I think I'm a one console gamer

General and high profile video game topics.
Chris D.

I think I'm a one console gamer

Postby Chris D. » January 18th, 2009, 8:53 am

I just go through phases. Though I'm not limited to one console, I seem to stick with one at a time for certain periods of time. Lately I've been on a PS3 kick, but have been using it to play PS2 and Playstation games too.

Prior to that I was playing my 360 and nothing else for a couple of months. Before that, the Wii was mostly what I was using, but half of my Wii time was spent with Virtual Console games.

For handhelds, I mostly like playing the DS, but if I play the PSP it's usually a compilation of older games like the Genesis collection or EA Replay.

scotland

Re: I think I'm a one console gamer

Postby scotland » March 30th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Chris D. wrote:I just go through phases. Though I'm not limited to one console, I seem to stick with one at a time for certain periods of time. Lately I've been on a PS3 kick, but have been using it to play PS2 and Playstation games too. Prior to that I was playing my 360 and nothing else for a couple of months.

Found this old thread about our Atarifever way back in 2009 basically only playing his 7800 and nothing else. Steer said he played then then modern Wii and nothing else. I suppose playing just a single modern system is common, but most of us enjoy older systems too. I'm more like the gentleman above, in that I cycle through consoles. I always find it amazing how the Critic toggles so quickly through systems (and I think makes his opinion an educated one.)

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » March 30th, 2017, 10:53 pm

I have all my systems either chained together RF wise or on the AV switcher, so changing between systems isn't complicated. My Dreamcast and N64 probably get the least play, (Wait... take that back. It's the Wii. Don't even have that hooked up currently) while the SNES and the PS2 get the most. (GC gets a lot too, come to think of it.) I don't think I'll ever be a one console guy. I miss my 8 bit cpu, (had an Apple IIe with a crap ton of games growing up) my nes, and especially my genesis. (Really miss the genesis.)

I love seeing the stages of evolution in gaming. I would love to mess around with an atari and especially the 80's systems from before my time. The Vectrex, Odyssey, Intellivision etc. Maybe I'll see them one day come into my wife's thrift store, that would be awesome. But even if I only play a system for 30-40 minutes once a few months, I view it as worth having. It's one of the few things, (The other being DnD books) I genuinely like to collect.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 31st, 2017, 4:03 pm

I'm this way. A big part of that is growing up and people either had a SNES or a Genesis. I didn't know anyone that had both.

These days, lots of people own all 3 systems. Too much redundancy for me, plus waaaaaayyyy too much money involved.

Another issue for me is that I've always been a Nintendo guy and always stick to the franchises, so I'm rarely tempted by MS and Sony.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » April 1st, 2017, 11:43 am

I'm no longer just playing 7800. In fact, I find it one of the hardest systems to play now, as I put my CRTs away and the 7800 display on the HDTVs is horrible. I also just ordered a video capture thing to start recording some of my gameplay sessions, and the only thing I know it won't record is the 7800 (I have an AV option available for every other system).

If I had to give up every system but one these days, I think I'd keep just the Wii. If I ever get the money to get someone to AV my 7800, I'll go back to it more.

I do tend to cycle years of preferring a system, with the 7800, Gamecube, and Wii getting the longest times in the spotlight (and as a result, the largest collections).

Sut

Postby Sut » April 1st, 2017, 4:27 pm

Some interesting posts. I tend to flip flop between focusing on one system to constantly system jumping.

I enjoy seeing what different systems offer, what their strengths are and their weaknesses. But then I find I'm getting annoyed with myself because of lack of focus and truly exploring a game so I go back to a single system binge.

I found my best solution to be having one 'main' system per 'generation' but I even broke this rule with a Wii and Dreamcast when my system choices were the PS2 and PS3, then there are the home computers I'm fond of.......

Atarifever - Never thought you'd be able to box away the 7800. I'm sure it's just a tiff and nothing serious ;)

Return to “Video Games General”