Top 10 Best Games You Played That the VGC didn't review (yet)...

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Top 10 Best Games You Played That the VGC didn't review (yet)...

Postby CaptainCruch » April 8th, 2017, 1:45 pm

1 Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color)
2 Gunman Clive 1 & 2 (Nintendo 3DS eShop)
3 Command & Conquer 3: Red Alert (Xbox 360)
4 Final Fantasy Tactics (Game Boy Advance)
5 GTA: Chinatown Wars (Nintendo DS)
6 Kirby's Adventure (NES)
7 Hotel Dusk (Nintendo DS)
8 Gardenscapes (Nintendo 3DS)
9 Shinobi (Nintendo 3DS)
10 Double Dragon Advance (Game Boy Advance)

(this list was actually pretty hard to make, since the VGC reviewed so many games and I don't like RPG's either...)

ESauce

Re: Top 10 Best Games You Played That the VGC didn't review (yet)...

Postby ESauce » April 8th, 2017, 8:30 pm

I haven't played a few of these but I feel like there's got to be a better game than Shinobi (3ds) that the critic hasn't reviewed yet. I found that to be a decent game but nothing mind-blowing.

I mean, offhand, I know he hasn't reviewed Lolo 2 or 3 on the NES, both of which are B games but I'd prefer over Shinobi. I imagine there are some A games he hasn't reviewed out there that I would find if I dug through his reviews.

Did you like Shinobi a lot more than I did or were you just running out of games that the critic hadn't played and you liked?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 8th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Most of my favorite games are on the PC, so I don't expect them to be covered any time soon, but I am surprised that Earthbound doesn't have a review. Nothing for Wipeout HD either, even though it's in one of the banners. And it's a travesty that the C64 Critic hasn't said anything about Sentinel, Maniac Mansion, Project Firestart, or the Turrican games. (I honestly wouldn't mind contributing C64 reviews like DaHeckIzDat sometimes does with RPGs...)

jon

Postby jon » April 9th, 2017, 1:51 am

For me too, the best games I've ever played include a lot of computer games. There are so many pick up an play games from the 80's and 90's (I quit in the late 90's when things got way too complicated) that are so memorable and exciting. A lot of those I eagerly look forward to playing again in the future. There's a whole reservoir of developers that released some amazing stuff back then. In fact, in the waning days of the "16 bit era" it was so unfair that a lot of the great computer games didn't get more recognition or popularity for that matter. There was a time in the early 90's that computer games were running laps around the home consoles. Yes I'm thinking about the SNES.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 9th, 2017, 2:10 am

Not including RPGs or PC-only releases:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
Vanquish
Hotline: Miami
Super Meat Boy
Binding of Isaac
Battle of Olympus
North and South
Shadow Complex
Landstalker
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

Super Meat Boy has had no physical release in America, but it does has a UK release on the PS4 (which is region-free). Shadow Complex have a physical release through Limited Run Games for the PS4, but copies of the game are already getting pretty expensive. Hotline Miami 1 & 2 can be had through a Japanese import (with options for English text) for the PS4, although only the original game is on disc - the sequel is only included as a download code.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » April 9th, 2017, 4:42 am

ESauce wrote:Did you like Shinobi a lot more than I did or were you just running out of games that the critic hadn't played and you liked?

I guess you're right - I was running out of games the VGC didn't review yet :). I wouldn't label Shinobi 3DS as 'classic', but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

velcrozombie wrote:Not including RPGs or PC-only releases:
Vanquish

Yeah, forgot about that one, great game!

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » April 9th, 2017, 7:33 am

Pokemon Gold/Silver
Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 10th, 2017, 1:50 pm

I'm surprised the VGC hasn't reviewed Pokemon Snap yet considering it's a very easy and fun game to get into. Don't even have to be a Pokemon fan to enjoy it.

Kirby 64 is another one. Pretty good game that's better than most Kirby games because of the scenic variety and the kickass combo powerup system that has I believe over 20 different combinations you can have.

Shinobi 3DS is a surprising omission considering the VGC is a fan of Shinobi. Brutally challenging and worth playing.

Jet Force Gemini is insanely challenging but also satisfying as hell. A nice N64 classic.

Bonanza Bros is really underrated in my opinion. Love the cops and robbers style of gameplay.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » April 12th, 2017, 10:45 pm

I'll try to keep this list short on RPGs and I won't list PC games.

10. Space Station Silicon Valley (N64)
9. Heart of Darkness (PS1)
8. Beyond Oasis (Genesis)
7. Tecmo's Deception (PS1)
6. Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti (Famicom)
5. Earth Defense Force 4.1 (PS4)
4. Pacman Vs (Gamecube)
3. Fable (Xbox)
2. Folklore (PS3)
1. The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (PS2/Xbox/GCN)

They aren't really in order...but yeah lots of great stuff that I think the Critic would love.

Dave, if you only buy one thing from this list make it either Earth Defense Force 4.1 or Pacman Vs. Pacman Vs is one of the best multi-player/party games you will ever play! It requires a GBA with a Gamecube connection cable, but you've probably accidentally acquired one of those throughout your years of collecting. It's totally worth the effort to setup and play. Trust me.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 13th, 2017, 10:09 am

To the OP--I think Link's Awakening is a great point. I believe the Critic has said that he believes that Link to the Past is the best game ever (or close to it), and Link's Awakening is probably the closest cousin to that game. Hotel Dusk is a really good suggestion too--there's a hidden gem for the DS for sure, that was well received by critics but flew under gamers' radar. I like the suggestion of Final Fantasy Tactics, though the PS1 original or PSP remake is the way to go over the GBA game--and even though FFT is a strategy-RPG, the VGC did play and give an A+ to Vandal Hearts, and FFT is a much better game in the same genre.

Velcrozombie...love the mention of North & South (NES), since I throw that request out to the VGC any chance I get. Shadow Complex (Xbox 360) is a great choice too..can't believe he never tried that, because I think it'd be an easy A for him. It's like an old-school mix of Uncharted and Castlevania/Metroid, and the best downloadable game I've ever played.

Personally, I think the two most glaring omissions from the VGC's reviews are Final Fantasy VII and Pokemon Blue or Red. I know these are RPGs, but they are such important and influential games that the Critic should give them a shot someday, even if it's a few years away. Since they're so important, I'd love to see his personal take rather than assigning it to the RPG Crew (nothing against them, of course!).

Return to “Video Games General”