LEGO City Undercover Nintendo Switch port requires 13GB install/requires the internet to start!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

LEGO City Undercover Nintendo Switch port requires 13GB install/requires the internet to start!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 27th, 2017, 3:59 pm

http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-city ... on-switch/

This sure does not sound like good news for people like critic/others, and you may need a big Micro SD card just to fit this game as the 13GB will eat up the 32GB storage!

Thoughts?

fod

Re: LEGO City Undercover Nintendo Switch port requires 13GB install/requires the internet to start!

Postby fod » March 27th, 2017, 5:10 pm

To be clear, both the physical retail and digital download versions of LGU requires a 13GB install.

The latter is not a big deal, as it's a current-gen AAA game, but the former is outrageous. It's a cheap move by the publisher who obviously doesn't want to pay for the cost of a 16GB memory card.

Crummylion

Re: LEGO City Undercover Nintendo Switch port requires 13GB install/requires the internet to start!

Postby Crummylion » March 27th, 2017, 8:07 pm

My solution? Don't buy the Switch.
I had high expectations from Nintendo, despite many of these being shaken and I thought not having to wait to download parts of the games would be the saving grace. But it seems that it might not be the case. I hate the generation of having to wait a whole and lose free time just to launch a game when we had pick up and play games. I already have a console that requires waiting, so one's enough. Maybe I can wait it out and see if others are doing the same poor move, but until then I'll avoid this. Thanks.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 28th, 2017, 8:01 am

Making me reconsider the Wii U version.

I had been wanting it there, but it was out of print and getting expensive, so I waited. Then suddenly the Nintendo Selects line was reborn and it reappeared for $20. I gradually bought what I wanted from those rereleases and then just before getting this for my last Selects release, the NS/PS4/XB1 ports were announced for Lego City Undercover.

Now, it's looking like waiting for the Switch version to have the ability to use a regular controller (No Pro Controller support on the Wii U) and to combat the notorious load times on the original Wii U version (And save some wear & tear on the disc drive), might not be such a great trade.

Perhaps I'll wait and see how the PS4 version performs, if I ever make that transition.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » March 28th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Dave may lose it on the one. Ridiculous!

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » March 28th, 2017, 3:52 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... -on-switch

According to an update from the publisher, you do not have to install the game to the console to play the cartridge version. Maybe the box is wrong, maybe WB is backpedaling, more information is coming.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 28th, 2017, 8:44 pm

The game is already printed, so they can't back out now. Street date is a week from now and the reason this got out there is someone took a photograph of a retail copy that had been shipped to their store in advance of next week's release. More likely since the Wii U version was 19 gigs and it's hard to imagine Warner Brothers bucking the industry trend and more than halving that total for a newer port of this game, they're just being intentionally misleading.

Speculation is that the opening segment of the game and the immediate area are accessible immediately with the 7 gigs that's actually contained on the cartridge or the 7 gig download off the eShop, without the need of this 13 gig patch to first be installed. Doesn't solve a thing if true since the bulk of the experience still must be downloaded, although I suppose it's slightly better than having to download a huge patch the moment you fire the game up the first time.

I tend to subscribe to that thought that they're misleading us to deflect criticism by stating the game is immediately playable out of the case but conveniently without confirming that 13 gigs must still be downloaded to actually complete the experience from start to finish, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Something's fishy, somewhere.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 28th, 2017, 9:26 pm

It's Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 all over again. That game was savaged for basically doing the same thing as this one, so hopefully that will be the case here as well.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 29th, 2017, 4:57 am

Sounds like it was just a misprint after all.

I wonder if the day 1 update will end up 1.3 gigs? Would help explain how this typo occurred.

Return to “Modern Gaming”