a PSP release did in the later days of the PS2, but no such luck.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 15th, 2017, 11:27 am

I like JRPGs and quirky games, but visual novels and probably Persona is too weeb for me.

I understand I can jailbreak a PSTV, so I ordered one, too. Uncharted won't play properly because it requires certain Vita-handheld features.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 15th, 2017, 12:03 pm

So I didn't correctly remember an intriguing sounding suggestion from this thread and downloaded a game called Gravity Crash Ultra a few minutes ago instead of Gravity Rush.

So far though, it seems like an excellent use for $3.49 and a pleasant mistake. Only have spent 20 or 30 minutes on it, but it seems like a nice modern take on several classic games like Thrust. :)

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 15th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:I like JRPGs and quirky games, but visual novels and probably Persona is too weeb for me.

I understand I can jailbreak a PSTV, so I ordered one, too. Uncharted won't play properly because it requires certain Vita-handheld features.

Give Persona 4 a chance, man. It's such a well-made game. Even mentioning it in the same breath as those other games seems like doing it a disservice because it's far and away the best thing on the Vita.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 16th, 2017, 4:18 am

Sonic All-Star Racers and Dead or Alive are some of the best 90's style games on the system - they're like a portable arcade, except they blow away anything you could have bought back then.

Rogue Legacy is a Metroidvania for sadomasochists. It's the rare combination of short burst thrills and the promise of deeper rewards that makes it a better portable game than it was on on PC.

Tearaway - What happens when an N64 platformer grows a heart. Stay far away, if you're allergic to warmth and charm.

Octodad - finding the humor in ragdoll physics and analog control.

zetax

Postby zetax » December 27th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:I understand I can jailbreak a PSTV, so I ordered one, too. Uncharted won't play properly because it requires certain Vita-handheld features.

Gentlegamer, did you ever try the PSTV whitelist hack? Has anyone here tried to softmod a PSTV to play all Vita games?

Return to “Modern Gaming”