The Disney Afternoon Collection announced for Everything but the Nintendo Switch!

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

The Disney Afternoon Collection announced for Everything but the Nintendo Switch!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 15th, 2017, 1:12 pm

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/bl ... n-april-18

This is ridiculous, no Nintendo Switch port, not even a 3DS port like Mega Man Legacy Collection from last year. You must go to Capcom Unity forums and tell them to make a port for either the Nintendo Switch, or even the 3DS, because their is zero reason why this and the Marvel vs Capcom games are not on the Nintendo Switch which can easily handle this along with the Marvel vs Capcom games!

BanjoPickles

Re: The Disney Afternoon Collection announced for Everything but the Nintendo Switch!

Postby BanjoPickles » March 17th, 2017, 10:45 am

When I read this, I was irritated by the news....but then I thought about it, and it makes sense, in a way.

When you go on Nintendo forums, and the topic of third-party releases pops up, there are countless "I buy Nintendo consoles for 1st party games only" comments. I think that developers of the retro rereleases are figuring out that many of the potential buyers of such collections have moved on to PS and MS. The Nintendo fanbase shifted, at some point in the late 90's. Those gamers who bought an SNES for Street Fighter II, Zelda, and Final Fantasy are now buying PS4's for Street Fighter V, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Final Fantasy XV. Nintendo's biggest mistake was deemphasizing the importance of third parties, because it has become a weird sort of rallying cry for their biggest devotees who honestly believe that Nintendo can carry the load by themselves. Disney Afternoon Collection, I believe, has a greater chance at selling on PS4 than it does Switch.

It is troubling, though, that so many developers are already saying "thanks but no thanks," much like they do for the Wii U, and how Nintendo fans don't even seem phased by it! I've actually had hardcore fans tell me that Nintendo is going nowhere, and that they can't fail! Totally delusional!

Sonicx9

Re: The Disney Afternoon Collection announced for Everything but the Nintendo Switch!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 17th, 2017, 12:35 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:When I read this, I was irritated by the news....but then I thought about it, and it makes sense, in a way.

When you go on Nintendo forums, and the topic of third-party releases pops up, there are countless "I buy Nintendo consoles for 1st party games only" comments. I think that developers of the retro rereleases are figuring out that many of the potential buyers of such collections have moved on to PS and MS. The Nintendo fanbase shifted, at some point in the late 90's. Those gamers who bought an SNES for Street Fighter II, Zelda, and Final Fantasy are now buying PS4's for Street Fighter V, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Final Fantasy XV. Nintendo's biggest mistake was deemphasizing the importance of third parties, because it has become a weird sort of rallying cry for their biggest devotees who honestly believe that Nintendo can carry the load by themselves. Disney Afternoon Collection, I believe, has a greater chance at selling on PS4 than it does Switch.

It is troubling, though, that so many developers are already saying "thanks but no thanks," much like they do for the Wii U, and how Nintendo fans don't even seem phased by it! I've actually had hardcore fans tell me that Nintendo is going nowhere, and that they can't fail! Totally delusional!

Speaking of which, did you know that over 300 relevant PS3/Xbox 360 games made/release during the Wii U time skipped the system despite it being more then capable of getting ports from the PS3/Xbox 360, here is the list!: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... utput=html And if you have noticed, their are some games that skipped the Wii U that you might find surprising!

WWE 2K series (The WWF/WWE games where common place on Nintendo sense the NES, and where big on the N64!)
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (The Wii/Nintendo DS got Geometry Wars: Galaxies back in the day WTH!)
Legend of Korra
Transformers: Devastation
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games(I know these games suck, but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have been with the Nintendo consoles sense the NES days)
Capcom Arcade Cabinet
Strider
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Frozen: Free Fall - Snowball Fight(Not even a family friendly Disney game want to be on the list, and it is not the only one mind you)
Pac-Man Museum (Another WTH game that should have been on it in the first place!)
Juju (Anotehr family friendly game that would have been ideal, but said no!)
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Another family friendly Disney game to skip the family friendly Nintendo Console!)
Sonic the Fighters (A family friendly Sonic game skipping the Wii U, now that is absurd!)

And not even stupid shovelware games like Duck Dynasty and Monopoly said no to Wii U, and the original Wii had buckets of shovelware games left and right, does proves a point that the Wii U was shafted compared to the Xbox360/PS3 even during the PS4/Xbox One early years!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 17th, 2017, 1:19 pm

I just looked up the sales of DuckTales Remastered and it sold better on Wii U than on any other platform, so i don't think your theory holds up Banjo

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 17th, 2017, 1:34 pm

ESauce wrote:I just looked up the sales of DuckTales Remastered and it sold better on Wii U than on any other platform, so i don't think your theory holds up Banjo

No offense, but how, exactly, did you obtain the figures? VGChartz? Their numbers have been proven, time and again, to not be the most accurate. Also, there is no way to measure the sales since digital sales figures are never disclosed. Did the retail release for Wii U eclipse that of the PS3/PS4? Most likely, yes. I guarantee you, though, that if the sales figures for the digital release were revealed, it'd paint a different story.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 17th, 2017, 2:33 pm

ESauce wrote:I just looked up the sales of DuckTales Remastered and it sold better on Wii U than on any other platform, so i don't think your theory holds up Banjo

The original is an NES classic, which is more or less comparable to a Nintendo property in that mindset. The same loyalty applies.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 17th, 2017, 3:49 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:

No offense, but how, exactly, did you obtain the figures? VGChartz? Their numbers have been proven, time and again, to not be the most accurate. Also, there is no way to measure the sales since digital sales figures are never disclosed. Did the retail release for Wii U eclipse that of the PS3/PS4? Most likely, yes. I guarantee you, though, that if the sales figures for the digital release were revealed, it'd paint a different story.

No offense taken. I did use vgChartz since there was really no other source available. I don't think it's a guarantee that the digital release paints a different story though. Sure, maybe Wii U owners are more prone to liking a physical release, but plenty of Wii U owners download games too, especially small downloads like this one that would fit on the system memory easily. Plus, the fact that the physical release sold more on Wii U is remarkable given how small the install base is compared to the PS3 and 360. I think that indicates that the market for a retro 2d game might actually be larger on a Nintendo platform. Look at Shovel knight. They're clearly selling well on Nintendo if they're willing to bring the game to Wii U, 3ds and Switch.

I think it's very possible this game will be released on Switch and we're assuming too much since it isn't launching on Switch. It takes time and money to port a game. This very well might be available in the coming months, after they have time to gauge interest.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 18th, 2017, 4:52 pm

ESauce wrote:
BanjoPickles wrote:

No offense taken. I did use vgChartz since there was really no other source available. I don't think it's a guarantee that the digital release paints a different story though. Sure, maybe Wii U owners are more prone to liking a physical release, but plenty of Wii U owners download games too, especially small downloads like this one that would fit on the system memory easily. Plus, the fact that the physical release sold more on Wii U is remarkable given how small the install base is compared to the PS3 and 360. I think that indicates that the market for a retro 2d game might actually be larger on a Nintendo platform. Look at Shovel knight. They're clearly selling well on Nintendo if they're willing to bring the game to Wii U, 3ds and Switch.

I think it's very possible this game will be released on Switch and we're assuming too much since it isn't launching on Switch. It takes time and money to port a game. This very well might be available in the coming months, after they have time to gauge interest.

Thanks, man. I'm sorry if I came across with any attitude whatsoever. I, like countless others, want the system to succeed....but I don't want it to succeed like the Wii succeeded. No, I want it to succeed like the SNES, PS1, PS2, and others. What I mean by that is that I want developers to not regret taking real risks, and be rewarded for their genuine efforts. No more half-hearted ports, no lazy conversions of iPhone games. Does it have to be a mirror of what the PS4/XBox 1 are? Not entirely, no, but it wouldn't hurt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynintendo ... witch/amp/

This is scary, and shows how far down the priority ladder Nintendo has fallen. Remember the GameCube? That system had so many awesome first party titles, but it also had the remake of Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, Soul Caliber 2, Resident Evil 4, Super Monkey Ball, Baten Katos, Rogue Squadron, Eternal Darkness, the remake of Metal Gear Solid, etc.. The system may not have done well, but it was nice having real third party games along with first-party content. It's depressing that Nintendo has fallen so far off that only 3% of developers are making games for the Switch!

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 18th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I feel like it needs to be addressed. No system has thrived, on a global scale, without meaningful contributions from third parties. Nintendo makes some of the best games in the industry, yes, but they can't succeed by themselves. Even the Wii, through the mountains of junk games, had some pretty stellar third-party games (No More Heroes, Boom Blox, Trauma Team/Center, Zack and Wiki, NBA Jam, etc.).

Esauce, I hope that you're right. E3 will be a huge determining factor for me. If the system doesn't gain back some of the third-parties that they've lost, I think that I may sit this one out.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 18th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping that it will replace the 3ds as Nintendo's handheld so developers will feel like it's the system to bring unique retro games to. It seems like with super bomberman r and street fighter 2, this might be the way developers are seeing it. There's no way it's getting direct ports of Xbox and PS4 games, so it would be better I think if developers would have to develop unique versions of multiplatform games for it, like they had to with Nintendo's past portables.

It feels like I'm getting off track of the topic so I'll add that I'm glad to see cap on re-releasing these old Disney games. Maybe they'll do a Genesis/snes era collection at some point

Return to “Video Games General”