Horizon Zero Dawn

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Horizon Zero Dawn

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 27th, 2017, 11:26 am

I can't believe nobody's made a thread about this game yet. What, is everyone still off playing Zelda? I'm interested in this game, but I'm hesitant to shell out when it's still at full price. Anybody played it? Is it worth it? I've heard a lot of comparisons to The Witcher 3, which also makes me hesitant since I didn't like that game.

JWK

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn

Postby JWK » March 27th, 2017, 2:11 pm

I'm really excited to play Horizon, but I'm not going to until I finish Persona 5. That's gonna be a minute. :)

Right now I'm playing Drakengard 3 (PS3) and I'm almost done. Just wanted another game in the series after playing the masterpiece NieR: Automata (PS4). Also slowly working my way through Steins;Gate on Vita, which is a visual novel with a great story. Other than, all eyes are on Persona 5.

But Horizon: Zero Dawn is next on the chopping block. I actually haven't heard the Witcher 3 comparisons. But I've heard plenty of Rise of the Tomb Raider and Ubisoft open-world comparisons. I don't like Western RPGs much either. But this one looks fantastic and has almost a 90 Metacritic, so it's universally praised (if that means anything). Anyway, if you get to it before me,let us know how you like it!

Sut

Postby Sut » March 27th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Damn I'm in the same boat was waiting for someone to post their thoughts. It's on my radar but probably not until June.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 27th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Tomb Raider meets Turok with a bit of Skyrim thrown in. Hmmm might be good but the developer has a chequered track record as they used to make Killzone series.
Will look and see if one of my pals gets one.

Rev

Postby Rev » March 27th, 2017, 9:47 pm

I feel like this game is probably being swept under the rug since Breath of the Wild has kind of stole the show in the last month... Has this game been selling well? It'd be a shame if this game doesn't do well because everyone is playing Breath of the Wild instead...

Scratch that- I double checked and it's selling very well... Why is no body talking about this game?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 30th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Rev wrote:I feel like this game is probably being swept under the rug since Breath of the Wild has kind of stole the show in the last month... Has this game been selling well? It'd be a shame if this game doesn't do well because everyone is playing Breath of the Wild instead...

Scratch that- I double checked and it's selling very well... Why is no body talking about this game?

It sold a million copies in its first 3 days of release. I would assume that it is going to wipe the floor with zelda purely because Nintendo never produce enough machines early on.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » March 30th, 2017, 10:04 pm

I have been playing horizon off and on for a few weeks, whenever time permits. I love this game. It is a mix between modern tomb raider games, Skyrim and Far Cry 3. I really like the story which is easy to follow. Also, your main enemy is dinosaur like machine monstrosities which are really well done. All in and all a fun game. Lots of customization and I really like the menu. The in game menu does a good job organizing everything. I have not played Zelda so I cannot compare the two. From what I can tell from the reviews it is a great game too.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 9th, 2022, 3:39 pm

Quick question: does this game have the following?

— 1 hit deaths
— breakable weapons
— 3D puzzles

(All things I dislike about BOTW)

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 9th, 2022, 6:20 pm

Voor wrote:Quick question: does this game have the following?

— 1 hit deaths
— breakable weapons
— 3D puzzles

(All things I dislike about BOTW)

1. No (unless you jump to your death on purpose from too high)
2. No
3. No (but there are one or two basic puzzles here and there ala Tomb Raider)

HZD should not really bear a close comparison to BOTW, it is much more a linear action game with a gentle smattering of RPG elements. Witcher 3 is a closer comparison but Witcher 3 is much more RPG based.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 10th, 2022, 9:50 am

If you’re on the fence, definitely play it. I actually disagree a little bit with DrLitch— I think that BotW and HZD share a ton of similarities, at least superficially. I was actually like 10-15 hours into BotW, and then felt an urge to finally try HZD. I never went back, played 100+ hours of HZD, and it’s the longest I’ve played a game in the past decade. BotW was excellent, but HZD is a superior game in almost every way and has the progression and story to keep you hooked in a way BotW can’t.

Return to “Now Playing”