For Honor DLC $730

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

For Honor DLC $730

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 21st, 2017, 10:42 pm

The subtitle of this article is: The worst of free-to-play design is coming to full-price, pay-to-play titles.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/ ... 200-hours/

Didn't we all see it coming? And guess who the culprit is? Ubisoft. My favorite!

Thoughts?

Crummylion

Re: For Honor DLC $730

Postby Crummylion » March 21st, 2017, 11:08 pm

Another online-only game? Ew

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 22nd, 2017, 10:08 am

I've been a self-inflicted victim of this type of scenario myself, as I've spent $25 extra on NBA 2K17 this week just buying extra VC points to upgrade my MyPlayer character. I hated doing it, but it was a necessary evil, because I wanted to get online to play pick-up games with my player, but I'm months behind everyone else. So I just wanted to quickly get my rating up to speed, so that I could actually play competitively with and against people online. Of course, 2K Sports intentionally makes the grind for upgrades long and hard, so that it compels people to skip that grind and just buy VC (upgrade points) with real money. In all of these games where you can play for upgrades or buy them outright, the companies intentionally make the grinding option arduous and boring, so that you don't want to do it, but add a lot of incentive to have an upgraded character, so that you feel like you need to get the upgrade to enjoy the heart of the game...thus compelling you to just buy the upgrade. Basically against everything you believe in, Dave.

In my line of work, I once knew of a divorce case where the husband spent thousands of dollars playing Game of War (which is a "free-to-play" game on iPhone and Android, with tons of microtransactions). As I recall, the wife alleged it to be somewhere around $10,000 that he spent, and it was a contributing factor to the breakdown of their marriage (both the hit to their finances and the way the game consumed his life). That's how addictive these pay-for-upgrades systems can get in games.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 22nd, 2017, 10:19 am

Games are being designed to require grinding to encourage players to pay extra to not play the game.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 22nd, 2017, 8:20 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The subtitle of this article is: The worst of free-to-play design is coming to full-price, pay-to-play titles.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/ ... 200-hours/

Didn't we all see it coming? And guess who the culprit is? Ubisoft. My favorite!

Thoughts?

To add insult to injury critic, the game has all online DRM in Single Player wonderful, not!

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/12/ub ... drm/18867/

It is a huge shame the Ubisoft does not care for Rayman anymore, and would like to become the next EA and Activision, being a shandy corrupted company, LOL!

Return to “Modern Gaming”